A T1 just ain't what it used to be...

Every time I open a new technology news website, I find myself reading more and more about ISPs coming out with 10Mbps, 15, 30, and now 50-100Mbps speeds....Our sites are hosted on a burstable 1.5meg connection in co-lo. We used to host out of our office because we had all the hardware necessary there, but even 1 year ago, a single T1 couldn't keep up. Our next move would have been a multiple T's or a DS3, but obviously very cost prohibitive. So now we are in a rack in a co-lo wondering when bandwidth pricing is going to start coming inline with what consumers are paying to access our sites.
    Give a script kiddie and some of his friends a 15, 30 or 50 meg connection and sites will be falling off the map from DDOS attacks at record paces. Or for those who pay transfer by the gigabyte might find the only thing moving at lightning speeds is money out of their wallets....

Either ISPs have to show a little restraint in who they roll these connections out, or hosting facility pricing has to come WAY down....

/rant.

Chip-

one question...where are u at in the usa?

I have verizon fios 15 Mbit down 2 Mbit up 45 a month. Yet when you look at co-location your looking at 140.00 per Mbit I belive or something close to that depending on the bandwidth type.
    Edrick Smith
    Film Production

Originally posted by BluTechnolog
    I have verizon fios 15 Mbit down 2 Mbit up 45 a month. Yet when you look at co-location your looking at 140.00 per Mbit I belive or something close to that depending on the bandwidth type.
    you have to keep in mind that Verizon's bw for home/office is not guranted. beside, do you think Verizon going to break their business unit provding bw for datacenter by giving out better service to home.

DC will just order Verizon's DSL instead of their business line.

Very well said carguy, just imagine if a worm infects 200 000 windows PCs each running on a 15 Mbits line, this is the scary thing. To quote Spiderman "With great power, comes great responsibility".
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed and Self-Managed hosting solutions
    Toll free: 1.888.915.4400 / Local: 1.514.316.1885 / Live chat
    Cloud VPS Hosting

It wasn't spiderman, it was Uncle Ben
    ServGrid - www.servgrid.com - Affordable and Reliable SSD Cloud Solutions
    Premium 10G Network, 2(N+1) Powerplant and SSD Performance
    Web, Reseller, KVM VPS, Storage and Private Cloud Hosting
    Click here to see our SSD Benchmarks!

In terms of Fios, I'd assume their business solutions is the equivalent of say premium bw and Fios is like cogent or something trashy
    ServGrid - www.servgrid.com - Affordable and Reliable SSD Cloud Solutions
    Premium 10G Network, 2(N+1) Powerplant and SSD Performance
    Web, Reseller, KVM VPS, Storage and Private Cloud Hosting
    Click here to see our SSD Benchmarks!

FIOS is asymetric, the hacker only has 2Meg Upstream is more important when talking about DDOS, not 15 Down.

FIOS is comming to my area by the end of the summer, I'm wonder how people like the service?? How is the upstream?? I'm wondering with the 2Meg if this is going to put any slowdown on the low end gameserver market.

moosh, I'm in Mass. Ya, I'm a masshole.

DoubleD, I guess I was looking more from the side of pulling too much from the server, and not pushing too much at it. A couple home PCs at a few FIOS customer houses requesting search results or images and you could take down any small to medium size site.

I guess per user bandwidth throttleing is going to become a hot item in the near future. I know one of the linux web servers supports this, so I imagine there must be a networking device out there as well.

J-P, perfect quote.

Chip-