Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

China to close down unregistered websites by June 30

In Soviet China..

Yes that's right, suppress your people, and try and hide them from other cultures. You don't want the good folks of China interacting with outsiders now. Oh no no no. You just can't have folks thinking for themselves these days. Must keep them brainwashed now. No interaction with outsiders. No ideas. No free thought.

Thank you.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

There's nothing no one's going to do about it. China is a communist regime, but atleast it's getting better compared to 30 years ago.
    Can you be scared half to death twice?

I like how they called it "The Great Firewall of China".
    That was great.

It's rather sad though what's happening.
    Haven't been on WHT for 6 years!

There is something good about this. 90% of all links in spam point to chinese websites. This could make spammers look for some other place where maybe there is some laws about this.

Btw, for a while I am considering blocking all IPs from china (and brazil and couple others) from hosting servers I monitor.

Originally posted by jasong
    I like how they called it "The Great Firewall of China".

Originally posted by sasha
    There is something good about this. 90% of all links in spam point to chinese websites. This could make spammers look for some other place where maybe there is some laws about this.

Btw, for a while I am considering blocking all IPs from china (and brazil and couple others) from hosting servers I monitor.
    I agree. Although suppressing political dissent may be high on the list of motives, it is probably not the only motive. Any legitimate Chinese site is probably suffering blockages by potential customers due to the Chinese-hosted spam sites. If this plan works as it theoretically might, that problem could get solved.

They are favored over the U.S. now. Say what you want about the U.S. and capitalism, but its hard to support a communist nation that doesn't allow free speech.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4124164.stm
    "The impossibility of conceiving that this grand and wonderous universe with our conscious selves arose through chance, seems to me the chief argument for existence of God; but whether this argument is of real value I have never been able to decide... The safest conclusion seems to be that the whole subject is beyond the scope of man's intellect." - Charles Darwin

Originally posted by Radix
    They are favored over the U.S. now. Say what you want about the U.S. and capitalism, but its hard to support a communist nation that doesn't allow free speech.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4124164.stm
    The U.S.'s popularity level changes per President. Nothing new, nothing old. I'll enjoy my freedom on the Internet now.

Well at least we dont have that here in the us...

The survey was conducted among nearly 17,000 people from 20 April to 31 May with samples of about 1,000 in most countries, with more interviews in India and China and slightly fewer than 1,000 in the European countries.
    That's not hardly an effective survey at all. Admittedly, yes, popularity has gone down while GWB has been in office, but that "survey" didn't even cover 1/10th of most major cities.

As far as China:
    Honestly, this doesn't surprise me. This is what you get when you deal with a communist state. Unfortunately, they don't want anyone to see how good the outside world really is, so they just limit everything to what THEY want you to see, typical of communism. They control all information, and if you're found with information they don't control, well, you're gonna end up quite hurtin.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

Gosh! They are so controlling! I am sure people will find a way to view the outside world's internet webpages.

I guess the survey should ask where would you rather live, the U.S. or China. Then it would be like 90% in favor of the U.S. .
    "The impossibility of conceiving that this grand and wonderous universe with our conscious selves arose through chance, seems to me the chief argument for existence of God; but whether this argument is of real value I have never been able to decide... The safest conclusion seems to be that the whole subject is beyond the scope of man's intellect." - Charles Darwin

I guess the survey should ask where would you rather live, the U.S. or China. Then it would be like 90% in favor of the U.S. .
    Except for those that were polled in China. There, they'd say China, just because if they didn't they were afraid of the reprocussions

Of course we don't really know that do we? The question wasn't asked.

The American reaction to that poll is to blow it off and blame the pollsters.

Why not have a look at the results and ask why?

I know if I was living there I would be curious as to why world opinion was going this way.

Blue27, you know 100% that he is correct, so don't try to insert a ******** comment to counteract a true statement. It would most likely be 99% not just 90%.

Originally posted by Lev
    Blue27, you know 100% that he is correct, so don't try to insert a ******** comment to counteract a true statement. It would most likely be 99% not just 90%.

How do I know this Lev? How do you know it?
    Because you are American and you assume it to be true?

