Books - the full thing

Can anyone recommend any book that teaches one how to COMPLETELY setup a dedicated server? from 0 to nearly everything? cause I want to setup my dedicated derver by practically know nothing about it, so I need to learn, and I figured the best way would be via a book...

Flint, Michigan
    What exactly are you planning to setup? You would need a library to know everything. Check out getting a subscription to O'rielly Safari (I know I murdered the spelling on that). For a webhosting server you are going to need to know networking, DNS, apache, BIND, FTP, basic linux commands, commands for your specific OS, etc... It is not as daunting as you think it is though.
    Mike from
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at

Under The Floor Tiles
    I suggest you use a control panel such as cPanel/Web Host Manager or DirectAdmin. Both control panels manage the operation of your server and they install and automatically configure the basic services, like PHP, MySQL, Apache Webserver (HTTPd), an FTP daemon (DirectAdmin installs ProFTPd, which is a very stable and popular FTPd) and much more. Control panels also make everyday tasks a snap, like adding users, and working with users to manage their accounts. You may think it's a bit pricey (I've seen cPanel/WHM priced as high as $40/month by some hosts, to cover the cost of the license) but it's well worth the money in the long run.

Which operating system will you be using?
    crucialparadigm - Affordable, Reliable, Professional :
    Web Hosting
    24/7 Support Web Hosting Reseller Hosting Cloud/VPS Plans Dedicated Servers

New Jersey
    The reason there is no book that shows you A to Z on server set-up is just exactly what this thread points out - there are many different flavors of dedicated servers. Web, file, game, shared, VPS, etc, etc. All need different set-ups. And when you factor in the different flavors of hardware, operating systems, software and the like - you get more flavors than Baskin Robbins ice cream.

On a personal level, I went out and bought a copy of Suse Linux way back when, installed the bare minimum on a (old now, new then) Pentium 2 machine and just started messing around. Best learning comes from trial and error!