Thread: PHP: preg_match

PHP: preg_match

I have a system where people can upload files. Right now what I am trying to check is that the name file they upload only contains the chars a-z A-Z _ -

I am trying to do this as follows:

PHP Code:
    $path_parts pathinfo($_FILES['userfile']['name']);

$pattern "/([a-zA-Z0-9_-]){1,255}/";

if (
    preg_match ($pattern$path_parts['basename']))
        echo 
    "good";
    else
        echo 
    "bad"
    The problem is that as long as one of the chars I have listed in my expression is in the file name it seems to go through. I do not want to allow spaces in the files names or '%' or any other special chars but they are still being allowed.

Google has helped me this far but I can't seem to find anything to help me on the last bit here. How do I ensure that any file name with a char that is not in my list gets excluded?

/^pattern$/ asserts that the subject matches the pattern from its start to its end.
    #include<cstdio>
    char*s="#include<cstdio>%cchar*s=%c%s%c;%cint main(){std::printf(s,10,34,s,34,10);}";
    int main(){std::printf(s,10,34,s,34,10);}

ctype_alnum() wont work out of the box here, mfonda. One will have to use it on every character in the subject and test for underscores and dashes as well.
    #include<cstdio>
    char*s="#include<cstdio>%cchar*s=%c%s%c;%cint main(){std::printf(s,10,34,s,34,10);}";

Ok, I realized that $path_parts['basename'] gives me the file name WITH extension so that was causing a problem.

I tried modifying my pattern as follows to account for the extension but its not quite working.

$pattern = "/^[a-zA-Z0-9_-]$\.^[a-zA-Z]$/"; (in my sample code above this outputs 'bad')

I would like to put a further restriction on that makes sure the the name is 1, 255 chars and the extension is 3 chars but the following caused an error (Parse error: parse error, unexpected ',' in ...).

$pattern = "/^[a-zA-Z0-9_-]${1,255}\.^[a-zA-Z]${3}/";

$pattern = "/^[0-9A-Za-z\_\-]{1,255}\.[0-9A-Za-z]{3}$/";

though personally restricting file extensions to exactly 3 characters is a little too restrictive.
    #include<cstdio>

Originally posted by laserlight
    $pattern = "/^[0-9A-Za-z\_\-]{1,255}\.[0-9A-Za-z]{3}$/";

though personally restricting file extensions to exactly 3 characters is a little too restrictive.
    Perfect, thank you very much.

I know its very restrictive to force it to be three chars and I might change that, but for now all of the types I am allowing to be uploaded should have a 3 char extension. I will be looking at that part again later.

BTW, you don't need to backwack the _ and - characters, and you can use \w in place of A-Za-z0-9 and _ anyway and I doubt you want a number in the file extension, right?:

$pattern = "/^[-\w]{1,255}\.[A-Za-z]{3}$/";

You can also try matching case insensitively to make things easier if you have much typing in that regard.

$pattern = "/^[-\w]{1,255}\.[a-z]{3}$/i";

Also, you'd probably want to check that no one uploads a file you don't want them to be able to run (i.e., .php, .cgi, etc.). Just some ideas and suggestions to help you along.

you don't need to backwack the _ and - characters
    I think it is good practice though, especially if someone somehow moves the dash from the end to somewhere in the middle while modifying the regex.

and I doubt you want a number in the file extension, right?
    mp3 files?
    #include<cstdio>

I do check the file extension, just not with the regular expression. I do a mime/type check and I check the extension seperatly as I read that not all browsers will give you the proper mime/type and that they are easy to spoof anyways.

MP3 files are not allowed for this so no numbers in the extension.

Originally posted by laserlight
    I think it is good practice though, especially if someone somehow moves the dash from the end to somewhere in the middle while modifying the regex.

mp3 files?
    It's never a good proactive to backwack characters that don't need them, it can cause confusion. The hyphen could indeed pose an issue, if it's placed differently, but the underscore character shouldn't be.