I wonder if all these new laws and restrictions that the Chineese government is putting in place will help the slow down of spam..
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

The American reaction to that poll is to blow it off and blame the pollsters.
    I'm not blaming anyone, I'm merely stating the facts. That "poll" didn't cover 1% of the population of the U.S. , much less the population of the world.

I'm certainly not naive enough to believe that there's nothing wrong with the U.S., or that there aren't people wanting to leave it. I just don't think that the poll was even close to realistic, because of the minimal sample of individuals surveyed.

Originally posted by blue27
    Because I came from Russia, and everyone I knew was dying to move to the US, out of all the countries. And if you limit it further, between China and the US, most people wouldn't even have to think.

When did you come from Russia?
    Was it before the current administration? After?

Did you do a poll or is this just what people you know thought?

Like I said, people should be spending less time on questioning the poll methods and more time questioning the poll results.

Why is it people Internationally view China more favorably than the US?

It may seem like an anomaly but it is still out there. I personally would want to know why.
    I read a news story a while ago about a huge sink hole in Russia. They interviewed people and some of them thought it was a US attack. It may seem absurd but I would be very concerned if I was a US citizen as to the source of this kind of misconception.

IMO, it's common sense that people across the world would much rather live in the United States than China, a place where the standard -- not to mention the quality -- of living is often absolutely dreadful (excluding Hong Kong); a place where people have very little individual freedom to do as they please; a place where the government controls many facets of your daily life; a place where you can barely access the Internet, let alone outside of China.

I may be wrong about the above, but I sure as heck would rather live in the U.S. than China. Of course, I'm probably biased.

When did you come from Russia?
    Was it before the current administration? After?

Did you do a poll or is this just what people you know thought?

Like I said, people should be spending less time on questioning the poll methods and more time questioning the poll results.

Why is it people Internationally view China more favorably than the US?

I read a news story a while ago about a huge sink hole in Russia. They interviewed people and some of them thought it was a US attack. It may seem absurd but I would be very concerned if I was a US citizen as to the source of this kind of misconception.
    Seriously Blue27, I feel offended that you even believe this kind of crap. It was probably some fake news agency trying to make fun of people who would get a 1600 on the SAT. You should be concerned with silly news agencies misrepresenting the Russian people. Sorry, but the kind of tests people in the US take in 12th grade are given to Russians in the 8th, with better scores. I saw a statistic for that not that long ago (3-5 years). Maybe some homeless person though t it was an attack, but surely not even .000001 percent of the people who saw/read about the sink hole. That's my estimate having lived in Russia for many years, probably more accurate than yours.

I lived in Russia during Soviet Union, then during Gorbachev (still Soviet Union, sort of...) and then Yeltsin. I didn't do any polls, I asked the people I knew or met (actually, people looked at me different once they knew I was moving to the US soon), do you think they were lying? I still know lots of people there, and I call them up, and they still tell me how lucky I am. It's quite annoying when you try to question common knowledge.
    Last edited by Lev; 06-25-2005 at 08:31 PM.

Yes. You are right Lev.
    BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4566355.stm and Yahoo http://news.yahoo.com/s/latimests/20...ingactinrussia are just fake news agencies trying to make fun of people.

I should have known better.
    Silly really.
    You are right. Russians are way way smarter than Americans. That is why you moved to America of course. To try to educate them.

Originally posted by SniperDevil
    IMO, it's common sense that people across the world would much rather live in the United States than China, a place where the standard -- not to mention the quality -- of living is often absolutely dreadful (excluding Hong Kong); a place where people have very little individual freedom to do as they please; a place where the government controls many facets of your daily life; a place where you can barely access the Internet, let alone outside of China.

I may be wrong about the above, but I sure as heck would rather live in the U.S. than China. Of course, I'm probably biased.
    In your opinion it is common sense because you are biased.

How many countries have you been to?

You are looking at everything from an American point of view.
    Of course from an American point of view, or even a Canadian or Mexican point of view, it would be preferable to live in the US.

