Shopping for Canadian/US colo provider, suggestions please

I'm in the neck of the woods for a colo provider. I don't even have a server ready for colo at this time but I want to have a facility lined up before I even purchase one. Will be colocating in 1-2 months.

Must be in Canada or US ONLY, Canada is highly preferred!

- 1 or 2 servers, 1-2U case sizes.

- I require a lot of bandwidth for at least 1 of the servers, min is 800-1000 gigs per month. One of my sites hosts a lot of media (non adult). The second machine might just be a DB server or a local backup box so a lot o bandwidth isn't required for that.

- Est. Price range: $50-150 month US

- I'd like to have remote reboot if possible included and at least 99% uptime.

I see most colo. providers sell their services in mbps. How much bandwidth does 1 mpbs =?

Suggestions appreciated.
    Upload Guardian 2 - Malicious Upload Scanner - Windows and Linux!
    Instantly scan uploaded files
    Get notified when released

Your price range is kind of low for the amount of traffic you are asking for.

Try HostVoice to get quotes from providers.

1mbps = 327GB BUT note that per mbps pricing is normally on a 95th percentile basis, that means that if you peak at, let's say 5mbps, for more than 36 hours in a month, you'll be billed for 5mbps even if your real traffic usage is below 327GB for exemple.
    :: Martin Leclair
    :: Linkedin Profile

US$150/month is a bit low for 2-4U of co-lo with 1000GB of transfer. You MIGHT be able to find offers that low, but if you want even the most basic amount of quality, you're looking closer to $300/month.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

May I ask why and how so many dedicated companies can offer entire servers with software and over 1000 gigs transfer for less than $300 per month and I can't get simple colo for this?

It's just strange that I can get and entire server, with software, over 1000 gigs bandwidth for $150 month or less. Is something wrong with the colo business in that they don't want anyone using their own servers, what's the reason behind this?
    Upload Guardian 2 - Malicious Upload Scanner - Windows and Linux!
    Instantly scan uploaded files
    Get notified when released

It's a question of market and competition. The competition is less strong in the colo market since it's more targeted to local customers so there's no need for providers to give you a hallucinating traffic allocation.

There is also the the fact that you can use any kind of hardware in your colocation space, so you could install a powerful Dual Xeon server in a $69 1U space compared to renting a Dual Xeon for around $250/month.

That's about it.
    :: Martin Leclair
    :: Linkedin Profile