DNS Software for end users

I want to offer some client DNS hosting only and trying to work out the best way of doing it. Is there are software people would recommend which is specialiased in this or an outsourced company

Thanks

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

There are so many software available out there to do DNS management.... For a freebie software, you could download and install Webmin. It comes with BIND8 control module, and there is a separate BIND9 module and even dynDNS module out there somewhere as well.

Although, if you are going to do this on the same server as you are hosting web/email with a control panel of some sort, then be careful. Webmin does not do any checking if another CP is already in place, so you would need to be very careful in using it on the same server, personally I would setup separate DNS servers which would serve just those DNS customers, just to keep it straight.

There are many many other options as well, heck you could do it all from the shell, but then you wouldn't have a pretty GUI...LOL

If webmin doesn't float your boat, post back and I'm sure we can give you some other suggestions for commercial (paid) software DNS managers...

Well this is something where I can give fine grain control to end users so they can add/remove domains to our public name servers without having to email support.

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Ah, so you want something similar to what no-ip.com does. In that case, Webmin will *not* be the one for you. You wouldn't want all clients having access to all other client's zone files....

I'll have to do some checking to see which ones out there are setup that way. I've only dealt with the ones where the hosting admin would be the one making changes, so they allow access to *all* zone files....

You may be able to set Virtualmin up in such a fashion; it provides a more web-hosting tailored view for users, allowing them to modify their own virtual hosts and zones, but not other's. I'm not sure if it's possible to separate out just the BIND module though.

You could also quite quicky whip up something in your language of choice to control one of the SQL-based DNS servers, like MyDNS.