What's wrong with my website?

My website

What's wrong with it? It's been up for 3 weeks, and I've had one whole customer. It must be something I've done. The site is based on osCommerce Loaded, slightly modified.

Let me have it. Give it to me straight. Why do I have lots of hits and yet no customers?

And more importantly, what can I do about it? How can I fix these mystery problems?

1. Awful color choice, and I mean, awful. Red + Yellow? Hurts my eyes.
    2. You have too much white space.
    3. You have a donate button.
    4. Maybe people aren't interested in what you are selling.

Where are you advertising it? Also, hits and unique visitors are very different, how many unique hits are you getting?

A Web site is nothing more than a tool. If you use it well, it can bring you a great deal of business. If you use it poorly, it can be a big waste of time and money. You work a Web site into a greater marketing strategy. Putting up a site will never guarantee you'll make a red cent (no pun intended ).

What are you doing to drive traffic to your site? Obviously you have a niche going on here, so what are you doing to reach that market?
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

It's supposed to be a striking color combination - red & yellow, communist, get it.

What can I do to rid the white space? To my eyes, it doesn't have a lot.

it's bright .

going with the theme, maybe include some background that is like a cloth texture, with color being same as a uniform or the shirt the chairman has on in the images?

I must correct myself here - people are commenting on the design. I am more interested in the form. The design is from stock templates that I have modified the style sheets for. It's osCommerce...so I can't really do too much changing on that.

Assuming you were interested in the product, would you buy from the site? What would give you pause, and how could I reassure you? I know the product is good...it's got a lot of kitsch value, everyone I show them to says they're way cool, and they want one, but I just don't get the sales.

In my opinion, there's just too much red and yellow.

Everything is red and yellow!

- Change the ad copy to black or something.
    - Get rid of the yellow background in the headline.
    - Just cut back on the red and yellow.

I don't think there is too much white. I think everything is too cramped. But that's the template, you have to work with that.

As much as you want opinions on whether we'd buy from it or not, that's irrelevant. What you need to focus on is making it pleasing to your visitors eyes, focus on your target market, test, track and adjust accordingly until you get the results you're looking for.

Other than that, you're layout is good and as long as there is a hungry market, you should be fine.

All the best.

Originally posted by drencrom
    Assuming you were interested in the product, would you buy from the site? What would give you pause, and how could I reassure you?
    In one word - no. The posters look great, but if I was interested in buying I would not buy from your site as it is. I know the others focussed on the colours and this is part of the problem. I can appreciate why you have those colours, but I would suggest dropping the red text in the main body of your site, and please get rid of the yellow highlighting. The rest is fine, but those two factors in the main text make the site look cheap and less than professional.

The other thing I would get rid of is the "donate" - again, this makes the site less than professional.

Your contact information should be on the "contact us" page. A potential buyer needs to know who they are dealing with. You have those details in your shipping information but nobody is going to look there until they have already made a decision to buy.

I would also recommend putting in a footer with information to show who customers are dealing with. At this time, your site does not tell anyone who they are being encouraged to give their money to - might as well send money into a black hole.

You want to sell things so you need to have a site that has credibilty, that lets people feel they can trust you with their money and they can rely on you to honour your part of the deal. At the moment, it doesn't have that credibilty so there is nothing to encourage anyone to feel assured that buying from the site is safe.

I hope this is the kind of feedback you were looking for, and I hope it helps.

OK, toned down the colors and made them more sedate. Check here. I suppose the main colors in the posters are red, white, and black anyway. Got rid of donate.

Have to figure out a way to put a footer in with the contact info. The dumb software is all PHP, so it's hard for me to modify anything that's not stock. I was kind of worried about that, as I do live in China, and export the posters directly from here. I'm honest - believe me, at the margins I operate at, there's no need to steal from anyone...I'm already stealing at the prices I charge. The prices aren't unreasonable, by Western standards...they're actually quite cheap, from what I've seen from other websites selling the same type posters...those guys charge $60-$200(!).

I suppose it's the old chicken-and-egg problem...can't sell until you get a reputation, and can't get a reputation until you sell.

The font tag seems to get lost in between the Google ad.

In Firefox I see Arial 12 pitch in the paragraph "Comrades! We are confidently blazing..." but Times New Roman 12 on "At Communistposters.com, we offer you a piece of history...."
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Well, yeah. The font changes. Is that bad?

It's not "bad", but using the same font would look better.
    The site looks better already

Best of luck - I hope it is really successful for you.

colors burn my eyes

Site

Yep the color is strong but it does suit the subject. Take a look at the text though and tone the size down

Regards
    JT

I think it looks excellent, although the logo at the top with the yellow outline is a bit too bright. Hilarious content.
    ------------
    Tim

I liked your site. With the bright colors and all. Then again I like bright colors...check out my site-www.daveseggsandart.com I know it needs alot of work, buts its my first try.