London, Britannia.

Unhappy GB News :: Countdown host and TV Legend, Richard Whitely, has died. Ur views

Article extract >>

Richard Whiteley's long-standing Countdown colleague Carol Vorderman has paid tribute to everyone's "favourite uncle".

She said Whiteley, who died days after undergoing heart surgery, was "loved by millions everyday".

The 61-year-old, from Ilkley, West Yorkshire, was thought to be on the mend after a lengthy bout of pneumonia.

He had a heart operation two days ago at Leeds General Infirmary and was said to be doing well but died on Sunday.

Vorderman was the maths brains to Whitelely's easygoing charm on the Channel 4 show for 23 years.

Speaking of the close bond the entire team had developed, she said in a statement: "The Countdown crew loved him, the contestants loved him, the viewers loved him and I loved him.

"We have been on-screen for nearly 23 years and 4,000 shows and in that time a quarter of a million people sat in the Countdown studio audience (I've worked it out because he would find that funny).

"He was the star. Many times the audience was full of students - all younger than Countdown itself - and they came to pay homage to their favourite uncle.

"They had T-shirts made with his face on. They raided their dads' wardrobes for the worst jacket and tie they could find and they had their hair cut like Richard's.

"They loved him. He was the best company you could ever have. He got us all into trouble.

"I'm privileged to have known him, to have been so close to him and to have been supported and loved by him.

"I adored him and I always will."

Whiteley, known for his loud ties and stripy jackets, became an afternoon television icon.

He had presented Countdown since the quiz was first aired on Channel 4 in 1982 and never missed an episode until he got pneumonia in May this year.

The show was only supposed to last five weeks but now has regular viewing figures of four million.

His bosses at Channel 4 said: "We are shocked and stunned to hear of Richard's death."

Whiteley leaves behind his partner of 11 years, Kathryn Apanowicz, who shot to fame on EastEnders in the 1980s.

End extract <<

For the reaction of friends and colleagues/a look abck at this career ::,00.html

One of the faces of British TV , it is a great loss and will be felt in both the industry and living rooms across the country.

I didn't see Countoown this afternoon but i would've been interested to see what open or public reaction there was to the news.

Opinions?? Comments??

Last edited by Critic; 06-27-2005 at 11:49 AM.
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

Wow... I haven't seen any TV today and this is the first I've heard of it. Pretty shocking - RIP
    Clook Internet -
    Fully managed UK based webhosting provider
    Est 2002, 24/7 phone support, all the bells and whistles!