Question VPS Instead of Reseller Hosting?

Hey all, I have been shopping for a new reseller host but I've started thinking about getting set up with a VPS instead. My only worry is that I might not have the technical knowledge to keep it going. I've been using WHM and CPanel for years and I feel comfortable with that, but I'm by no means a *nix administrator.

What additional skills do I need to have in order to successfully run sites on a VPS compared to running sites in a standard reseller account?

I've been looking at the PowerVPS CPanel accounts and they look really great. I'm just a little nervous that I'm not up to the challenge.

Thanks

A quality reseller account is more than adequate for 90% of people. Unless you need custom configuration files, php.ini's, PHP 5 / MySQL 4.1, etc; you really don't need a VPS.

There is nothing that you will gain from a VPS that you wouldn't have with a quality reseller account - Quality being the key word here.

We see customers day in day out switch to reseller plans from VPS's because of the learning curve. You will have to learn quite a bit, and if you're not running a few hundred sites, it probably isn't worth your effort from a practical and economic standpoint.

My 2 cents.

Okay well that answers that -- I don't really want extra work unless there is a big performance gain or something. Thanks for the info!

I have got a lot more ressources with a VPS than a Reseller account.

With a VPS, no one can tell you to remove a site, that uses to much CPU or RAM

I switched from reseller to VPS..

I have no idea how a VPS works. but I am learning..
    its preety easy, I have whm and cpanel installed, and i m just amazed at how many features whm has for a VPS (root) then reseller..

you can chekc service status, shutdown stuff , restart, and change all kinda stuff.

Hey masfenix...

What VPS did u get>?

Glow,
    as masfenix said, it's not too hard to use a VPS, yes theres bits in whm where'd you press it, and kaboom, all this techie stuff comes up, but not-to-worry, it's easily understandable after a few weeks of using in, and maybe reading tid-bits of guides.

Allocate some time to familiarise with. You may also want to optimize some aspects of your VPS when you do get it.

If I go with VPS, how if one of my client have bad php script and overload the server, can I know which domain cause the problem?

you can easily learn the basics, a vps is much better and will allow more flexibility
    you can find ones for as little as $15

It depends on the time you have and you are ready to spend on your business.

If your business grows (I hope this for you), one day or another you will need more than a reseller account. A *good VPS* is a way towards a dedicated server.

Unix administration is not too hard to learn when you are ready to dedicate some hours a week just to this task.

You shoudn't learn Unix administration on the actual VPS or dedicated where you host your customers. You can face painfull situations if you do so.

I would recommed to take a small VPS (the cheaper) and use it just to learn how to work on the admin side. Some providers have servers from 10 bucks. [but never put your customers on a 10 bucks VPS]
    Enterprise Consultant
    CCNP Enterprise - CCNP Security
    .:. Travels From West to East .:.

If you are undecided regarding getting more/bigger reseller V's VPS, there are a few things to consider.

If you Don't have at least some Admin skills, and don't need to customise the server config - you may be better off sticking with what you have for the moment.

On the other hand, if you have sufficient income to cover costs, have at least some basic skills and want the ability to customise any or all aspects of the server - then it is probably time to go for a VPS.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

Check out www.vaserv.com

Managed VPS so you don't really have to know the admin side.