Reliable Host - $50-$100/year?

I am planning to move the website of a non-profit organization to another server. It is estimated that our monthly traffic would use up 15-20GB of bandwidth. Realistically, I would like the prince range to be from $50 to $100 a year (paid monthly).

I am considering DreamHost at the moment; I have had a good experience with them in the past, and their server uptime is great.

Would anyone recommend another host, preferably one that has been in business for more than a year and has some credentials, with reliable servers but a smaller price tag?
    Last edited by Elyse; 06-24-2005 at 02:53 PM.

How much webspace do you require?
    DJBW Network: Provider of reliable web hosting, domain and design solutions since Jan 05
    Afford A Host UK / US / EU
    See Beta Profile for other links

It's hard to find "cheap" and "good" in the same host because the host must conserve costs somewhere. If you've had a good experience with DreamHost in the past and you think you can afford it, you should probably sign up with them again. You're better off going with what you know works than taking a chance based on cost alone Good luck!
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

I use several hosts and my favorite at present (in your stated price range) is www.QuickPacket.com

For $5/month I get a reseller account with a dedicated IP and 50Gb bandwidth. So far I have had no problems with the account and uptime seems to be excellent.

The deal I got was a special offer and may no longer be available but even their standard packages seem to be good value.

Here are some plans that meet your criteria of under $8.33/mo ($100/yr) with at least 15GB traffic. They are listed as follows:

Name of plan, Name of company, Price/mo, Storage, Transfer, # email addys, OS

SILVER 2000PP, 1ForAllHosting.com, $2.49, 2 GB, 30 GB, 200, Linux
    GOLD 5000PP, 1ForAllHosting.com, $4.24, 5 GB, 60 GB, 1000, Linux

SiteGround, SiteGround, $5.00, 1 GB, 100 GB, 1000, Linux

Personal, Dot 5 Hosting, $5.00, 1.5 GB, 50 GB, Unlimited, Linux

Business, WKAI-LTD, $5.42, 2.5 GB, 40 GB, 100, Linux

eV 500, eVerity Web Svcs, $6.63, 100 MB, 20 GB, 500, Linux

Standard Plan, HostingZoom Inc, $6.95, 1 GB, 40 GB, Linux

Basic Hosting, Bravenet Web Services, $6.95, 1 GB, 30 GB, 30, Linux

S-H100, ToeHosting, $7.19, 3 GB, 40 GB, unlimited, Linux

Shuttle, Lunar Pages, $7.95, 3 GB, 40 GB, Unlimited, Linux

Launch, InMotion $7.95, 2 GB, 40 GB, ,50, Linux

ROCKETone, Host Rocket, $7.95, 1 GB, 50 GB, Unlimited, Linux

Infinity Starter, Infinity Host, $7.95, 400 MB, 15 GB, 400, Linux

WebHost I SE, TierHost, $7.95, 1 GB, 30 GB, 400, Linux

Value, Apollo Hosting, $7.96, 1 GB, 50 GB, 50, Linux

3 Star, Speed Fox, $7.96, 1.2 GB, 20 GB, 500, Linux

Value Plus, FreeServers, $7.99, 1 GB, 20 GB, 500, Linux

Hope this helps!
    Finding options is easy. Making decisions... not always so.
    http://www.WebHostComp.com
    The Ultimate Web Hosting Search Engine

It's hard to find "cheap" and "good" in the same host because the host must conserve costs somewhere.
    I know... but DreamHost is a bit out-of-budget. Our money is tight, and considering that the website goes under "public relations," spending too much on it would result in a cut somewhere else, too.

Space does not matter. I'd say 100MB is more than sufficient. However, I am planning on doing something that involves PHP and mySQL, so QuickPacket's plans do not look favorable at the moment.

Bravenet, Lunar Pages, FreeServers, Dot 5 Hosting, and Host Rocket, I've had a rather unpleasant experience with. I will look at the other ones, but none of the names sound familiar.

