Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 911

What happens if you dial 911 on a phone in another country other then the US, is it still considered the emergency line?

It depends on the country really, from what I know those are different than 911.
    Have a question?

Nothing happens in the UK.

The UK emergency number is 999, but we also use the Europen Emergency Number 112.

HTH
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting

000 in Aus, but there was some *vague* talk about redirecting those who call 911 (cos they watch too much US stuff?) to 000. Just heard a discussion on the radio about it and not sure if there is a link online regarding it. But I am off to bed now, and will think on it some more on the morrow!

Originally posted by UK PC Net Matty
    Nothing happens in the UK.

The UK emergency number is 999, but we also use the Europen Emergency Number 112.

HTH
    Apparently 911 is now an emergency number in the UK as well. I did some volunteer lifeguarding 2-3 years ago + part of the training said to call either 999, 911, or 112 in an emergency. I've never had to call any though. I suppose it would make sense to have 911 as well due to the amount of foreign nationals we have in the country, a lot are american + I guess some other countries may have 911 as the number as well (not to mention the amount of US TV). I'd still guess that 99% of people in the UK who need to call the emergency number would use 999.

Just tried 911 on a BT landline, NTL Landline and 3 Mobile and it works on neither

Just tried 911 on a BT landline, NTL Landline and 3 Mobile and it works on neither
    Hmmmm well I don't know then, like I say I never tried calling it, but it was what I was told to do, if for some reason I forgot that 999 was our emergency number, guess its a good job I never tried calling it in an emergency then!
    Last edited by sandanista; 06-29-2005 at 12:09 PM.

Originally posted by sandanista
    Hmmmm welll I don't know then, like I say I never tried calling it, but it was what I was told to do, if for some reason I forgot that 999 was our emergency number.
    It may be something that they will introduce over the next couple of years.

Your point about so many international tourists and immigrants is good though and it would not make much sense not to route 911 calls to our emergency services.

They would not even have to announce it or anything, it would just come in handy when someone from the US happens to dial 911, not knowing or realising that our emergency number is 999/112.

I think countrys use each others codes just incase people don't know them.
    Web Handyman - Website and Internet Marketing Service

Originally posted by affordahost
    I think countrys use each others codes just incase people don't know them.
    That maybe so but i wouldn't want 999 replaced by either 911 or 112 completely.

Besides it wouldn't seem right, Michael Burke presenting a show about real life emergencies and accidents called 911 instead of 999. I used to like that programme.

I didn't know 112 was active here in Britain, i've only come across it when abroad in Spain or Portugal e.t.c. i think.

Critic,
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

911 makes more sense than 999 or 112.
    The numbers are opposite ends of the keypad and it is hard to dial accidentally.
    The cat can dial 999 just by sitting on your phone.
    (please, put down the cat, do not test this at home).

I’ve never tried dialling 911 here in France, so am not sure what would happen. Wouldn’t want to try though as I’d worry what may happen if it works – because in reality it wouldn’t be an emergency, just me messing about.

In regards to 112, this was implemented in Europe as Britain was one of the ONLY countries to have an emergency line (999). In Europe, you dialled a two digit number for police service, another two digit number for fire service, and another two digit number for the ambulance service; therefore 112 was really a necessity here. It’s only active in Britain due to major EU integration.

Personally I think it may be a good idea to have 911 calls auto-redirected to 999, just in case, although I’d never recommend its use being promoted as opposed to 999.

And to think, if I tried calling 911 on my line...I would be charged with public mischeif and sending a false message, and could wind up in jail for 2 years.
    hostVentura
    adam.ferree@gmail.com
    AIM: windsofnihility

Once I tried that but my little cousin told our aunt what I did. Then my aunt asked me, "Why are you dialing 911?" <---That I couldn't answer. It was just me messing around for the fun of it.

