Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Invision Power Board v1.3

I've tryed contacting Invision about this many times, but I can never get a straight answer out of them. I prefer IPB v1.3 over 2.0.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was't the old version of IPB free?

Is it still possible to get a copy of this, but not violate Invision's ToS?

Arnon,

Yes, I believe it's still freely distributed on the net (legally).
    Personally I wouldn't recommend using it though as it has not had many updates!

IPB v.1.3 is FREE and you can still use it legally for FREE. I have asked IBP Sales Department directly, just few days ago.

I am still considering a few boards (SMF or MyTopix or IPB v1.3 or Burning Board Lite), so I did not install IPB v1.3 yet.

I've tried searching Google, but it's not coming up with anything.

If possible, could somebody post or PM with a link?

Wasn`t 1.3 available through Fantastico? I mean the version before final.

http://www.medialayer.com/IPB_1.3.zip

It's perfectly legal as I downloaded that when it was actually FREE.

Thanks,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Originally posted by elix
    http://www.medialayer.com/IPB_1.3.zip

It's perfectly legal as I downloaded that when it was actually FREE.
    Actually it's legal to continue to use, but the license states that you cannot redistribute it.

I had several Invision Boards versions 1.3 and older but I converted all of them to SMF and am very pleased with them. Extremely easy to keep updated and all the features I need and then some.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

Isn't Invision 1.3 still available in Fantastico (if you have it)?
    PacketAce
    Because packets were meant to be delivered.
    Premium Mzima Bandwith at Equinix - Secaucus, NJ

Originally posted by BaselineAce
    Isn't Invision 1.3 still available in Fantastico (if you have it)?
    Not unless it's an older version. IPB was removed quite awhile ago. Most now have SMF & PHPBB only.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

If you check http://netenberg.com/fantastico_scripts.php you will find that IPB v1.3 has been disabled, so it seems that IPB isn't available in Fantastico anymore.

Cool

Give SMF a spin. It's easy and my customers that are using are total converts. I used to have a couple of the old IPB's running but when it went to paid they switched to SMF and never looked back.
    If you did want IPB in particular I'd suggest paying up for the new version, as already said there have been many upgrades & patches since they switched from the old free one (from what I understand, no personal experience).
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

I personally use IPB 2.0.x, and I honestly feel that it's the best thing available. But as far as free boards go, SMF is really superb.
    PacketAce
    Because packets were meant to be delivered.
    Premium Mzima Bandwith at Equinix - Secaucus, NJ

Give SMF a spin. It's easy and my customers that are using are total converts. I used to have a couple of the old IPB's running but when it went to paid they switched to SMF and never looked back.
    I'd have to agree. SMF rocks for forum software. Invision was good in it's day.......no REAL compettion in the "free board" world at the time, except for phpBB, which isn't for me personally.

SMF has a strong community, excellant support, and is the easiest i have found for administration, and themeing.

Ok starting to sound like a commercial.........sorry

Originally posted by Scotty_B
    Actually it's legal to continue to use, but the license states that you cannot redistribute it.
    In that case. File removed.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

As a customer, 1.3 isn't shown in my personal download manager.

I am still considering a few boards (SMF or MyTopix or IPB v1.3 or Burning Board Lite), so I did not install IPB v1.3 yet.
    Just to let ya know, I setup mytopix a week ago, and it was extremely buggy. Had to deal with problems like account validation emails not being sent out, and special characters not being properly parsed when setting my account password.

I personally use IPB 2.0.x, and I honestly feel that it's the best thing available.
    Yep.

If you want the best Free Message board system, I would suggest PhpBB.

are you kidding me? I hate both smf and phpbb, but SMF is way way way way way way way way way way way way way way vvvvvvvvvvv better than phpbb.

whats wrong with smf? If you wish to improve it go contribute to their suggestions forum so its something you could like.
    Kerry Jones

If thats waht ur talking about? http://www.jaia-interactive.com/
    It looks ok, never tryed it, phpbb, and smf is the best free ones, but i prefer ipb and vbulletin, better stable versions But thats my opinion.

If thats waht ur talking about? http://www.jaia-interactive.com/
    that's mytopix.

whats wrong with smf? If you wish to improve it go contribute to their suggestions forum so its something you could like.
    smf is terrifyingly ugly.

Originally posted by mikeylove
    smf is terrifyingly ugly.
    Which is just an opinion, course it's easy to skin if you don't like the default look.

I guess it's just the fact PhpBB's been out longer and always beeng great, after looking over SMF just today, I think im gonna get it a test run for my next forum.

SMF's default templates are ugly and for some reason if the default template isn't good, people tend to run away from the software.

I personally like phpBB better than SMF because even though you may edit the skins, it will take forever to change everything. I don't like how links are organized in SMF. But SMF has done a really good job with the features and clean coding .. I hope they think about re-organizing it for the future.
    Get help with your server optimization - A forum on server optimization...
    ExoPHPDesk - Powerful PHP HelpDesk

I will say though after seeing a few board and reading info on the site about it (know more when I actually try it out), that I am gonna like/will like it better than Invision Power Board, I just never been a fan of IPB, really.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast