Thumbs down HostGator Review

Hello would like to share with you how HostGator went. I signed up last week and every since than has been a nightmare. After 3 days no problem all my sites were suspended cause of one site being too resource intensive. They never cared to proof to me it was they just said so. I think its cause I was using alot of bandwidth and they got worried or something. So I dont mind them disabling the site that had a problem. The problem comes in I had 5 different sites running on the same account. Mistake! Once they suspended one site all my sites were down. I told them why didnt you just chnage the permmissions so the first site wouldnt run. Well never got a good response on that. The so called live support is just someone to say email support. Im always like why cant you help me. No good response their either. So just to let you know be aware of hostgator. Sure some like them but my expericience was horrible. Just word of advice if your sites make you money get a good host. I lost more money cause of it being offline. Thanks

What kind of site(s) were you hosting with HostGator? I am seeing a ton of people get kicked out for "using too many resources" here at WHT lately.

Thanks,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

I was hosting a image hosting site. Also a few static page websites.

Im trying to get setup with NAC/15minuteservers but having trouble with the server. Just got it yesterday and there is an rndc error with the bind trying to add an a entry. Im having bad luck right now. Cause of this all sites have been down for days. Return visitors I doubt it will have to promote again.

You shouldn't be hosting an image hosting site on a shared account in the first place.

Thanks,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Well before you say that you dont know how big the site was in the first place either. Used to be pretty large than host shut me down from last ddos. So went from dedicated to shared because it reopened a month later. Just got a dedicated cause it started to grow again than host gator canned me so just using staright dedicated. They wouldnt show me any proof of the site doing anything intensive.

My above most was stereotyping therefore, I apologize. However, due to the nature of the image hosting sites themselves, it's not bright to use shared hosting. You should probably be using a VPS as they are quite cheap and do a great job for hosting intensive sites.

Thanks,

8.80 10.45 1.2
    Top Process %CPU 93.4 httpd [yourtutorials.imguploads.com]
    Top Process %CPU 93.1 httpd [yourtutorials.imguploads.com]
    Top Process %CPU 92.8 httpd [yourtutorials.imguploads.com]

The above usage is taken straight from from whm which is not always accurate, but with usage like this there's no doubt the site was a major problem.

Our faq is pretty clear what we allow and don't allow as far as usage. I'm sorry for your bad experience but if your making a ton of money and your site is obviously using the cpu and ram a shared environment is not the way to go. That is why we recommended a more dedicated hosting solution and even setup a dedicated server for you as requested. We gave you a complete refund, did not charge you for the dedicated we setup, and offered as much assistance as we could.

Best of luck with your new host.

Many hosts have limitation on what a site can pull as far as resources. In our environment a site can use 100% of servers cpu and ram, but if they cause downtime we have no choice but to respond.

I agree with what HG said. Probably you should move to dedicated server if your site is big enough

If yourtutorials.com was suspended why did you suspend imguploads. Thats the one you guys stated. Money back yes but I was in the 30 days so not like you guys did something special. Dedicated server you setup well you mistaked an email I was talking about when I was asking about semi dedicated or aka vps. I dont see how I was using 93% of cpu with a simple script. Thanks

Reason why I said why did you suspended imguploads.com for yourtutorials.com when the main domain is imguploads.com and thats the excuse you guys gave me.

Originally posted by SearchNetNow
    If yourtutorials.com was suspended why did you suspend imguploads. Thats the one you guys stated. Money back yes but I was in the 30 days so not like you guys did something special. Dedicated server you setup well you mistaked an email I was talking about when I was asking about semi dedicated or aka vps. I dont see how I was using 93% of cpu with a simple script. Thanks
    Probably because they were parked/addon domain. It is very easy for a experienced PHP programmer to take take 1 site with a 20 line PHP script. In fact I've done it with 0 actual visitors. I setup a cron job on our test server and it just killed the load. Mind you, the test server had NO other clients on it.

Should have never hosted a image hosting site on a shared account to begin with.

8.80 10.45 1.2
    Top Process %CPU 93.4 httpd [yourtutorials.imguploads.com]
    Top Process %CPU 93.1 httpd [yourtutorials.imguploads.com]
    Top Process %CPU 92.8 httpd [yourtutorials.imguploads.com]

I would suggest upgrading to a VPS solution or a dedicated server. Look at those stats

Running a huge site on a shared account is beloney. Obviously the CPU load was huge. If the site is as big as you say it is you can afford to go dedicated. Hell, I used to start running some of my sites on dedicated servers from the get go. Cost is not an option if you're think performance!

HG stated they gave you a full refund and offered assistance as much as they could - better service is hard to find. I still give HG my two thumbs up
    * Losers make excuses - winners make it happen *
    The only way to discover the limits of the possibilities is to go beyond them into the impossible.

whats funny is running the site on a dedicated box and can check my own stats. Most it has peaked up to is 21% with an average load of .14

Originally posted by DreamLevel
    Running a huge site on a shared account is beloney. Obviously the CPU load was huge. If the site is as big as you say it is you can afford to go dedicated. Hell, I used to start running some of my sites on dedicated servers from the get go. Cost is not an option if you're think performance!

HG stated they gave you a full refund and offered assistance as much as they could - better service is hard to find. I still give HG my two thumbs up
    Gave me refund yes i thank them, full hands on helping me? Not really, the day they decided to can me was the day I was moving. Instead of putting the site on a stronger server automaticaly dunno why they didnt. also suspended other sites when the main domain was not yourtutorials.com uncalled for, they could have just suspended the offending url, HG live support is bad, all they do is say email them, setting up dedicated like i said they misread my email i was inquirying about semi dedicated, not my fault they cant read,

also i was entitled to full refund 3 days of hosting before suspension, hmm tell me do they keep the other 27 days if they didnt refund me, if the just suspended one site instead of all my sites i wouldnt be that mad, but the suspended them all and you cant say well the main domain, if you notcie main domain wasnt problem it was a addon to the main domain which could have been easily shutoff or removed.