Stream or Download

Hello im working on building a site with lots of videos im currently using wmv but i was wondering if streaming the videos at 300k or slower will save me more bandwith than having someone download the 8 to 10 meg video... and if stream is better how will i set that up on my server Thanks so much in advance

Can anyone Help?

heya, i belive the lower kb rate for videos will use less bandwidth usage =) ..whose your host and how much are ya paying?

i got a dedicated so bandwith is not such a big deal but i will like to consume as less as possible

It's the same

Hi,

Your question has more than one anwer depending on many factors. If you have a good server then streaming will be no problem at all even if your server is busy but if not you will suffer more having to stream to many users at the same time.
    http://www.ciclonpr.com
    Web Design - Web Hosting - SEO Services

ok so is more on how many people are on it at one time than bandwith ,

I run a media site and stream videos. What i suggest you do after your site gets big is get an unmetered bw server just for media and run the htm from another.

Back to your origional question, it depends on the KBS and the number of people downloading at once.

It's going to be the same transfer either way, I prefer downloading media though, so from a visitors perspective a download option is better.

ok thanks alot guys i kind of figured it would be the same i just wasent sure

Originally posted by talkfreelance
    It's going to be the same transfer either way, I prefer downloading media though, so from a visitors perspective a download option is better.
    It will be the same transfer but it will be spread out over a longer period of time which is good if your not limited by BW but just a mbs connection.