Take a complete backup of system [Debian]

Hi all,

I've just finished installing Debian OS and all applications I intend to have on this server. I took me some days but now I'm happy with the results.

I'm using SW RAID-1 and now I'd like to take a complete dump of the complete installation and burn a DVD for quick restore (if / whenever needed).

Is this possible? How can I do a complete dump of the system and burn to a DVD (actually I want to take a complete dump and transfer the dump to my other machine where I'll burn the DVD).

Any help is much appreciated!

(after this I also intend to setup incremental and full backups using rsync - I think)

you could use something like dd:

dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/disk2/outfile bs=512

or thereabouts. it'll do a bit by bit copy of the filesystem, which could then be mouinted in the future

Unfortunately I only have two disks on my server and they are used in a RAID-set. Therefore I cannot output the dd-command to /disk2 since the system is only aware of 1 disk.

Any solution to this? Can dd output to another computer (i.e. my windows machine)

there shouldnt be too much data on there currently, so a tar of the lot might be good enough. if you get total failure, you can then put a new disk in, put your dvd in and untar to a new dir, and then just chroot into that dir, or even just copy it across to your new filesystem

I can't seem to tar the entire disk? Probly because some files are locked etc.

I do not have a spare disk to use for this?

If possible I'd like to have a solution where I completly dump my server with OS + applications to a file stored on the server (where I later can fetch it via FTP and burn it on a DVD from another place).

Would that be possible do you think?

I think I'll try Mondo or Mkcdrec.

Anyone have experience with them? Which one do you prefer?

If your OS has it, the dump and restore commands work far better on live filesystems than tar. The dd suggestion will backup even empty space on your drive, useless for restore purposes.

restore lets you restore specific files as well with an easy interface.

CROWHOST hosting+colocation services | 877-CROWHOST | support at
    Independent remote-hands serving all Chicago data centers