Have you ever asked a provider regarding Hardware...

I was wondering, just seeing this as a customer perspective.

Customer opens a Sales ticket with Provider, asking for more information regarding their services, and additionally he asks for information regarding CHIPSET, and Motherboard information.

Have you ever asked a provider for hardware information on a Pre-Sales ticket? - If so, did they gave you the chipset and motherboard information?

I think it's silly to keep the information for themselves as you can figure it out by running a PHP script called PHPsysinfo.

Thanks,
    Francisco
    ^_^

I have asked this before and unless it's a custom server, they usually have no clue what mobo/core/RAM they have.

If you lease a significant number of servers it's near impossible to keep track of the mother board and chip set info. I seriously doubt the major dedicated hosts can track this information.

Pretty much the only thing they will know is processor, HDs and ram. Pretty unrealistic to expect them to know more.
    SiteSouth
    Atlanta, GA and Las Vegas, NV. Colocation

Originally posted by mgphoto
    If you lease a significant number of servers it's near impossible to keep track of the mother board and chip set info. I seriously doubt the major dedicated hosts can track this information.

Pretty much the only thing they will know is processor, HDs and ram. Pretty unrealistic to expect them to know more.
    I don't think Fransisco meant it in that sense. It's really more of a pre-sales question, especially with Intels. There are numerous models that run at the same clock speed but run different cores and have lots of variety in terms of performance.

I think this kind of information should be kept on record for sales purposes. In some cases, in small companies, the sales people are actually the people that ordered all the parts, and may even build the servers also, so I don't think it's out of line to request detailed hardware info.

I could see the point if it were a new server being built, but if it's a server that has already been in service I wouldn't expect the host to know.
    SiteSouth
    Atlanta, GA and Las Vegas, NV. Colocation

But surely when they're imaging machines, they all must have the same chipsets and basic underlying hardware?

Iv'e only ever imaged Windows based machines though (with Norton Ghost), and if you take a snapshot of a machine, and place it onto a machine with a different chipset, you'll get the lovely BSoD as soon as you begin to boot I don't think this really applies to Linux boxes though.

Point being, if they sell Windows-based boxes, they must have records of chipsets.

I'm sure they do.. Any time they do a format they would need to have the chipset discs handy along with vid card drivers, Nic drivers etc..

Most OS's recognise the basic stuff such as Video/LAN/etc by default without the need for the drivers, infact I doubt many DC's actually have the drivers handy - and if they are doing a reinstall, it'll likely be from a Ghost image or whatever, and not fresh.

We generally use brand hardware, so it's easy enough just to refer the customer to the spec sheet on the manufacturers website ...

What I ment with the thread, is let's say you are in the market for a dedicated server, but you would like to know the model and brand of the motherboard so you can investigate the speed and reliability on review sites.

Just an example. I hope it's clearer now.
    ^_^