Other countries don't have your perspective. Some people think differently than you. Failure to understand that will just perpetuate the belief.

Blue27, almost every brilliant US scientist MOVED to the US and was not born here, guess you didn't know that? What US does well is provide a good working environment. That is beside the point anyway, you always try to distract people from the main point which is below.

Article says:

"I thought the Americans had got here," she said, laughing.

You don't see that she was joking? Is it that hard to get?

The other article mentions nothing about Americans at all... So sorry, but your point is completely invalid. Nobody thought it was an attack by Americans, and it's quite clear.
    Last edited by Lev; 06-25-2005 at 08:51 PM.

Yes. You are right Lev.
    BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4566355.stm and Yahoo http://news.yahoo.com/s/latimests/20...ingactinrussia are just fake news agencies trying to make fun of people.

I should have known better.
    Silly really.
    You are right. Russians are way way smarter than Americans. That is why you moved to America of course. To try to educate them.
    Aw, come on blue27, the links you provide are from the UK and the stories are talking about what the local Russians believe. The UK stories are from a biased source, yes, the BBC which as biased as any media source can be and virulently anti-American.

Those Russians have probably never heard a positive story about the U.S. Why would that be? When the state controls the press or when most of the press in Russia still views the U.S. as the enemy, what could you expect to hear from the everyday people in that country? When the people are fed BS every day with no alternate viewpoints, most of what you are going to hear reflected back from the people is the garbage that they've been fed.

That same kind of thing is happening in the UK and France and Germany and Canada and a lot of other countries. That's not to say that the government controls the media in those countries, but the prevailing viewpoints in the media in many of those countries reflects official government policy and anti-US sentiment. What could you expect from the people when they're inundated with mostly one-sided media stories against the U.S.? Garbage in, garbage out.

BTW, if the Russians are so smart, why are they still under a mostly ryrannical government and why have they never surpassed the U.S. economically, socially, politically, militarily. The have never even come close! They continue to be the followers and most of the Russian people are still living in poverty. A superior society and form of government rises to the top.

There has never in history been a country as powerful as the U.S. by any standard that you may want to apply. People all over the world can complain about the U.S., but the U.S. continues to be the envy of the world. Whether you like it or not!!!!

Aren't you the same Sniperdevil that was just a couple of days ago in another thread touting and praising the next great superpower of the world, the Chinese?

You're almost throwing back into this thread the same words that I used to defend the U.S. against your posts. Remember how I suggested that most people of the world, if given the chance, would rather live in the U.S. than any other country?

Anyhow, any country whose government suppresses its people will never be great or achieve superpower status, no matter what standard you want to apply.

Speaking of Russia, I think the U.S. should work more with Russia to improve their economy/democracy since the U.S. pressured them to accept democracy. After all, democracy isn't cheap and swapping to democracy from communism is even more expensive. Making a democracy in Iraq is small change compared to Russia.

Speaking of Russia, I think the U.S. should work more with Russia to improve their economy/democracy since the U.S. pressured them to accept democracy. After all, democracy isn't cheap and swapping to democracy from communism is even more expensive. Making a democracy in Iraq is small change compared to Russia.
    The Russian people have to rise up and take it upon themselves to take the country in the right direction. They were headed there some 5 years ago and allowed Putin to institute regresssive policies which is taking Russia backwards. And many Russians were too impatient and wanted immediate rusults and gratification. Democracy and economic progress takes time.

In your opinion it is common sense because you are biased.
    And I conceded my bias, as appropriate. However, it still seems like common sense, barring my bias, even if just a little less obvious.

One doesn't need to live in America to realize the facts: China generally has a much lower standard of living and is really a bummer to conduct business in and, really, just enjoy life.

How many countries have you been to?
    I really don't see the connection between this and what we were discussing. As I explained above, even without my American bias, it would still seem like common sense that people would rather live in a capitalist democracy than a pseudocapitalist-yet-still-communist nation.

To answer your question, I've been to Mexico, England, France, and the Netherlands. I'm going to Canada next weekend (Bamff and Jasper, to do some hiking, play some golf, etc.) for ten days.

