Customer Testimonials?

Hi all,

I would like to know what you think about customer testimonials, do you think they make a big impact if they are displayed on the home page or on a sub-page or not at all?

Thanks

Ricky

They can do, providing they have valid website addresses and webmaster names included with them.

Too many sites feature supposed "client" testemonials, but all too ofter they forget to include any real information on the client or website itself.

Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

Yeah,

I have noticed that alot of these template monster sites still have the example client comments...its funny to see that the links on them point to TM

Originally posted by UK PC Net Matty
    They can do, providing they have valid website addresses and webmaster names included with them.
    That's exactly right. When presented properly, I have always found them to be extremely effective.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Re: Customer Testimonials?

Originally posted by sketchy
    Hi all,

I would like to know what you think about customer testimonials, do you think they make a big impact if they are displayed on the home page or on a sub-page or not at all?

Thanks

Ricky

I think the testimonials should be placed at the right upper corner of your home page that will be most suitable place for it.
    Usually human eye are little more comfortable and able to put more concentration on their right side as compare to the left side that's your page left side.

They certainly believe they can help persuade a customer to chose you, however proper credentials must be included. The tesimonials need to be believable and realistic. This is the trick... convincing people that it truly is a customer commenting, and not a company trying to make itself sound better then it is.

As others said, I think they only have value if they include the name and the URL of the person. And then they only are valuable if the site really exists. While I don't put a lot of weight in them, if I am considering doing business with a company, I will check to see if the recommendation site is actually a live site.

Originally posted by Dacsoft
    While I don't put a lot of weight in them, if I am considering doing business with a company, I will check to see if the recommendation site is actually a live site.
    Sure, well, that is the litmus test. Is it a legitimate testimonial? Check it out, verify it.

If it is legit, then it adds credibility to the site.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

A lot of the hosting companies have fake testimonials. There is nothing worse then a lying host!
    Phlint! Web Media [http://phlint.com]
    [email protected]

I love testimonials, for me, they made the difference between which hosts I'd buy with when I was doing shared stuff. ^.^

I'd always hate the fake ones though, so pointless.

Originally posted by vito
    That's exactly right. When presented properly, I have always found them to be extremely effective.
    Agreed.

Look at TV infomercials, as an example of the importance placed on customer testimonials. Granted, IMO most of those testimonials are faked but they understand the importance of powerful customer testimonials, during the sales process.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

They are useful to get just to know what your client like and don't like. I always give names and links to their sites, but i only put name if it's a reseller. I'm proud to say I don't have one fake tesimonal, though i've been offered some .

Also, you should be weary as when you've used a company about 2 days you think they good, when you've used them a bit longer you start to find faults.
    Web Handyman - Website and Internet Marketing Service

Testimonials effectively support your marketing communications. Given that the testimonials are in fact real, they add some credibility to your claims.
    eMegaWeb.com - Everything you need to build your web site

Originally posted by KevlerS
    Testimonials effectively support your marketing communications. Given that the testimonials are in fact real, they add some credibility to your claims.
    A forum is a good platform to hold your testimonials. Your clients can write their testimonial, and they can add to it, as time progresses. There's nothing better than a client who's been with you for 2 years, updating their testimonial 3 or 4 times. That's just pure gold, as far as testimonials are concerned.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Re: Customer Testimonials?

Originally posted by sketchy
    Hi all,

Thanks

Ricky
    We use them on a sub-page of our site. We also reinforce "customer testimonials" with "Case Studies" (something yet to be mentioned)

Testimonials should be quick, unedited little "notes" from customers to you. Get their permission and display those.

Case Studies are more in depth. Again, with the customers permission and input...put together a "Here's how we helped these guys" portfolio. Include full contact information, the reason they came to you, what solutions you recommended and specifically what services they are buying that satisfied their needs. (pm if you want some links that have worked well for us)
    Kenneth R Taylor
    Inet7 Internet Serivces
    Web & Application Hosting Services
    http://www.inet7.com

Great tips guys, the case studies thing is a great idea as is updating yearly.

Another suggestion is to use a random quote script to have random qutoes on your frontpage in bold leading to a sub page with a lot more categorized and so on. I found that was really effective with the right design.
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company

Originally posted by bwb
    Another suggestion is to use a random quote script to have random qutoes on your frontpage in bold leading to a sub page with a lot more categorized and so on. I found that was really effective with the right design.
    I agree, if its done correctly. I've seen "home page disasters" when people either put it in the wrong place, or have too much information. Be careful.
    Kenneth R Taylor
    Inet7 Internet Serivces
    Web & Application Hosting Services
    http://www.inet7.com