anybody actually restored with ThePlanet DiskSync?

Hello,

We are using DiskSync service for backup on a few servers at ThePlanet. DiskSync seems great - it is very easy to setup and reliably does a daily incremental backup without consuming much of the system resources.

However, I have had some bad experiences with other types of backups before (e.g. unable to restore after faithfully doing daily backups).

My question is: has anybody actually done a restore using DiskSync? If so, how did it go?

We would feel better if we heard from anybody who has actually used this successfully and would appreciate any warnings. I really don't want to have a false sense of security.

(FYI: we also do a weekly backup of critical data at another location, but DiskSync is the only full backup and the only daily backup for the servers we have at TP).

Thanks in advance!

Al

Yes, we have done a restore with DiskSync and it worked well. We dropped the DiskSync service as we didn't think it was worth the money.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

If something "works well" it's hard to say it's not worth the money

So what do you use now? The beauty of DiskSync is that it backs up the system state aswell. I believe Eddy did a full Windows restore - OS and everything!

At $2.00/gb for DiskSync, it was too expensive when you are looking at 100+gb of data. I am using GNAX and am very happy with their service and their prices. ($0.50/gb)

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

www.bqbackup.com can go as low as $0.25/Gig.

Thanks,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Can't argue with GNAX's prices - it may not be automated and as complete as DiskSync, but it does the job.

Originally posted by elix
    www.bqbackup.com can go as low as $0.25/Gig.

Thanks,
    does it work with windows2003?

They actually support RSync which is quite nice =).

Thanks,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

100GB for $20.00.. not a bad deal. We are still happy with GNAX though, so if there isn't a problem.. don't wanna fix it ..eventhough we are paying $40.00 per month for 80GB
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / We Filter out the Bad Leads and Send you the Good ones!
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / Automated Lead Funnel Service

Originally posted by RazorBlue - Dan
    It's not the same as DiskSync but it's FTP/SCP AFAIK, so it will work yes
    is there a howto on Rsync for windows? i email bq but all they tell me is it support windows and ask if i like to sign up. i'll like to sign up but i want to know if there is a howto on how to use Rsync with windows. i want to get to know everything about Rsync with windows before i sign up for any service.

do you know any tutorial or howto on the net about Rsync and Windows?

Actually, BQBackup tells you how to set it up to do Rsync when you purchase, IIRC.

Thanks,

Since I've been using RSYNC with window's since NT 4.0 and living though all of the problem's over the year's, I have to say I finally have it working, and it work's great.

Try here:

http://www.itefix.no/phpws/index.php...position=23:23

John

Originally posted by jjungling
    Since I've been using RSYNC with window's since NT 4.0 and living though all of the problem's over the year's, I have to say I finally have it working, and it work's great.

Try here:

http://www.itefix.no/phpws/index.php...position=23:23

John
    how can it be secure when transfer files from one DC to another DC? does it use SSL or something?

Originally posted by jt2377
    how can it be secure when transfer files from one DC to another DC? does it use SSL or something?
    Yes, it can be secure. Usually the files are sent via an ssh connection, although some services use SSL.

To be on the safe side, you can always encrypt your backup files before sending them to the remote location. We do this to add an extra layer of security in case the remote location is somehow compromised.
    There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

You can also try http://raidarray.net/plans.php. They have 25 GB of space for $10 and support mounting drives from Windows.

I'm with GNAX now but I might also give these guys a try.
    Steven Martins

is there a howto on Rsync for windows? i email bq but all they tell me is it support windows and ask if i like to sign up.
    Hello,

I believe I gave you a link to NASBackup, which is GUI-based and uses Rsync. There is no tutorial required, because it's all point-and-click :-)
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

The latest versions of Rsync support using SSH as a transport. This is the recommended configuration to use when you want to securely back up your data over the internet.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***