Charging for website

How much does everyone charge for building websites.

I just got another call (5 total in the past 2 months) to build a website. I have turned the past 4 down due to me not having any time what so ever due to school.

How much does everyone charge to make things happen? This lady is wanting a simple page with a few small videos/pictures and text. What kinda of prices would we be talking about to do something like this. To me it sounds like she is wanting just a simple HTML layout with pictures. I do not want to over charge but I do not want to get ripped off in the process.

She just wants one page on her "site"? That's more of a webpage, not a website. If you think it will only take you a couple of hours, just charge her $100 and move on.

If you are concerned about competing, take a look at some of the quality competitor sites and how much they generally charge. Obviously, no matter who the company is or the designer, prices vary based on the work to be done. Overall, consider what it's worth to you.

How long will it take you to do it? How much is your time worth?

Multiply and deliver it as a quote
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Originally posted by Tim_Greer
    If you are concerned about competing, take a look at some of the quality competitor sites and how much they generally charge. Obviously, no matter who the company is or the designer, prices vary based on the work to be done. Overall, consider what it's worth to you.
    I'm assuming the woman who called him is local and she's probably not going to be hunting around online for competitors -- if she even knows how. She apparently only wants one page (even if she wants a couple, it's the same kind of thing), so this "project" is obviously not going to be very complicated. Just charge a reasonable rate, but make some profit in the process; these kinds of things can be your best source of income (even if they're not glamorous), if you know how to work and charge right.

Originally posted by SniperDevil
    I'm assuming the woman who called him is local and she's probably not going to be hunting around online for competitors -- if she even knows how. She apparently only wants one page (even if she wants a couple, it's the same kind of thing), so this "project" is obviously not going to be very complicated. Just charge a reasonable rate, but make some profit in the process; these kinds of things can be your best source of income (even if they're not glamorous), if you know how to work and charge right.

Here is our OLD church site that I built very crappy design IMO but thats what they wanted.

http://newlifeinchristchurch.net/old/index.html

Some guy quoted them 1200 to do something worse than that had half the amount of pages. The church asked me if I could do it and I ended up making that one you see above for nothing (it was for church) but they ended up giving me like 175 bux + lunch or something. It was all there design I just made what they wanted.

It's nice that you did it for nothing..and nice that they paid $175 for that. Also imho, a church doesn't need a fancy website, and what you made is good enough. I also have to agree with what the other's said.. if it's a single page or two and it's fairly simple, charge her a hundred bucks and make it something nice. That's fair to her and fair to you, I think.

Originally posted by RSayer
    It's nice that you did it for nothing..and nice that they paid $175 for that. Also imho, a church doesn't need a fancy website, and what you made is good enough. I also have to agree with what the other's said.. if it's a single page or two and it's fairly simple, charge her a hundred bucks and make it something nice. That's fair to her and fair to you, I think.
    hey now... watch your self .

175 wasnt just for building the website. I had a lot of work to do (buy the domain hosting etc).

sorry if that was rude.. I'm tired.. shouldn't post when I'm tired.. I didn't mean to sound like it was bad, I do think it's fine man. Yeah the domain and hosting..those can add up... hopefully you nabbed them a domain for a good price like $10 or below and are either hosting the site yourself or got them an account "just big enough" to host the site... you know.. so you had a little bit of spending money after your work.

Originally posted by RSayer
    sorry if that was rude.. I'm tired.. shouldn't post when I'm tired.. I didn't mean to sound like it was bad, I do think it's fine man. Yeah the domain and hosting..those can add up... hopefully you nabbed them a domain for a good price like $10 or below and are either hosting the site yourself or got them an account "just big enough" to host the site... you know.. so you had a little bit of spending money after your work.
    Its cool man, I was just joking around with ya.

Thanks for the input everyone. Give me a better idea on what im thinking of doing.

ohhh i forgot, what about doing updates to the website?

I made this website for $85 (including hosting, domain, and updates). The customer didn't really want much, and he told me the colors and fonts he wanted (personally, I don't really like them, but it was his money so it was whatever he wanted).

Originally posted by kur1j
    ohhh i forgot, what about doing updates to the website?
    I include six months of updates (text mods only) in all of my design packages. If they want to renew this package, I charge them $10/month. I have found that this works out good for me, but you might just have to figure out what works best for you.
    RydelWeb--Affordable Shared and Reseller Hosting
    1-877-625-6868

If its local, then you can charge more than you would online. Alot of people are more successful with local businesses than online.