Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Guess I should Look For A New Job....

Boss is a little mad at me now. He is a idiot. Knows nothing about how to run a business. He works days for four hours. Anyway I have been telling him when he is wrong the past few weeks when he comes to me bitching about things. He talks **** about the employees behing their backs. He has this big board at the back of the store where he leaves notes saying what you did wrong. Today he left me a note saying Jesse, you need to flip the onions when you fill them up because I just threw away over half of a container. Well I am the first person working at this restaurant that talks back when i'm right. I replied to the note. I wrote:

Hey, whats up? About the onions, correct me if i'm wrong, but is day staff not supposed to flip ALL PRODUCT into new contaniers every two days to make sure that the product is fresh and without bacteria? Just checking...Have a great day

He hates when I reply to letters stating facts that i'm right.

If you don't get it from the previous post, I work nights and we are not supposed to flip product into new containers because that is what the day staff is supposed to do (my boss)

Boss's don't like employee's with a smart mouth.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Originally posted by akashik
    Boss's don't like employee's with a smart mouth.
    this is true

When you shove the truth in someone's face they are likely to become insecure and lash out. It takes a person of strong character to admit they made a mistake.

I know my boss hates it quite a bit

If a job needs to get done then it needs to get done. I don't like it when someone says it's not part of my job. You're getting paid to work. At least you know you should look for a new job since it's hard to work for someone you don't like or respect. So good thing you're looking for a new job.

Originally posted by arpmn
    If a job needs to get done then it needs to get done. I don't like it when someone says it's not part of my job.
    Read my posts. It is the days job to do it. My boss is not doing it (his job). We have a sheet posted that says what you do in your shifts. How do I know they are not doing it? I do what my shift of crew is supposed to do.

Originally posted by JonMB
    When you shove the truth in someone's face they are likely to become insecure and lash out. It takes a person of strong character to admit they made a mistake.
    Very true! One of many things I look for in a person is the ability to concede the truth. If someone is too vain or self-righteous to admit his wrongs, I'm inclined to judge them as one lacking in character and most definitely in integrity.

I must say, however, that if you're at all interested in keeping your job, you'll stop being a smart-*** to your boss.

Originally posted by SniperDevil

I must say, however, that if you're at all interested in keeping your job, you'll stop being a smart-*** to your boss.
    It's not that i'm even just a smart ***. This person is so rude. He makes fun of the black employees. I'm the only person that will stand up to it. It's just not right and I have been putting a stop to it.

You will probably keep getting by with mouthing off to your boss at your current job but when you get into the real world (ie: nothing that requires a cash register or spatula to complete your duties) you are going to have to learn to be humble sometimes when dealing with your boss(es) because there are many many to come that will make this guy look like a dream.

Originally posted by OKI-Paul
    You will probably keep getting by with mouthing off to your boss at your current job but when you get into the real world (ie: nothing that requires a cash register or spatula to complete your duties) you are going to have to learn to be humble sometimes when dealing with your boss(es) because there are many many to come that will make this guy look like a dream.
    That's why I have some advice for him: start your own company, and be your own boss.

Originally posted by SniperDevil
    That's why I have some advice for him: start your own company, and be your own boss.
    Yes, but then all your customers become your boss!

Actually, you might cut your boss some slack... maybe he has some personal problems at home and he is getting confused at work. If this is an isolated problem, you might give him the benefit of a doubt. If it's a constant problem, though, then you need to lookout for #1 (yourself) and, indeed, look for another opportunity (notice I didn't use the j-o-b word).

Good Luck!
    You may delay, but time will not. --- Benjamin Franklin

Sometimes you need to pick your battles. Standing up to a boss who makes fun of black employees is a different kind of battle than whether or not to flip the onions. Doing either one might get you fired - so the question becomes, is it worth it?

And sadly I have to agree that this is probably just the first of many difficult folks you will have to work for or with.

