Question Download From SSH?

I have a backup directory in root, but the only way I know to get to it is through ssh, so how can I download backup files?

You could move them to a directory that's accessible via FTP and download them that way.

You could use SCP or SFTP.

Thanks, I just went ahead and moved it. Hadn't thought of doing that

Okay, actually I am still having a problem. I moved it, but I can't download it. It says permission is denied, and I try to change the permissions and it won't let me.

dont use FTP!!!

You shouldn't be using FTP to move data around the net. 1 its plaintext. 2 it's old and doesn't do very good error checking

SSH supports file transfer fine.

goto winscp.sf.net

to get a client for wind0ze which works just like an ftp program.

SSH/SFTP I much more secure and stable than ftp. FTP is really only good for public anonymous sites, anything else use SSH.

FTP is used on many sites across the world, including top notch ones. SFTP is more secure of course, but i highly doubt there is going to be anbody sniffing packets. I can't believe you log into webhostingtalk.com as the login system here does not go over a secure connection. In any event, if you were confused it's spelled windows.

Now back to the actual problem at hand and off of the debate over not using FTP to transfer files, when you moved the files to the FTP directory and logged in via FTP those files need to be owned by the user/group that you log in as. Example:

You log in as root and move httpd.conf over to /home/someuser/ and then FTP as some user to get the files. The owner and the group on the files is going to be root (or possibly apache, that's besides the point). You need the files to be owned by someuser.

chown someuser.someuser file

that will chang who owns the file so that you can download it. If that doesn't work you most likely need to chmod the files to the proper settings to allow you to read them as well.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Or you could use ssh, and not have to worry about creating a second group/user mapping for ftp shares....

It's s simple choice really. FTP is a defacto standard, but IMHO it should have died years ago for various reasons.

If you're using windows as your desktop machine, just get the ssh client at www.ssh.com and use their file transfer program that comes with the ssh client. It's as easy as moving files around on your own computer. All GUI, easy to use and it's encrypted.

Eww the comercial client.... Yuk... Use putty and winscp you won't regret it.

Or FileZilla.

SSH... can't you just use the "move" command?

Bah! Just use WS_FTP and be done with it! (supports SFTP/SSH connections easily enough).

People are much too worried about people sniffing their packets. Unless you are on a wireless network odds are you won't have a problem.
    Nick Catalano
    Account Manager at Steadfast Networks
    Email/XMPP: nick @ steadfast.net | AIM: CatalanoNick

Actually the benifits of ssh, comes primarily from it's authentication mechanism, and that it allows for seemless filesystem heirachy browsing much more elegantly than ftp. I don't know about you but it's insanity to allow ftp access to anything but /var/ftp/. And do you really want your root password being sent unenencrypted(not that you should ever login as root, login as unprivledged and sudo up damit!) where it's easy for someone who knows that there are idiot operators running a server and just have to sit back and wait to gain root.

SSH is also far better for remote machine to machine copy. Wheras FTP normally does not support this.

I don't know SSH is a fundemental tool, it takes less than 5 mins to learn every ssh command you NEED. Get a clue and type man ssh, otherwise feel free to join the legions of comrimised systems.

BTW I'm not paranoid at all in fact I couldn't care less if someone comprimised my systems. What I do care about it ease of use and correctness of fit for the task. FTP generally is clumbsy, old, and more difficult to maintain as a usefull remote filesystem than SSH.

These are not simply best practice rules, they ARE the best way.
    Last edited by aenertia; 06-26-2005 at 03:54 AM.