You are looking at everything from an American point of view.
    Of course from an American point of view, or even a Canadian or Mexican point of view, it would be preferable to live in the US.
    Of course I'm looking at this from an American point of view, yet can't a certain level of bias be expected from anyone anywhere? I think it's rather silly and irrelevant to dwell on one's bias just to draw attention away from the point itself; we could talk about biases all day, but by doing so, we're not ever going to discuss the topic at hand.

Other countries don't have your perspective. Some people think differently than you. Failure to understand that will just perpetuate the belief.
    How do you know? As you said yourself, the poll didn't ask which country its respondents would rather live in, so we have no way of actually knowing. My speculation was simply based on common sense -- at least to me.

Originally posted by tekky60
    Aw, come on blue27, the links you provide are from the UK and the stories are talking about what the local Russians believe. The UK stories are from a biased source, yes, the BBC which as biased as any media source can be and virulently anti-American.
    The BBC? [Unusually] biased? What are you thinking? The BBC is one of the most respected, balanced news organizations in the world. I suppose anything which maintains a fairly relative point of view on current events is not comparable to Fox News, whose slogan should read "exceptionally unfair and unbalanced fascist 'news'".

I wonder if Fox News is not acceptable to you, either, because it reports on just some of the casualties in Iraq (but, of course, is sure to add in that we are making significant progress and that President Bush will be giving a speech on the matter at x time).

Those Russians have probably never heard a positive story about the U.S. Why would that be? When the state controls the press or when most of the press in Russia still views the U.S. as the enemy, what could you expect to hear from the everyday people in that country? When the people are fed BS every day with no alternate viewpoints, most of what you are going to hear reflected back from the people is the garbage that they've been fed.
    I thought the Soviet Union ended in 1991. While Putin is by no means a zealous supporter of democracy, things have changed in Russia since you last checked the news in 1990.

There has never in history been a country as powerful as the U.S. by any standard that you may want to apply. People all over the world can complain about the U.S., but the U.S. continues to be the envy of the world. Whether you like it or not!!!!
    That's a rather dangerous attitude; good luck with it when the U.S. collapses as an empire.

Aren't you the same Sniperdevil that was just a couple of days ago in another thread touting and praising the next great superpower of the world, the Chinese?
    According to you, I guess I can't talk about any country besides the great and holy U.S. After all, what else is there to discuss?

Please tell me how I touted or praised China, because I absolutely didn't. I simply discussed the facts with an objective opinion (unlike some, or most, people) on why I thought they would surpass the U.S. economically (read: not necessarily militarily).
    Last edited by SniperDevil; 06-25-2005 at 10:40 PM.

So, the BBC is virulently Anti-American?
    I would like to see some evidence of this rather than accept your mis-informed opinion.

\
    Do you live in Russia? Are you quite sure what press they have access to? Are you so sure the US is any different in controlling what the press prints or are you just making assumptions based on the fact that you are American?

That same kind of thing is happening in the UK and France and Germany and Canada and a lot of other countries. That's not to say that the government controls the media in those countries, but the prevailing viewpoints in the media in many of those countries reflects official government policy and anti-US sentiment. What could you expect from the people when they're inundated with mostly one-sided media stories against the U.S.? Garbage in, garbage out.
    Once again, what are you basing this on? What media are you referring to when you say we are inundated with mostly one-sided stories against the US? Do you have any clue what foreign media reports?
    Have you ever been in a country other than the US? What was the last international newspaper you read? Any? Ever?

BTW, if the Russians are so smart, why are they still under a mostly ryrannical government and why have they never surpassed the U.S. economically, socially, politically, militarily. The have never even come close!
    If the Russians have never even come close why was Ronald so concerned with them? Of course you are not old enough to remember Reagan. He was very concerned about the Russians.

Your ignorance of history is a very good indicator of your age and ignorance.
    If that is the best you can do you should save it until you grow up.