Originally posted by virginia
    911 makes more sense than 999 or 112.
    The numbers are opposite ends of the keypad and it is hard to dial accidentally.
    The cat can dial 999 just by sitting on your phone.
    (please, put down the cat, do not test this at home).
    ---------------------------------------------------
    The code 9-1-1 was chosen because it best fit the needs of all parties involved. First, and most important, it meets public requirements because it is brief, easily remembered, and can be dialed quickly. Second, because it is a unique number, never having been authorized as an office code, area code, or service code, it best meets the long range numbering plans and switching configurations of the US telephone industry.
    ---------------- taken from website--------------

No wonder every country has their own emergency number. Otherwise it would have been great to have a universal number, so that when I am a tourist in a foreign land, I woudnt' need to enquire, which would already been too late when accident struck.

Originally posted by hellind2
    ---------------------------------------------------
    The code 9-1-1 was chosen because it best fit the needs of all parties involved. First, and most important, it meets public requirements because it is brief, easily remembered, and can be dialed quickly. Second, because it is a unique number, never having been authorized as an office code, area code, or service code, it best meets the long range numbering plans and switching configurations of the US telephone industry.
    ---------------- taken from website--------------

No wonder every country has their own emergency number. Otherwise it would have been great to have a universal number, so that when I am a tourist in a foreign land, I woudnt' need to enquire, which would already been too late when accident struck.
    Well since the UK was the first country to hve such a number, 999 being introduced in mroe reduced form in 1937, if you'd all have just followed our lead everything would've been ok, and we would ahve a universally recognised number. It's all your fault you see....

Critic,
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

Hmm… I’ve just read on Wikipedia ( link – near the bottom ) that Britain’s emergency telephone number is being quickly supplemented by 112 and 911. Interesting you’ve found it not to work.

In regards to a universal emergency number … it would be pretty impossible, because not only have other countries with all-service numbers chosen other numbers, but also few countries actually have all-service numbers. ( More can be read here )

Originally posted by anon-e-mouse
    000 in Aus, but there was some *vague* talk about redirecting those who call 911 (cos they watch too much US stuff?) to 000. Just heard a discussion on the radio about it and not sure if there is a link online regarding it. But I am off to bed now, and will think on it some more on the morrow!
    There was, but I don't think it ever went anywhere.

It won't work in Sydney anyway, as there are phone numbers that start with 911 (eg: 9112 9999) - unless they implemented a delay (ie: dial 911, after a few seconds the CO sees that you aren't dialing any extra digits and connects you to 000).

112 is an option that I wouldn't mind seeing implemented universally in Australia. It works from mobiles, and it's not a prefix being used on the PSTN.

-Shaun

As has been pointed out is 000 in Australia.

From New Zealand it is 111. 911 does not work in New Zealand (when you ring it, it tells you the emergency number in New Zealand is 111).

In Russia, Ukraine and some other post Soviet Union countries there are separate number for police, fire and medical assistance.

01 - Fire
    02 - Police
    03 - Medical assistance (called "Quick help")
    04 - Gas emergency

I believe all cell phone companies have 112 for emergency.
    How's my programming? Call 1-800-DEV-NULL

In India.

100- police
    101-ambulance

I have never dialed any number though
    CPHosting - Web Hosting Experts Since 1998.
    United States | Europe | Singapore | Australia
    Visit Us! www.cphosting.com

Originally posted by -T{H}R-
    From New Zealand it is 111. 911 does not work in New Zealand (when you ring it, it tells you the emergency number in New Zealand is 111).
    That's a good idea Maybe if all countries did the same, it would be helpful to those who think 911 is the only emergency number in the world

I belive 112 is the international emergency number for mobile phones.
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

Down here in S. Florida, they've added another #, 4-Police. Too many people are calling 911 for non-emergency issues, so now 4-Police will also call the police/EMT, but not make a big scene about it. If you call 911 and it's a non-emergency issue, they'll ask you to call 4-police.

Sadly, I've called 911 quit a few times, I've gotten busy signals and once they didn't pick up. They did call me back like 5 minutes later (it was on my cell phone).

I belive 112 is the international emergency number for mobile phones.
    As far as I’m aware this only works if the country already has an all-service emergency number. I might be wrong though.

Sadly, I've called 911 quit a few times, I've gotten busy signals and once they didn't pick up. They did call me back like 5 minutes later (it was on my cell phone).
    Ah? This seems quite strange.
    Is this a common occurrence when calling 911 in the US?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast