View Poll Results: Who will host the 2012 Olympics?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Paris

21 23.60%
  • London

37 41.57%
  • Moscow

6 6.74%
  • New York

21 23.60%
  • Madrid

4 4.49%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I think NY will get it but I want London to.

Can you imagine the security if it's in NY?

Officer: "Sir, you cannot enter the stadium with those sticks"
    Random Guy: "Uhh... those are my poles for my pole vault!"
    Officer: "I'm sorry, no weaspons. Goodbye!"

Announcer: "It seems all ouf pole vault competitors are here, but they have no poles!"

Is there anyone from France here?

I'm just curious about the chances of a transit strike during the Olympics if they choose Paris.

Who i support is clear enough.

As to who i think will actually end up winning out in 10 days or so. Well technically speaking i think that the London and Paris proposals are extremeley close with Paris' main edge being that they've done this before and that the Stade de France is already built.

However, once you're this far along in this bidding process, it's all down to politics, and because of that i do believe that London will pip Paris at the line and edge it by as few as two or three votes.

As far as the IOC is concerned, it's a "win win" situation, both high quality technical bids with an obvious legacy and plans in place to avoid the "white elephant" syndrome. London is the most globally representative city on the planet, more so than both Paris and New York, like Rome in classical times. Of course they know that if they do choose Paris it will not adversely affect support from the Brits, in Greece they had the largest overseas following of any nation, with Paris being only a short flight, ferry across the Channel or train journey away, numbers would be even higher.

For me both New York doesn't have the techncial side of the bid to a high enough quality, are there still the major problems with the stadium for instance? And also like Madrid, their respective countries ahve alrady hosted the games in recent years. Moscow, well the IOC eport when publsihed didn't cover them in glory, they might be able to find the money but i don't think they found the right proposal.

The IOC want a safe bet, a reliable city, particularly after the relative scare that Greece and Athens gave them, Paris and London provide this.

Whether it be London which i hope and believe it will be, or Paris, the IOC can be confident that the 2012 hos city and games will push even the Syndey Olympics close and contend for the "best games" tag.

I'll be Trafalgar Square on the 6th of July to hear the result, there's going to be a big screen setup and it will be a place for people support ing the London bid and all the others to gather.

Critic,
    Last edited by Critic; 06-26-2005 at 10:27 AM.
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

And also like Madrid, their respective countries ahve alrady hosted the games in recent years.
    Thinking about it now … didn’t ETA plant a bomb there just the other day?
    I’m thinking the IOC members would be put off voting for Spain due to possible problems.

Is there anyone from France here?

I'm just curious about the chances of a transit strike during the Olympics if they choose Paris.
    I live in France. There was a strike while the inspectors were in Paris, and there are often strikes – I’ve been living in France since 2001, and there have been more strikes here than my whole time living in England (which was well over ten years). But, having said that, the French people have said they won’t strike if Paris is chosen…

Anjay,

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And also like Madrid, their respective countries ahve alrady hosted the games in recent years.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thinking about it now … didn’t ETA plant a bomb there just the other day?
    I’m thinking the IOC members would be put off voting for Spain due to possible problems.
    When i looked back at that sentence i wrote i just couldn't believe the shoddy typing, dar me.

Yes i think i heard something about an ETA incident near one of the former Olympic sites, mind you the one i'm thinking of was probably a month ago, so maybe not the one you're talking about.

However with the new stance of possible negotiation ow being taken by the Spanish government, i don't now if it will play as highly on the minds of the IOC. What i do thinkcould influence the decision in regard to Madrid, is the rise of racist chanting in Spanish football grounds, with the appauling scenes at the Engalnd friendly being one of the worst and most high profile.

Critic,

I really hope NY gets it! I'd love to see some of the Olympics in person.

The IOC want a safe bet, a reliable city, particularly after the relative scare that Greece and Athens gave them
    what do you refer to with the scare??

in the last years USA had Olympics and world cup, Spain had Olympics, France had world cup, so my choice would be London.

NY is not a choice, who is gonna enjoy anything with the kind of security they would have there?? a cop for each person at the stadium?? no way it's a worldwide party, not an american jail.
    enjoy your flaming and hypocracy

Paris got my vote! Go Paris go!
    Paris is beautiful!

Originally posted by indiaberry
    Paris got my vote! Go Paris go!
    Paris is beautiful!
    I think Paris's being beautiful is immaterial to whether it gets the Olympics or not, unless you're actually going to be there, in which case I guess that matters.

Perhaps I should stop being so rational, though; it is a beautiful city.

Originally posted by mp3sattack
    what do you refer to with the scare??
    If you don't mind me being a tad picky, i said "relative scare" but yes i stand by that statement. What i mean is, some of the crucian stadia and arena nearly weren't ready in time for the opening ceremony, there were all sorts of problems with the Aquatic centre for instance. Then in legacy terms, from what iv'e heard from Greece since the Olympics finished, theynow have a whole herd of "white elephants" spread Athens and wider Greece and are still paying for it. Hey i watched and supportedthe games with much enthusiasm, it was great for the Olympics and the country for them to return to their spiritual home but despite all that, there were too many uncomfortable moments moments for the IOC's liking is the impression tht i got. And that wouldn't be the case with London or Paris is wht i meant.

Critic,

oh i see, i thought you were refering to something like the terrorists in USA and the ETA in Spain, nevermind
    enjoy your flaming and hypocracy

I think new york but im not sure

I thought it would of been interesting to have the Olympics in China. A lot will freak out about this "opinion", but let me explain. I feel China, like Iran has a lot of young people trying to pursuade the government into a more of a democracy. Once you bring in the "western civilization" into China, its quite hard to (censor) that.

I think it would be beneficial to help communist China get more into the real world... But thats just my opinion...
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / "Automate. Grow. Repeat"
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / A KEAP Certified Developer (KCD)

The poll didn't have a "who cares" option, so I wasn't able to vote. :-)

Originally posted by RealtorHost
    I thought it would of been interesting to have the Olympics in China. A lot will freak out about this "opinion", but let me explain. I feel China, like Iran has a lot of young people trying to persuade the government into a more of a democracy. Once you bring in the "western civilization" into China, its quite hard to (censor) that.

I think it would be beneficial to help communist China get more into the real world... But thats just my opinion...
    The Olympics are already going to be in China - Beijing - 2008.
    Where have you been?
    Haven't been on WHT for 6 years!

My vote as an NYC resident is... anywhere but New York.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Originally posted by Tim_Greer
    The poll didn't have a "who cares" option, so I wasn't able to vote. :-)
    Oh well, excuuuuuuuuuuuussseee me!
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

NEW YORK ALL THE WAY!!!

I hope it is paris~
    i want to french kiss in paris
    Linux System admin (since 2001)
    * cPanel/WHM, Directadmin, Apache, DNS, PHP, HyperVM, Lxadmin, Openvz*

Originally posted by jasong
    The Olympics are already going to be in China - Beijing - 2008.
    Where have you been?
    Obviously not on here for every single second of my life. Some of us do have lives
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / "Automate. Grow. Repeat"
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / A KEAP Certified Developer (KCD)

Originally posted by RealtorHost
    Obviously not on here for every single second of my life. Some of us do have lives
    Of course you could have known from any of the thousands of other sources other than WHT.

No kidding, I wonder if anyone really does use WHT as their source of news and/or information. Yikes.

...and Tampa was so close

lol at realtorhost i was like wtf?!
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast