Thread: Security

Security

N.C. Man First In Nation Convicted Of Wireless Crime

http://www.channel3000.com/technolog...65/detail.html

N.C. Man First In Nation Convicted Of Wireless Crime
    Man Pleads Guilty To Hacking Into Patient Files

POSTED: 11:01 a.m. EST November 5, 2003
    RALEIGH, N.C. -- Wireless Internet is becoming more and more popular, and with it come new ways for criminals to take advantage of others.

The first conviction in the nation for wireless cyber crimes came down in North Carolina Tuesday.

Clayton Dillard, 29, of Holly Springs, pleaded guilty to hacking into patient records at Wake Internal Medicine Consultants.

Dillard said he broke the law to prove a point that confidential medical records are vulnerable to computer hackers.

Police said Dillard crossed the line by hacking into more than 2,000 patient files.

"No matter what your intentions are, there is a point that experiment and research stops and criminal activities start," said Patrick Nieman of the Raleigh Police Department.

Police said Dillard used a laptop to break into computers. They said Dillard's guilty plea marks the first time anyone in the United States has been convicted of the crime.

"Moral relativism has no place in this. He violated the law," Nieman said.

On Sept. 9, Wake Internal Medicine Executive Director Steve Lauhoff told WRAL-TV the network is now protected.

"We made the correction and our network, I can say with confidence, is to the highest industry standard right now."

Dillard was sentenced to 18 months probation and ordered to pay $10,000 in fines.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Theres just no such thing as common sense these days.

Unsecured wiFi networks you may aswell conduct private conversations over two-way radio.

THe first thing I thought when WiFi came out is "If I can see it whats to stop someone else seeing it?"

An unsecured WiFi network is basically a public service If I conduct a conversation over my CB radio and somene listens in can I take legal action? Of course not you send something unencrypted over the airways (and on a public frequency) its your fault if someone listens in.

WiFi also opens up for a new breed of DoS attack.
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

Originally posted by Dan541
    Theres just no such thing as common sense these days.

Unsecured wiFi networks you may aswell conduct private conversations over two-way radio.

THe first thing I thought when WiFi came out is "If I can see it whats to stop someone else seeing it?"

An unsecured WiFi network is basically a public service If I conduct a conversation over my CB radio and somene listens in can I take legal action? Of course not you send something unencrypted over the airways (and on a public frequency) its your fault if someone listens in.

WiFi also opens up for a new breed of DoS attack.
    If you put a public share on your computer and somebody accesses it via the internet taking all your personal information should that not be a crime either?

WiFi is secure as a person decides to make it. Everything from WEP to a full Radius authentication system can be implemented, just like on any other network. To me it is no different if a person accessed a network they were not suppoed to via WiFi or by sneaking in late at night to plug a patch cable directly into an eithernet port, it's still illegal and should remain that way.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Originally posted by justadollarhostin
    If you put a public share on your computer and somebody accesses it via the internet taking all your personal information should that not be a crime either?
    No if you make something publicly avalible that is your choice I fail to see any bad in accessing a public directory, things I dont want to share I wont place in my public folders. If I dont want people listening to my private conversations I will use my phone instead of my radio.

I fail to see how what he did is hacking, no security the network was offered freely to the public.

People go thru the images folder on my site all the time I dont see how they are doing wrong.
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!