need game server help please :)

I have planned out a very decent buisness plan to start a game server company, but one factor is missing. How do i decide what hardware is the best to get the most performance/profit. I was considering these configurations:

Dual Xeon 2.8ghz 800fsb
    4 GB DDR Ram
    74gb scsi 15k rpm drive

or

Dual Opteron 244
    4GB DDR Ram
    74gb scsi 15k rpm drive

The opteron is about 40 bucks more than the xeon. How many slots could I fit on these boxes?

Ditch the extra 2gb's of Ram and SCSI drives and you will be golden

Personally I like the Xeons better. We initially bought several Opterons when they first came out but have since went back to the old trusty Xeons. That of course is my personal opinion.. Results do vary..

Is it just me or is everyone wanting to start a game server company nowadays? I think you've been on these forums long enough to realize that nobody gets a real answer from that question. It all comes down to testing. If you've really put that much effort into planning, then getting down and testing it yourself shouldn't be too much of a hassle. All hardware/software (including OS) configurations are different for everyone so there is no answer. You also didn't state what game so if someone replies with their esimate, then you can just cross them off the list as there is no universal calculation.

Setup public test servers on them, fill them up, then decide. Remember, not ALL your machines will hold the exact same number of slots, it all varies on the games, OS/software/hardware configurations, etc.

X-Gaming, why should i ditch the extra 2gb of ram, wont that decrease performance? Also the scsi drives are gonna stay most likely

CyanoX, sorry for the lack of information, the os is going to be redhat enterprise 3 and centos 4. I am trying to find out calculations for HL/HL2 based games.

More ram doesn't increase performance.. But as CyanoX said you really need to test and find out for yourself, There is no magic number.

Then how come some of the best gsp's use 4 gb's of ram?

Originally posted by v3|dark
    Don't believe everything you read.

Quote Originally Posted by v3|dark
    I also see that extra 2GB of RAM unnecessary. If you put in 4GB of RAM, that only fuels you to want to cram more game servers on the machine thinking that the extra 2GB is a miracle worker but chances are, you'll probably run out of cpu power before ever needing the extra RAM. 2GB of RAM on a Dual Processing server will be suffice...unless that is a dual processor-dual core processor server, but I have no firsthand knowledge on how they perform, so I cannot comment on that.

Ah, also forgot to mention. Like I stated in other posts, it's never good to base the core of your business off of others, that may just lead into a disaster. Just do us all a favor and test it out yourself, you won't be disappointed. That way, if someone posts this wonderful magical number, and your servers cannot reach that capacity, you won't get upset.
    Last edited by CyanoX; 06-27-2005 at 11:01 PM.

Thats pretty much the point.

For instance a Dual Xeon 3.2 with 4GB's of ram and 10 game servers stacked on it will run no different then a XP2400 running 1 game server.. There is zero difference. The defining quality between the two is the amount of load you are putting on it.

CyanoX has a good point. The CPU will hit max load long before half of the 4GB's of ram are consumed.. This is why it is a waste of your money.. The trick is learning how to scale for each configuration which involves testing each set up and finding the point it starts to purrrrrr

RAM does not compensate for CPU power. Why do the big boys put 4 GB RAM in? Does it help it run smoother .. sometimes. Does it help on the sales end? Ohhh yeah it does.

If I told you that you had the choice between a P4 3.0 with 4 GB RAM and a Dual Xeon with 1 GB RAM, which would you choose (to buy a game server, not the box). You couldn't choose without playing on them, because there may be 15 servers on the Xeon but 2 on the P4. It's all about balance.
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management Search Engine Optimization Pay Per Click Email Marketing

Why do the big boys put 4 GB RAM in?
    As you say it helps sell servers because the audience has no clue.. They only see big numbers and assume it means something.. In real life nobody uses that much ram for game hosting unless they have an affinity for spending money for no good reason..

Originally posted by X-Gaming
    As you say it helps sell servers because the audience has no clue.. They only see big numbers and assume it means something.. In real life nobody uses that much ram for game hosting unless they have an affinity for spending money for no good reason..
    It's the same reason that some people don't go with a host because they have P4 3.0 servers. They see Dual Xeon and are all over it, because they don't realize how many servers / clients / sites go on each server. More power means a better chance of putting more on, at least that's how I see it.
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management Search Engine Optimization Pay Per Click Email Marketing

very good points thank you all for your input

I assume you all have heard of felt the impact of the new BF2 and the insane amount of resources it takes up. Would more ram benefit that?

Naw, Resource wise it runs pretty well as far as I see but it does chew through a fair amount of bandwidth..

X-Gaming, just saw on your site, you hit the 2 year mark a few days ago. Congrats on the amount of commitment you put towards the business. We actually hit the 1 year mark a few months ago

Originally posted by CyanoX
    X-Gaming, just saw on your site, you hit the 2 year mark a few days ago. Congrats on the amount of commitment you put towards the business. We actually hit the 1 year mark a few months ago
    Thank man! That date also marks the last day I had a good nights sleep

Congrats to you too!

Even on our quad opterons we don't consume 4GB. So on a dual xeon config, it's heavy overkill.

Um you'll be fine with 1 GB of ram - unless you plan to overload a box ...
    ServGrid - www.servgrid.com - Affordable and Reliable SSD Cloud Solutions
    Premium 10G Network, 2(N+1) Powerplant and SSD Performance
    Web, Reseller, KVM VPS, Storage and Private Cloud Hosting
    Click here to see our SSD Benchmarks!

We have found dual Xeons with 2GB RAM to be quite satisfactory.

Dual Xeons with 1-1.5 gb is more than enough - usually 1 is fine

do you know how many cs 1.6 slots a dual xeon 2.8 (800fsb) with 2 gb of ram could take before its considered overloaded?

Test and see. Many variables here...do us all a favor and stop asking those kinds of questions, get off your lazy butt and test the darn machine on your own. Maybe this will be more appropriate:

WARNING: RESULTS WILL VARY!

All these kids want to take the "risk" out of business risk. They want to guarantee profit.

Do us all a favor, quit asking. If we found out how to guarantee profit, we wouldn't tell you

and Dark we have servers like that with 1-2 gb ram and we host 5-6 private servers before we stop - so i'd say 60-80 slots