Switching to new domain...

I'm going to be switching to a new domain and once again, I'm worried about my search engine spots but this time, I have a question.

When I switch my domain to another one, how can I ensure that my new domain gets listed in the same search spots my old domain did for popular search terms related to my site? Is there a special way I should re-direct the old domain to the new one? What all necessary steps should I take in doing this?

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

You could just keep your old domain as well and simply advertise your new one, so point both to your website

In my opinion, the best solution is to redirect the old domain using 301 redirect - moved permanently:

header("HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently");
    header("Connection: close");

...during 3 - 7 after redirecting the domain you probably loose your position in google but then you will get back.

Redirecting the old domain using 301 redirect moved- permanently: is a good idea, doing so you’ll be able to redirect all traffic from the old domain to the new domain.

But I'll suggest you to publish the changeovers to an online press release informing the online community of this changeover; usually people forget to do that.