Court says "Police don't have to enforce restraining orders"

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/06/27/sc....ap/index.html

High court nixes restraining-order suits
    Justices protect police from legal action over enforcement

Monday, June 27, 2005; Posted: 4:41 p.m. EDT (20:41 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Supreme Court ruled Monday that police cannot be sued for how they enforce restraining orders, ending a lawsuit by a Colorado woman who claimed police did not do enough to prevent her estranged husband from killing her three young daughters.

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

The police can't be everywhere ...

You should really post the whole article as that snip makes it look completely different than it is. Cops do enforce restraining orders and would be required to. If you broke a restraining order I had against you and I called the police, they would arrest you. The lady sued because she felt the police should be watching her and her famly 24/7.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Originally posted by justadollarhostin
    You should really post the whole article as that snip makes it look completely different than it is. Cops do enforce restraining orders and would be required to. If you broke a restraining order I had against you and I called the police, they would arrest you. The lady sued because she felt the police should be watching her and her famly 24/7.
    Right. They would most definitely come and arrest the violator of the order -- that is, if there was time. I don't understand how police can be expected to get somewhere immediately; last I checked, they rode in cars, not planes or time machines.

Originally posted by SniperDevil
    Right. They would most definitely come and arrest the violator of the order -- that is, if there was time. I don't understand how police can be expected to get somewhere immediately; last I checked, they rode in cars, not planes or time machines.
    no... they teleport, duh

I thought a new one materialized when needed and then went on to roam the streets afterwards.
    TS-Host, A Tulip Company - Hosting since 1995! - AS7219
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Bargain Dedicated Servers and High performance Dedicated!
    http://www.ts-host.com/ -@- dburling@ts-host.com -@- 1-800-977-TOWN

Originally posted by SniperDevil
    That's why we need SpiderMan or BatMan. They do come to the secnes very quickly.
    Last edited by FHDave; 06-29-2005 at 09:29 AM.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server

Could the title of this thread be any more wrong?

I would guess that this is just another one of those sad episodes in which the typical victim would want a scapegoat as the explanation for his/her personal tragedy.
    "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men."

Originally posted by bodypainter
    Could the title of this thread be any more wrong?

Wouldn't expect anymore from "The Dude".

What she could have done to protect herself farther wsa to move away.

Yep, one of the most misleading thread titles ever. I was going to change it, but since it's clear that everyone reading the thread actually got it, I'll leave it so the posts make sense.

What the case was really about and what the Court's decision actually does mean is in this part of the article:
    She contended that her restraining order should be considered property under the 14th Amendment and that it was taken from her without due process when police failed to enforce it.

Justice Antonin Scalia, writing for the majority, said, "The creation of a personal entitlement to something as vague and novel as enforcement of restraining orders cannot 'simply go without saying.' We conclude that Colorado has not created such an entitlement."
    Last edited by JayC; 06-29-2005 at 03:12 PM.

Originally posted by justadollarhostin
    You should really post the whole article
    Well the whole article is quite long and i didnt wanna make peeps sit thru all that when all they had to do was click the link i provided if they were interested

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Actually, you should really not post the whole article, since the copyright to it belongs to CNN.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

But on the same token should you even then link directly to the article?

I would think that linking is different from reproducing the article. The former is driving traffic to their site while the latter would constitute copyright infringement, although some sites do require permission to be sought even for URL linking.
    "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men."