The Russian people have to rise up and take it upon themselves to take the country in the right direction. They were headed there some 5 years ago and allowed Putin to institute regresssive policies which is taking Russia backwards. And many Russians were too impatient and wanted immediate rusults and gratification. Democracy and economic progress takes time.
    I realize you are young and you probably want to seem like you know what you are talking about but you should leave certain threads to the adults.
    Where exactly were the Russians heading 5 years ago?
    How exactly did they "allow" Putin to institute regressive policies which take Russia backwards?

Justify the statement that many Russians were too impatient and wanted immediate reslults and gratification.

Can you tell me who that last three Russian leaders were without doing a Google search?

I dont know about anyone else but I have always wanted to Visit China. A teacher of mine use to teach in China for a little bit, and she said she loved it there. She said China is like America as in there are some parts that are huge and have signs, ect. Then there are small places that are like the "old times".

Anyways I do not have much of a say what the China will do to its people. Though if the people of China wants to rebel against the government that is their choice (they have enough people to do it).

Originally posted by Lev
    Blue27, almost every brilliant US scientist MOVED to the US and was not born here, guess you didn't know that? What US does well is provide a good working environment. That is beside the point anyway, you always try to distract people from the main point which is below.

Article says:

"I thought the Americans had got here," she said, laughing.

You don't see that she was joking? Is it that hard to get?

The other article mentions nothing about Americans at all... So sorry, but your point is completely invalid. Nobody thought it was an attack by Americans, and it's quite clear.

Way to miss the point Lev.
    Instead of blowing everything off as and trying to justify it why not face certain issues.
    Whether or not that old woman was serious, I saw the interview on TV and she didn't seem to be joking, wouldn't it be a little disconcerting to you?
    All of the problems that the Russians face today with all of the former republics, Chechnya and others, who would like nothing more than to see Russia fall, and this old woman immediately though of American aggression.

If that doesn't concern you then you have my sympathies.

So, the BBC is virulently Anti-American?
    I would like to see some evidence of this rather than accept your mis-informed opinion.
    One thing I have noticed about you (at least here, on WHT) is that you always seem to always be focused on "evidence" and "proof". While I admire your persistence and quest to know the truth, one cannot always provide evidence; sometimes it is just a matter of opinion, and I don't think there's ever going to be evidence to directly support one's opinion -- besides the opinion, itself (and so on).

There's a difference between evidence and experience. While experience can't be used as evidence, it can be used to prove somebody else wrong. In this case, however, it is rather impossible and would be in vain to attempt to convince "tekky60" that the BBC isn't "virulently anti-American" (whatever the heck that's supposed to mean). He has his opinions, and we have ours. Sometimes the best you can do is to argue the opinions -- without evidence.

One thing I have noticed about you (at least here, on WHT) is that you always seem to always be focused on "evidence" and "proof". While I admire your persistence and quest to know the truth, one cannot always provide evidence; sometimes it is just a matter of opinion, and I don't think there's ever going to be evidence to directly support one's opinion -- besides the opinion, itself (and so on).

There's a difference between evidence and experience. While experience can't be used as evidence, it can be used to prove somebody else wrong. In this case, however, it is rather impossible and would be in vain to attempt to convince "tekky60" that the BBC isn't "virulently anti-American" (whatever the heck that's supposed to mean). He has his opinions, and we have ours. Sometimes the best you can do is to argue the opinions -- without evidence.

Not true in this instance.
    It should be very cut and dry.
    If tekky60 claims that the BBC is "virulently anti-American" then he could easily prove his point by pointing us to some articles that the BBC has produced that prove his point.
    Everything the BBC produces is public domain. He shouldn't have a problem finding some anti-American examples.

For that matter he should be able to produce examples that other media, such as Canada and Mexico, are anti-American, as he claims.

The BBC? [Unusually] biased?
    Absolutely, unequivocably biased!!!! And, let me correct you: it's not unusually biased, it's usually biased against the U.S.

If you don't read it you don't know what I'm talking about. If you read it and don't see the opposing views represented in the paper or station, then you still wouldn't know what I'm talking about.

What are you thinking?
    I know quite well what I'm thinking and saying! How about you?

The BBC is one of the most respected,
    Respected only by those who agree with it!

balanced news organizations in the world.
    Balanced according to who?