Maybe I misunderstood your post?

Is your bandwidth requirement monthly or yearly?
    Norm
    www.iHostKing.com/
    Internet Hosting & Design

It's monthly

Take a look at the offers forum, you might find some great plans but beware of the ones offering 5gb/100gb for 1.95/mo.

For your requirements, you should find a plan that suits your needs for under $10.00.
    David

Look at the fine print!!

I am sure you will find a discount hosting company that could give you that much bandwidth, however make sure you look at the fine print in the TOS. Many hosting companies will limit the amount of bandwidth you can use per day when offering that much bandwidth for less than 10 dollars per month.

Many will oversell not counting on you actually using that much bandwidth per month.

Good luck in your search.
    Norm
    www.iHostKing.com/
    Internet Hosting & Design

Their are lots of good cheap companies, be sure to checkout the host quote here in web hosting talk or check the advertisement sections.

I would recommend staying away from a reseller.
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Dedicated | Virtual Premium Servers
    Server Locations in: Dallas | Los Angeles | Singapore | Amsterdam

I am not sure what type of non-profit site you are running but have you thought about talking to some hosts about sponsoring the site at no cost to you in exchange for a a small link on the site of some sort.

Some hosts will work with you on sponsorships, I know we have done a few in the past, but of course none of them were using 20 gigs of BW a month so that might be an issue but maybe something to ask your favorite host. If you like dreamhost maybe that is a place to start or maybe a split between lower cost and a link??

Just a thought.

Robert
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Personally, I have good experiences with DreamHost. On the other hand, I also find that Micfo and Site5 have been working well for me. They may cost marginally less, depending on your payment plan. (longer period -> cheaper)
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Hello,

You can also look at following section of WHT as well:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumd....php?forumid=4

From my personal experience, I can suggest you sonataweb.net, best value for money!
    <<snipped>><<snipped>>
    why?

Thank you for the suggestions. I will check them out. I've heard problems with Site5's servers' being overcrowded. I'd rather not get myself into that mess again.

Sonataweb looks interesting. I will do some additional research on that part.

I am not sure what type of non-profit site you are running but have you thought about talking to some hosts about sponsoring the site at no cost to you in exchange for a a small link on the site of some sort.
    I have, but like you said, 20GB a month is more than what most people would offer to sponsor. I will re-calculate the figures again, and if our bandwidth usage won't be that much, sponsoring might be something to consider... Thanks.

Just look around...I'm sure you'll find something that meets your criteria. Then just do a search here to find out anything good/bad about the company.
    PacketAce
    Because packets were meant to be delivered.
    Premium Mzima Bandwith at Equinix - Secaucus, NJ

There are many hosts who will offer sponsored hosting for your kind of website. If it is indeed non-profit. Donn't forget to ask your choosen host's sales for reduced price. You might get it.
    Dualnic.com | Connectivity. Stability. Reliability.
    Web Hosting & Reselling Since 2003
    "Our pricing may not beat the industry giants, but our service will"

PsychoBob, why isn't Powweb on your list? It provides so much more than those in your list.

Elyse,

I'd have to also put my vote in for sponsored hosting. Most hosts that are advertising rediculous amount of transfer (xxx GB) and storage (xxxx MB) are just going to disappoint you if you're looking for truly great performance from your site. It's just simple fact. They have to skimp somewhere.

I would take a little time to look up some of the hosts on WHT garnishing a great reputation (with prices that may be slightly out of your range) and email them. It never hurts to ask, as DN-Imatiaz suggested. Plus you get to test and see how responsive they are...a good indicator of future relations.

Good luck,
    Trip

A point of caution, while seeking sponsored hosting, ensure you dont seek it from a free webhosting provider.

There are plenty of free webhosting provider, but for majority their stability is questionable.

There are plenty of reputable good hosts, that might sponsor your site.

All the best!
    <<snipped>><<snipped>>
    why?