Red

Someone I knew had a saying

I don't much care what my supervisor asks me to do as long as it's not illegal and I'm still getting paid the same amount per hour
    Not to say that it isn't frustrating when one shift slacks on their duties.

One time when I worked at a bank my branch manager asked me to straighten the supply room (the shelves were a HUGE mess). I spent almost 2 hours rearranging, organizing, and even taping index cards to the shelves so people knew what was supposed to go where. Looked pretty damn good, if I do say so myself.

Didn't get so much as a "thanks" or "looks good" . Fact is, some bosses/supervisors will try to squeeze as much out of you as they can and chalk it up to that being part of "Other duties as assigned".

One more reason why I MUCH prefer to work for myself
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

A secret, but onion rings are really for throwing at people.

My boss is not doing it (his job).
    What, your boss isn't signing your checks? He's not making out your schedule? He's not opening the store when he should be? He's not collecting your timecard to read it so that you can get paid? THAT is his (or her) job, running and managing the company. If something isn't done that's supposed to be done on his shift, don't be a smartass about it, TELL him about it. If he doesn't change it, well, you know what? HE'S the boss, deal with it.

This person is so rude. He makes fun of the black employees. I'm the only person that will stand up to it. It's just not right and I have been putting a stop to it.
    is what he's doing illegal? No, he probably makes fun of just as many "white" employees as he does black. Who cares what you think is right, he certainly doesn't? Instead of putting your own job in jeapordy, you need to realize your place in this environment. That is NOT you telling your boss what to do, or "standing up" to your boss. Like it or not, you have no rights or place to do that, whatsoever.

It all comes down to knowing your role and playing it. You are the employee, your job is to follow instructions, do your job, and take orders. He is the boss. His job is to give orders, keep harmony in the work place, keep the business running, and not take **** from smartass employees who think they know all.

Is what he's doing rude? Most likely, yes, it is. However, it's not your place to tell him that he's being rude. It is your place to function as an employee, not his boss.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Just leave it behind. New work is a good reason for positive changes.

Good luck!
    Banners logos and website design! Sweet prices, fast turnaround! >>> Portfolio

Originally posted by linux-tech
    is what he's doing illegal? No, he probably makes fun of just as many "white" employees as he does black. Who cares what you think is right, he certainly doesn't? Instead of putting your own job in jeapordy, you need to realize your place in this environment. That is NOT you telling your boss what to do, or "standing up" to your boss. Like it or not, you have no rights or place to do that, whatsoever.

It all comes down to knowing your role and playing it. You are the employee, your job is to follow instructions, do your job, and take orders. He is the boss. His job is to give orders, keep harmony in the work place, keep the business running, and not take **** from smartass employees who think they know all.
    If you aren't familiar with some of the laws regarding discrimination in the workplace in the United States, familiarize yourself with them. You'll see that if he's exclusively picking out black kids to make fun of, it's probably reasonable to assume he's discriminating -- which is illegal. Besides, why should one have to put up with being made fun of by a boss? That notion is simply outrageous. If a boss is making fun of people, he isn't doing his job because he's not maintaining "harmony" in the workplace.

Originally posted by linux-tech
    Is what he's doing rude? Most likely, yes, it is. However, it's not your place to tell him that he's being rude. It is your place to function as an employee, not his boss.
    If my boss was being a bigot, I would say something. At that point, I wouldn't give two ****s about keeping my job. There's more to life than sittling idly by and doing absolutely nothing about ignorance and bigotry.

Originally posted by OKI-Paul

I beg your pardon but my last restaurant, which had both a cash register and many spatulas, was doing 1.6 million a year in sales before I sold it.
    Are you suggesting that my employees were not working a "real world" job?