If you put left-leaning views on one side of a balance and left-leaning views on the other side of the balance, is that what you consider balanced?

If you have never seen or heard the other viewpoints, then you don't know what balanced means.

I suppose anything which maintains a fairly relative point of view on current events is not comparable to Fox News, whose slogan should read "exceptionally unfair and unbalanced fascist 'news'".
    I'm quite sure that from reading this current post and other posts from you in the past that you don't watch FOX news. You can deny my statement and you can claim that you watch FOX news, but I'm almost 99% sure that you don't watch FOX. You more likely watch CNN.

I wonder if Fox News is not acceptable to you, either, because it reports on just some of the casualties in Iraq
    The times that I watch FOX, I can be sure that the casualty count is exactly what everybody else reports, on both the dead and injured. And, of course, on the Iraqi dead. And the so-called 'insugent' bombings.

I watch and read from multiple media sources. I balance my sources. I'm pretty sure that I'm better iniformed than you.

(but, of course, is sure to add in that we are making significant progress
    You of course won't know about the progress that is being made in both Afghanistan and Iraq because the main stream media and CNN that you watch will not report on it for fear of making the Bush administration look good. The MSM will most often report about how many Americans and Iraqis were killed on a given day and about how the so-called insurgency is growing and how the war is now a quagmire.

and that President Bush will be giving a speech on the matter at x time).
    Listen closely and try not to have pre-formed negative opinions about what he will report or talk about.

I thought the Soviet Union ended in 1991.
    Listen or read closely about what people are trying to tell you. The discussion here is not about the Soviet Union or about when it ceased to exist. My points were about Putin and modern Russia and how it has strayed from the goals that many people, including many Russians were hoping for..

While Putin is by no means a zealous supporter of democracy,
    You got one point right.

things have changed in Russia since you last checked the news in 1990.
    Like I pointed out to you a couple sentences ago, pay attention to what people are saying or writing. Nodoby here has discussed the USSR or its ending in 1990 or 1991. But, I know quite well where you're coming from: If you can't argue on somebody's point, change the subject, or pretend you can't hear them, or question their knowledge. Won't work. You need to argue on the points and stay on subject and become realistic.

But, to re-iterate my points, Russia, under Putin is moving backwards politically, socially and economically.

That's a rather dangerous attitude; good luck with it when the U.S. collapses as an empire.
    That's a whole lot of wishfull thinking and of course illustrates quite well your very anti-American attitude. You need to come down to earth and face reality.

According to you, I guess I can't talk about any country
    I can't stop you, so go ahead; it's a free country.

besides the great and holy U.S.
    From what I've read from your posts so far, I wouldn't expect you to say anything positive about the U.S. Russia and China and perhaps Saddam and Iran are more your cup of tea.

After all, what else is there to discuss?
    There's plenty to discuss, but your favorite subjects seem to be the evil U.S. and the evil BUSH.

Please tell me how I touted or praised China, because I absolutely didn't.
    It's already in print. Go back and review the thread which I made reference to.

I simply discussed the facts
    You have no facts, just opinions.

with an objective opinion (unlike some, or most, people)
    You know how to spell 'objective', but objective is absolutely not what your opinions are. They're one-sided, left-leaning, blame Bush, and blame-the-U.S.-first, hate-filled diatribes.

on why I thought they would surpass the U.S. economically (read: not necessarily militarily).
    You gave no reasoned thinking about why or how the Chinese would surpass the U.S. economically. You have not seen the history of socialist or communist economic policies. They have always failed! And they will fail again in China just like they did in the USSR and many countries in Europe..

And, whatever economic gains the Chinese have made, a large portion of it has gone into the military. Their biggest goal is to rival the U.S. militarily. In that other thread, you dismissed my statement about how the Chinese are using their economic gains to build up the military only because you had not heard of that before. Just because you haven't heard of something before does not make it an invalid point.

Ehhh, can I register my sites in China and then dare them to try and shut me down?

nah nah na nah nah, you cant get me

Seriosly, that would be hilarious if websites across the globe started doing that...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast