Shipping 1U server - Fedex or UPS??

I'm going to be shipping a 1U server, any ideas on which company is cheaper, Fedex or UPS??

UPS is usually cheaper, Fedex is usually more reliable/better service.

Originally posted by nebbie04
    UPS is usually cheaper, Fedex is usually more reliable/better service.
    I can only comment on our experience with FedEx and UPS, but we seem to always have problems with FedEx. I've also noticed FedEx's tracking system is not frequently updated. I'm not sure how they do tracking internally, but it seems they need to take a lesson from UPS on that one.

*EDITED* I didn't mean to bring this off topic. I would recommend UPS regardless of price if you have the option, but that suggestion is only based on our experience.

Thanks for your opinions, I'll be shipping via UPS!

Yes, UPS is a better choice

I have to differ here in opinions. I've been at multiple DC's, office buildings, and general deliveries to my home. At office buildings and DC's, I've witnessed horrible treatment of packages though UPS. I've literally seen packages thrown out of the back of the big brown truck *everyday* onto the ground and had a PC years ago that was shipped via UPS thrown around so hard, the screws ripped through the drive cage (metal was ripped all the way through, so no, wasn't just a loose screw.

Given shipments over the years through logistics companies I managed, I can tell you UPS boxes had a much higher damage rate vs. Fedex.

I have always recommended to clients to ship anyone but UPS, based on the damage I've seen through the years.

Cost should not be a factor when shipping a server ever.....

Just my .02

Have had horrible experiences with UPS. FedEx is "okay", but nothing to get excited about. We've always been extremely happy with Airborne Express.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

UPS is generally the most expensive. FedEx and Airborne are faster services. UPS is usually the safest method.
    PacketAce
    Because packets were meant to be delivered.
    Premium Mzima Bandwith at Equinix - Secaucus, NJ

In my experience, Fedex has always been more reliable and more careful with the packages.

My vote is Fedex, I've had bad experience with UPS damaging equipment. Fedex also seems to be a bit faster if memory serves me correctly.
    Steven Eppler
    Eppler Software Hosting
    Fast, Reliable, Affordable

UPS is cheaper, however, I have had packages arrive that look like the UPS guy took a bat to it . There is just no explanation. The better question is how well is that server going to be packaged. Perhaps get insurance with that.
    GenerousWebHosting.com Home of Generous George the Red Monster.
    24/7 Live Chat Support - 99.9% Uptime - 30 Day Money Back Policy

Originally posted by AH-Tina
    Have had horrible experiences with UPS. FedEx is "okay", but nothing to get excited about. We've always been extremely happy with Airborne Express.

--Tina
    You mean DHL :-D

I shipped out my nextel phone yesterday back to Memphis, TN for service repair. I called Motorola at 2PM, they scheduled the pickup between 230 and 5. The Driver came to my door at 345 (within the time limit mind you), got me a reciept and was on its way. I tracked the package all the way there and it was updated frequently. Got there this morning at 843 and shipped back at about 2 PM. Expected to see it tomarrow :-D. So, FedEx is very good for criticial packages IMHO.

I don't like how UPS times its packages since they take forever. I also like DHL, their trucks are purdy + very fast service.
    Last edited by maxhest; 06-29-2005 at 07:55 PM.
    Max
    Web Hosting Talk Community Guide

go to both websites and put in the shipping details and the weight and clas of shipping and it will tell you right on line who is better. Both will be pretty expensive to ship a server but a lot will depends how quick you need it and also insurance and weight

Fedex has been good to me. A rogue package here and there but in the end it shows up within the estimated delivery time.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

We've used both UPS and FedEx quite a bit and they both have their share of ups and downs. Overall, I would go with UPS simply because we've had a couple boxes come in from FedEx being in bad shape, and their tracking isn't as good in my opinion.

I've been shipping and receiving computers since 1982.

I have always used Federal Express / Fedex when shipping ANY electronic equipment.

In my opinion it's well worth any extra cost to ship equipment via Fedex.

I'd have to agree with everything sagomatt said about UPS.

If someone ships me a computer via UPS, 90% of the time I'm going to find a loose card,
    loose screw laying on the motherboard, fan / heatsink popped off CPU, HD cages ripped from the case,
    or worse...

But, I do let the BROWN TRUCK deliver my cigars :-)

As you can see from the wide variety of experiences here, all shipping companies have problems from time to time. However, I've always found that FedEx ships packages more quickly and more reliably, and they always show up in good condition.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

We prefer DHL their ground shipments are faster than both UPS and Fedex from most places in the US. We don't go brown as the color reminds me of their service. (Crappy) I have lost approx 12K in shipments through ups it's been refunded but I lost 2 clients so bye bye brown. Fedex is good on Overnight/2nd day items if you are willing to pay a little more than dhl.

Yeah, UPS has delivered packages to me that look like they've been beat against a brick wall. FedEx stuff always arrives in good condition...as does DHL (Airborne Express). I like DHL because they are a bit cheaper and every bit as good as FedEx.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

I'd have to vote for Fedex also. I dont know why anyone would prefer the UPS tracking system, as its results are often vague (lack of departure location at times, lack of estimated time of deliery, etc.); only complaint I have about that with Fedex is my packages from California (where we order the majority of our parts, go www.ewiz.com !) often ship on a Monday (hey, im a weekend order guy, so shoot me!), and Fedex claims they'll arrive Friday, yet they come in Thursday. To some people that might be a good thing, personally I simply prefer to know for sure as I schedule trips to our dropbox around it, and a day earlier, is well, a day earlier.

UPS boxes tend to arrive with more dirt on them. I dont know how/why (after all, they process a LOT of boxes, its not like they can have *that* much dirt in their facility!). Notably I also buy a good chunk of equipment from Ebay, so a lot of time when UPS/Fedx stuff comes in, its coming from the small time guys, who have personal shipping accounts, etc.

Fedex is often cheaper, their tracking system is more accurate, and the frequency of delays and damage claims is lower with them. Admittedly sometime back I had a package go stray with Fedex, because the trailer it was on had "disappered", but I believe the truck it was on broke down fully loaded, which added a couple of days to the delivery time. I wrote that off as a one tiem occurance, and after several hundred packages later, thats all it ever was.

Anything we ship is done via UPS. I havn't received any packages from UPS that have dirt or look as if the box has been in transit for a month. I do beleive that it may just depend on what city you reside in, as depending on how busy the shipment center is in your area, I suppose it can get dirty from other shipments depending what the contents are.
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

i havent had much experience using any delivery companies. Although I know many businesses prefer FedEx over UPS when it comes to transporting electronical devices. Regardless, UPS and FedEx both have had downfalls. Its up to you to decide which company you want to take a chance with.