View Poll Results: How much does the amount of bandwidth offered affect your decision to go with a host?

45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Barely an issue; more is not better

12 26.67%
  • Moderately an issue; a reasonable amount is good enough

20 44.44%
  • Significant issue; more bandwidth is better

5 11.11%
  • Major issue; a certain amount of bandwidth is a must have.

8 17.78%

How big of a deal is Bandwidth to you?

I have seen more often than not people say that they need tens to hundreds of gigs worth of bandwidth, yet, in my experience, a lot of the time, clients hardly use more than a couple of gigs.

Please Post how much bandwidth you use on average on a regular basis, and vote on how much bandwidth affects your decision to go with a web host. I am against gross overselling, I am merely curious after seeing a few hosts offer 100gb bandwidth for a few bucks a month.
    Last edited by aixagent; 06-25-2005 at 07:46 PM.
    Small Business Web Hosting with DOT45
    24/7/365 Technical Support; Windows Shared Environment; ColdFusion MX, ASP.NET, PHP, MS SQL, MySQL, Online Store Software, SiteBuilder, Secure Webmail via IlohaMail

i usu use around about 1.5gigs a month but once i plan to get a good site going, it will be going up

My old website had alot of videos on it, so it used up quite alot of my bandwidth, which wasn't very good because I had to pay out more money for hosting costs

Major necessity for me. Stream a lot of vids so I definitely need the unmetered deals.

Major for me, since most of the time the website I end up making is forum only.

Depend on what to you host. If you have in terms and conditions the term that you can`t have music and videos, you don`t need a large bandwith.

Sudbury, ON

moderatly important

just need enough to make sure the site is up and working and not giving exceeded bandwidth allotments .

Above The Clouds
    I would imagine that for 9/10 people, a stable server and reliable service is probably alot more important than bandwidth.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Large necessity for myself as well.
    I currently pump about 300 gigs of personal bandwidth.

I got 100gb, and that is alot more than I need =)

EU - east side
    I would imagine that for 9/10 people, a stable server and reliable service is probably alot more important than bandwidth.
    I agree.

The main problem I see is that many of those with high bandwidth requirements don't plan at all for ways to afford those high data transfer quotas. When hobby sites outgrow the budget of the owner, instead of finding ways to make the site pay for itself, they start to look for a new host - one that offers twice what they have at their current host, for half the price.

A site has a financial aspect to it, as it involves some costs, and unfortunately many if not most people tend to treat this aspect with insufficient attention. That's when bandwidth becomes a "big deal".

BTW, I voted "Barely an issue; more is not better", but fact is "a certain amount of bandwidth is [always] a must have."

I think different users need different BW amounts. For our customers it is not an issue at all. On average our customers use about 1-2 gig per month... some use very very little and some may use up to 10 gigs max. Some hosts seem to "specialize" in giving 100 gigs of BW for $5 but this is not our business model so we have never gotten customers that need this (except for our dedicated customers but of course they pay much more ).

Anyway, I think there are plenty of hosts out there that if high BW is needed it can be found without everyone needing to oversell.

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

90% of our customers don't use more then 10% of their alloted data transfer. And we don't even oversell.
    To assume perfection is merely a display of ignorance.

Every site I've ever worked on (commercial, nonprofit, personal, etc) has used over 50% of its disk space before going over 10% of its allotted transfer. I can't imagine having a bandwidth problem for any of my sites, short of a slashdotting or a mention on Oprah.

I dont use much. lets see how much I get with my new site.