Need Dell 650F SAN configuration software

Not sure if i'll get a reply but...

Recently acquired a used Dell 650F storage array.  We would like to use this in our lab for testing/pilot configurations.  Like most used equipment, it didn't come with any software and apparently we need Dell-branded setup/config software to get it working.

Unit was OEM'd by Dell from Clariion which later was acquired by EMC.  Firmware in the unit is customized for/by Dell so Dell-branded setup software is only thing that works.

I'm hoping to find someone that has a working unit and could help us out - otherwise it's a mighty big doorstop!
    Voicegateway.com Web Services - High-performance Hosting & Fully Managed Servers
    Specializing in Virtual Machine Hosting with Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2, Windows SharePoint Services, Microsoft SQL Server 2005, ASP.NET 2.0 hosting and Newsletter/Mailing list services

What OS are you going to be using it with?
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

Have you tried Dell's website, or calling them?

Windows

Originally posted by RackMy.com
    What OS are you going to be using it with?
    Voicegateway.com Web Services - High-performance Hosting & Fully Managed Servers
    Specializing in Virtual Machine Hosting with Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2, Windows SharePoint Services, Microsoft SQL Server 2005, ASP.NET 2.0 hosting and Newsletter/Mailing list services

There are a couple of resellers on Ebay who may be able to assist you - try doing a search for PowerVault in the Networking section. You might also just may get lucky with someone selling the same on Ebay.
    "I drink too much. The last time I gave a urine sample it had an olive in it. ".
    Rodney Dangerfield (from "I Get No Respect!").

I started there.  Everyone is selling "as is" and without software.  Either folks are buying for spare parts or they already have a unit or they are going to get a nasty surprise when they realize they can't use it w/o software.[

QUOTE]Originally posted by Babushka99
    There are a couple of resellers on Ebay who may be able to assist you - try doing a search for PowerVault in the Networking section. You might also just may get lucky with someone selling the same on Ebay. [/QUOTE]

spiv call up ebay ... all the software is on the site
    ServGrid - www.servgrid.com - Affordable and Reliable SSD Cloud Solutions
    Premium 10G Network, 2(N+1) Powerplant and SSD Performance
    Web, Reseller, KVM VPS, Storage and Private Cloud Hosting
    Click here to see our SSD Benchmarks!

Please provide a link if you know of an actual seller that can provider the software.  As I stated in the previous email, only hardware is for sale on ebay; I did not see any software offered.[

QUOTE]Originally posted by The Broadband Man
    spiv call up ebay ... all the software is on the site [/QUOTE]

not ebay's site - dell's site
    ServGrid - www.servgrid.com - Affordable and Reliable SSD Cloud Solutions
    Premium 10G Network, 2(N+1) Powerplant and SSD Performance
    Web, Reseller, KVM VPS, Storage and Private Cloud Hosting
    Click here to see our SSD Benchmarks!

spiv,

Dell 650F is an EMC Clariion, we have many pieces of that. You need to have SAN 3.0 or above to manage it. Do you have HBA, FC Switch? It involves a lot more than you think than a simple DAS like Powervault 210s. If you need multi-pathing, you also need PowerPath from EMC, that by itself costs over US$3,000.
    Hosting Asia (Managed Enterprise Web Hosting Solutions for LESS)
    Tel: (852) 2760-8233 (Asia), 1-800-WEB-0268 (North America)
    Web Site: http://www.hostingasia.com, Email: info@hostingasia.com
    Discounted Dedicated Server, Co-Location, Cluster Server and Shared Hosting

I have a Dell (Brocade) Fiber switch and also two QL fiber cards. I don't have the special UPS (so have to disable write-cache).

It's primarily for  a lab environment to prototype some SAN stuff and decide whether to use FC SAN or newer iSCSI/GigE SAN in the future so failover is not important.

I am concerned that the software doesn't support Windows 2003 only Windows 2000 (well, I don't have the software so of course that is a moot point right now.)

I found some CLI docs which seem to imply that I could do most configuration from a serial/CLI port so I'll have to get over to our DC and hook it up and see how far I can get.

Do you know where one can obtain the Dell software for this?

Originally posted by hostingasia
    spiv,

Dell 650F is an EMC Clariion, we have many pieces of that. You need to have SAN 3.0 or above to manage it. Do you have HBA, FC Switch? It involves a lot more than you think than a simple DAS like Powervault 210s. If you need multi-pathing, you also need PowerPath from EMC, that by itself costs over US$3,000.

For W2K3, you can make it work with QLogic's SANSurfer as you don't need to failover pathing.
    Hosting Asia (Managed Enterprise Web Hosting Solutions for LESS)
    Tel: (852) 2760-8233 (Asia), 1-800-WEB-0268 (North America)
    Web Site: http://www.hostingasia.com, Email: info@hostingasia.com
    Discounted Dedicated Server, Co-Location, Cluster Server and Shared Hosting