I think he was refering more to the minimum wage McD's kind of kitchen rather than a restaurant kitchen - which having worked in one - I can also appreciate the difference you do as to where they are on the totem pole.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

If a boss is making fun of people, he isn't doing his job because he's not maintaining "harmony" in the workplace.
    At the end of the day , it's his workplace to do so as he wishes. Making fun of people breaks absolutely no law, and, while it may be rude, it's certainly not illegal to do. It's never the employees place, or right to "stand up" to the boss, that merely promotes insubordination, and encourages individuals to do so constantly, whether they're right or wrong.

You'll see that if he's exclusively picking out black kids to make fun of, it's probably reasonable to assume he's discriminating
    Incorrect. He has the black kids, he has the white kids, presumably he has females, etc, all working for him. He's NOT discriminating against anyone based on color, probably the same with sex, and most likely religion, so where's it illegal? It's NOT illegal to poke fun , make fun of people, or whatever.

The other side of the coin is very valid as well perhaps the person "hearing" this poking fun, or making fun of people should grow a bit thicker skin. Was the comment directly made at you? If not, then MYOB and do your job. Your job is never to question that of your manager, supervisor or anything else in any authority position, ESPECIALLY in a workplace.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what you think, your boss is right. Get used to it, that is how business works. If it comes down to your opinion vs. your boss' opinion, your boss is ALWAYS right. He signs the checks, he gives you the hours to work, he puts up with your crap a lot better than most would. In the real world stuff like this happens daily, and challenging the boss will get you fired in an instant. Consider yourself lucky that you haven't been yet.

Originally posted by akashik
    I think he was refering more to the minimum wage McD's kind of kitchen rather than a restaurant kitchen - which having worked in one - I can also appreciate the difference you do as to where they are on the totem pole.
    Quite possible Greg but the analogy is off base.

Good management is not exclusive to those who wear a suit and a tie.

If the manager of the restaurant in this situation was in the least competent he would have fired the thread starter very quickly.

That's why customer service is terrible at most restaurants, retail stores etc. Employees making min wage so they don't care and they have a chip on their shoulder. They don't want to make any effort but collect a pay check. That attitude comes through loud and clear to the customer.

If the manager of the restaurant in this situation was in the least competent he would have fired the thread starter very quickly.
    I agree, 100% here. A competent manager wouldn't tolerate the kind of smartass attitude that tells HIM how to do HIS job. Of course, the other side of things is true as well. Cheap labour is damn hard to find, no kid wants to work in a "restaurant" any more, they all want glamorous jobs, not realizing you've got to start somewhere.

That's why customer service is terrible at most restaurants, retail stores etc. Employees making min wage so they don't care and they have a chip on their shoulder. They don't want to make any effort but collect a pay check. That attitude comes through loud and clear to the customer.
    There, it's a bit more than that If that was the case, then, anyone who made minimum wage would just go out with a grudge against things, and that'd be a WHOLE hell of a lot of people. The work environment is just damn terrible (believe me, I know, I did a few years in various restaraunts), the pay sucks complete ***, and the management usually doesn't give a damn about their employees. Hey, they're paid crap wages too, and put in a LOT more hours than those minimum wage employees.

In fact, management @ restaraunts get paid in many cases LESS than the employee, as they're salary, and have to work a TON more hours, beit from home (doing invoices, schedules, etc), or @ the store, and many manage more than one. It's completely not surprising to see them running two or three for the same franchise owner.

Anyways, I stray away from the topic. This is a job, it's a learning experience, it's not supposed to be pretty, or to be something that you want to do the rest of your life. It is however, supposed to teach you the basics in how to survive, and the lessons you'll need later on in life. So what if he's making fun of kids behind their backs. Is he harming anyone? Naaah. Is it illegal? Naaaah. Is it prejudice or bigotist? That depends, really, and, unless you've passed the bar in your specific state, and have been appointed a judge, you're certainly no person to make that call.

In the end, kick back, quit being a smartass, enjoy your job for what it's worth. Rather than quit the job because you don't like what the man does, learn to deal with it in a proper manner, because, believe me, you WILL see much worse out there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast