Layeredtech bad support!

Hi
    I've bought a server with layeredtech at Jun 17 2005.
    it was a rapid deploy server and they gave me the server login information within 6 hours after my payment has been made.
    till that time, everything was going well.
    I transfered my backups from the old server to this server and tried to restore them.
    the first reseller restored completly, but I got an error for the others and after that time, I couldn't even create a new account and DirectAdmin errored me when I wanted to create any new user or reseller.

I opened a ticket with them and the following conversation are talked between us:

Sun Jun 19 2005 05:22AM by .....@yahoo.com
    Hello,
    When I want to create a user, the following error occur:

Error creating user: pwd_mkdb: corrupted entry pwd_mkdb: at line #247 pwd_mkdb: /etm
    Cannot find a home directory after the system user creation for golhanet
    The home directory for golhanet was not created.

golhanet is the username.
    I just rented the server yesterday from you and I'm sure I didnt make any damage on the server!

Please check it.
    Thanks

===[ Client Details]===
    Client ID Number :: xxxxxxxxxxxx
    IP Address:: xxxxxxxxxxx
    Operating System:: FreeBSD 5.x
    Root Password (Optional):: xxxxxxxxxxxx
    Mon Jun 20 2005 01:50AM by support at layeredtech . com
    Hello,

We are looking into this issue for you and hope to have it resolved as soon as possible.

Thank you,

James
    Layered Technologies
    NOC Engineer/Assistant Manager
    Tue Jun 21 2005 03:00PM by support at layeredtech . com
    Hello,

Please provide the ssh/root logins to your server along with Direct Admin logins. Please also provide a way to duplicate your error.

Regards,

Kent
    Wed Jun 22 2005 03:01AM by .....@yahoo.com
    Hello,
    I've sent you the root password. anyway here it's again:
    root password: xxxxxxxxxx
    IP: xxxxxxxxxxxx
    Admin Username: admin
    Admin password: xxxxxxx

Just try to create a user via admin reseller level and you'll see the error.
    Also to let you know, I can not change users password on the server via root or directadmin.

Thanks

Client IP: xxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jun 22 2005 04:42AM by support at layeredtech . com

Hello,

You have a FreeBSD server. The last request was for ssh/root logins. You already provided the root logins, but we also need an ssh user and logins to remotely connect to your server.

Regards,

Kent
    Fri Jun 24 2005 12:45AM by ....@yahoo.com
    it is now a week passed from renting the server from you. but I can not create my hosts.
    it is the third time I am sending the root password for you.
    the problem is as follow:
    1) after I retored the first reseller backups, this error happened. NO MORE USER CAN BE BREATED. I can not even change the admin password via ROOT ssh.
    2) right now, I can not create my resellers, and I can not bring my resellers, to my new server. it is now 3 days that my resellers are down. please check it as soon as possible.

root password : xxxxxxxxxxx
    admin password : xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Thanks
    Fri Jun 24 2005 06:46AM by support at layeredtech . com

Hello,

I understand that you have already provided the root password, but I had requested earlier for the ssh user logins as well. You have a Freebsd server, and you can not login remotely with the root user. Please provide me with a ssh user logins, this is different from root logins. As soon as you provide the ssh logins we will be able to look into your issue further.

Regards,

Kent
    Fri Jun 24 2005 09:08AM by ......@yahoo.com
    Hello,
    Sorry, it was my mistake. here it's the ssh logins:

# SSH Login Information:
    Username: xxxxxxx
    Password: xxxxxxx

but please let me now what's the difference between SSH logins and Root logins.

Thanks
    Sun Jun 26 2005 01:58AM by .....@yahoo.com
    Hello,
    It's now 2 days passed that I've sent you the SSH Logins.
    may you tell me what's the problem and when it will be fixed?
    I'm losing my customers because of this problem

Thanks
    well, today is 29 Jun 2005.
    it's now more than 12 days that I bought the server from them and yet I don't have the server fully work and I'm losing my customers.

I changed my datacenter because of bad support and the new one (layeredtech) also providing me bad support!
    I just dont know what to do with these terrible datacenters.
    Last edited by Odd Fact; 06-29-2005 at 01:04 PM.

Error creating user: pwd_mkdb: corrupted entry pwd_mkdb: at line #247 pwd_mkdb: /etm
    Cannot find a home directory after the system user creation for golhanet
    The home directory for golhanet was not created.
    did you mean to use

/etc ?
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

LT is unmanaged - this is a software issue. If you need managed hosting you will want to go with a managed hosting provider.
    crucialparadigm - Affordable, Reliable, Professional :
    Web Hosting
    24/7 Support Web Hosting Reseller Hosting Cloud/VPS Plans Dedicated Servers

I am creating users via direct admin. and direct admin gives me this error. and there are no dictation mistake in the error.

Hamed,

LayeredTech is unmanaged, they don't even need to help you with this. The fact that they are helping you at all is very kind of them.

--GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

I know lt is unmaged datacenter, but the problem is on the first step of using the server, I just didnt restore my customers comepletly and this error happend.
    also, they didnt told me it's not their duty in the ticket. they told me they are trying to resolve the problem.

