Webserver and File Server integration

I am looking to host my own webserver for a printing related site. I am also looking to set up a central file server for print jobs in production (many jobs are quite large in file size). Some of my production related files will need to be accessed by my customers through a browser. What I am wondering is if my file server and webserver should share the same computer, or should they be on different boxes altogether. What would the pros and cons be for either method.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks

Re: Webserver and File Server integration

Originally posted by bhm8hwcm
    I am looking to host my own webserver for a printing related site. I am also looking to set up a central file server for print jobs in production (many jobs are quite large in file size). Some of my production related files will need to be accessed by my customers through a browser. What I am wondering is if my file server and webserver should share the same computer, or should they be on different boxes altogether. What would the pros and cons be for either method.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks
    Hello
    You can set it up same server as well as on two different servers, both have their own pros and cons.

1) If you put them on the same server, it might impose security issues, if your web server is hacked or anything goes wrong with it as it will be open for public, you might even loose your files etc...

2) If you keep two different servers, you can keep the webserver open for public and keep a second server for your file server. You can upload files to your file server, with whatever way you want and just transfer them at regular intervals using rsync and crontab to web server or use some script to do it, but scripts might again create security issues, so i would recommend to use rsync or scp or some other secure mode to transfer files to the webserver from your file server at regular intervals.

There are many more ways to do it, but rsync is easy, secure and consumes less bandwidth as it only updates the changed files to do it.

Regards

Can you give us some more details on what this setup is going to be used for, exactly? It's very difficult to guess what the optimal configuration is going to be with no actual information on typical usage conditions.