adding firewall, snort slow down access?

Will adding a software firewall with bfd/antidos and snort slow down the access times to a server as opposed to a server without any filtering in place? I'm afraid that too many rules and filtering may slow down access times.

In most cases, enabling a firewall will not slow down the access times by a noticeable amount. It takes very little processing power to process a rule, and even with hundreds of rules, it would be done well before the next packet shows up. In fact, many people are still using 486s and low-end Pentiums as firewalls.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

I can vouch at least for APF(Advanced Policy Firewall) that you wont notice any difference. We are pushing 800 rules and based on benchmarks, they really hasn't been a difference that I could say would be legit, taking into account network/server fluctuations. The benches was done on a Pentium 3.2 HT, I can't speak for a little celly

You can pick APF up at rfxnetworks.com/apf.php

800 rules?? What are them? lol how about other types of filters or "packet inspectors"?

APF with DDOS + Snort slow down busy servers a LOT - we learn that and don't use them anymore - using Hardware Firewall instead.

Originally posted by ANewDay
    800 rules?? What are them? lol how about other types of filters or "packet inspectors"?

If I told you I'd have to kill you.

I also forgot to add that a non hardware firewall does tend to slow down VERY busy servers, sorry kinda forget. :/