Originally posted by hamed
    I am creating users via direct admin. and direct admin gives me this error. and there are no dictation mistake in the error.
    DirectAdmin is software, as long as it worked when you got the server they don't technically need to help you keep it working, that's your job with an unmanaged server.

Originally posted by hamed
    I know lt is unmaged datacenter, but the problem is on the first step of using the server, I just didnt restore my customers comepletly and this error happend.
    also, they didnt told me it's not their duty in the ticket. they told me they are trying to resolve the problem.
    You're missing the fact that the server is UNMANAGED. This is your problem... if they offered to take a look, great, but the bottom line is, THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM.

This is what happens when a DC tries to be the good-guy and help out on a problem which is not there's... they get scumbagged by their customer when things dont work out there way. The only fault of the DC was ever offering to help in the first place.

Probably best to hire a server admin and get your issues resolved.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

I know LT is unmanaged. LT told, they are trying to resolve the problem. But I have no response from them. if it is not their duty, they can kindly response me to take an admin for this issue. the problem is that they dont reply me.

Eh, another post bashing ahost because they fail to realize that it's unmanaged. For FreeBSD, usually it's setup that you ssh to a server with a username/password, then you have to su to root. I think FreeBSD did that as a security measure since if you only ssh to the server and not su to root, you do not have full priviledges. Most of the delay was caused on your behalf, of not providing the proper login.

You should be happy that they even attempted to take a look at this problem. Your server is UNMANAGED, meaning you have to take care of all the software. It's just terrible that you thought it was right to post that they have bad support for not managing your UNMANAGED server for you. If you're loosing customers, it's your fault. If the server is UNMANAGED, don't depend on the support to manage it for you. You should've acted smart and go grab another tech that will do it for you or just contact DirectAdmin directly, so they can address your problem.

Hamed,

So they were providing you free, unmanaged support and now you're complaining?

The representative was going out of their way (Kent) and of course this is your repayment to them.

Normally what occurs in cases like these (or what I've seen) is one representative (in this case Kent) offers to help "outside" of the scope they offer, and then has the weekend or a day off and all of a sudden it hits webhostingtalk.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

You might want to look into a server admin in addition to what was said above.

Check out:

www.acunett.com
    www.serverwizards.com
    www.rack911.com

GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Birthday June 12th, 1988
    I guess age plays a factor too. He's still a minor, and probably expects everything from them for the price he pays. All this, due to ignorance. That's the problem with little kids running a business. If you really are serious about your business, why not take the right action earlier and contact a third-party management service to help correct this issue of yours? Don't point the blame of your leaving customers to LayeredTech.

Does a mod mind adding a few <br's> to the first post?
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Or, change the code tags to quote instead.

GSV

Originally posted by HP-David
    Does a mod mind adding a few <br's> to the first post?
    I put a request in to change the "CODE" VBTags to "QUOTE" tags... this thread is painful to read!

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Now that we're on the second page it's much easier...phew.

GSV

Pretty tacky posting support ticket replies on a public msg board..

just my 2c..

it's now more than 12 days that I bought the server from them
    Unfortuntely, you failed to provide requested information for 10 of those days. That's not LT's fault.

LT told, they are trying to resolve the problem.
    Doesn't matter. The issue you are experiencing is software based so you should go after DA for support, not LT. They just said they would try which they are doing to be nice and also does not offer any guarantee in results.

the problem is that they dont reply me.
    No, the problem is you're not taking responsibility for running your own server. I am sure your ticket is in a low-priority queue because it's for an issue that LT doesn't support. This is still your server though. If there is a problem with DA, it's your server, take the initiative and contact DA. At the end of the day, it's up to you to make sure things are taken care of.

Sorry I know it's stressful to have a server down... in this case you need to go after the folks who can help you with this. LT is not acting fast enough for your needs, and the software you're having issues with is Direct Admin, so go to DA for help.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

ISSUE FIXED

I have logged into your server and duplicated the error, but my error message was different:

│The `pw' command exited with an error status. │
    │Its error message was: │
    │ │
    │pwd_mkdb: corrupted entry │
    │pwd_mkdb: at line #247 │
    │pwd_mkdb: /etc/master.passwd: Inappropriate file type or format │
    │pw: user 'kent***' disappeared during update

After reading the error message, I went to the master.passwd file and commented out line 247. I then tested and was able to add the user. I have put *** at the end of the user name in the error message for security.

Regards,

Kent

I cannot stress enough what these guys said. If you don't know how to manage your server hire a server admin or get a managed server (liquidweb).
    LT Is a great company if you don't need a managed server. The fact that they even were willing to try and help shows what a great provider they are.

Yes, LayeredTech does try to help with basic things when they can which certainly shows how much they give you for the price you pay.

GSV

Thanks Kent for the fixing.
    the server is working properly now.
    also I received your ticket response.
    Just thank you!

wow - these threads usually dont go this way - i am pleasently surprised.
    the end of the world is upon us...absolute power corrupting absolutely...free speech is never free...

...mod friendly signature compliant