* /var partition almost full, help

My /var partition is 9.7G total space. When I had my server almost 5 months ago, only 500mb was used. Now, it's 90% full; almost 9Gb. How do I clean it up, which files are safe to delete? I had no idea it'll use this much space. Any help will be appreciated.

Try to delete some logs in /var/log
    maybe they grow up

cochin -kerala -india
    Just check which directory in your /var is taking up the space..using the command [/var]# du -h
    Also check du -hs spool/ , du -hs lost+found/, ... if you are using WHM/cpanel servers , you can try to delete the mail queue from your WHM, manage mail option, this is only if you are having a lot of undelivered mails. And if lost+found is taking up a lot of space in /var you can clear it using perl script.
    Check out which directory is taking up the space.

Shibu C Varughese Support for Webhosts

Depending on what flavor of Linux/Unix you are using, you can also clean up /var/tmp if it is too big. You may have to be carefull though, some applications require a proper procedure. At boot time should be safe.

Use 'du -k --max-depth=1', to see how large the directories actually are. If you replace '1' with '2' you get to see the subdirectories too, with '3' the subsubdirectories...

My logs are fairly small, not even 1 gb. The biggest folder inside /var was the /lib/mysql folder which took 6.8GB I saw a handful of files over 1GB in size, their extensions are .001 - .020 not all of them are big.

I really think something is wrong, some of them must not be needed since the modified date is a few months ago. How do web hosting ocmpanies deal with var partitions becoming full? There's gotta be something abnormal going on my server, each day. the percentage used for /var goes up 1%, it just started to happen a month ago, before it didn't use up at this pace.

6. /var/lib/mysql has a list of directories in there.

# du -s /var/lib/mysql/* | sort -rn | head
    The command above should give you the top 10 directories consuming the most space in /var/lib/mysql.

More than likely these are databases.

Once you have them, you can use

# du -skh /var/lib/mysql/database_name/
    to get human friendly numbers.The directory name should equal the database name and you should be able to track that back to a user.

Philip Reynolds
    Value for money dedicated servers
    at Rack365 -