Where are all the low-end servers?

I was looking for a REALLY cheap server to used as a backup server. I don't mind the spec at all, something like Pen 2 with 20G HDD is good enough. The cheapest I've found is ServerPronto's $29.95 servers (with $70 setup fee). It's a good deal, but I wish they could halve the spec and bandwidth and halve the price
    There used to be alot of them back when Nocster had them, but now they are all gone. I am just curious where are those PII, PIII servers are now (physically). I hope they haven't been dumped because I think there's still a martket for them.

Keep in mind that, regardless of server specs and bandwidth, there are still fixed costs associated with supplying a server (AC, power, staffing, etc.) so there is definitely a bottom-line price.
    Dan - Vice President - [email protected]
    BurstNET Technologies - http://www.burst.net

Originally posted by burstdan
    Keep in mind that, regardless of server specs and bandwidth, there are still fixed costs associated with supplying a server (AC, power, staffing, etc.) so there is definitely a bottom-line price.
    Agreed,

However the benefit with most of the "older" hardware is that the equipment is already paid for or extremely cheap in some cases. That helps bring the bottom-line down a bit
    Last edited by TulipSystems1; 06-28-2005 at 10:48 AM.

You might want to check out Tulip Systems, Ryan and his staff have some very attractive, low priced servers at there new facility.

They seem to be in the ballpark of what your looking for.
    Jason Brozena
    Total Server Solutions
    - Servers - Cloud - ECommerce Hosting
    COLO@ Colocation. Perfected. Atlanta - Dallas - Phoenix
    Weehawken - Los Angeles - Chicago - Seattle - Toronto - London - Amsterdam

Kamejoko,

Contact providers directly and they most likely have a bunch of them sitting around doing absolutely nothing.

Hardware doesn't dissappear - but there are only so many services you can advertise on each single page of a site!
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

I took a look at ServerPronto's website. The $29.95 server comes with 200 GB/mo Bandwidth but they only offer you 1 reboot per month. Their website says "Additional reboots: $29/ea. " That could get costly really quick.

I would second Tulip Systems, we have a monitoring server running over there, and its been running quite well. We have received fast reponses for the little support we have requested.
    crucialparadigm - Affordable, Reliable, Professional :
    Web Hosting
    24/7 Support Web Hosting Reseller Hosting Cloud/VPS Plans Dedicated Servers