Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brighton, MI
    Posts
    1,582

    LA Datacenter for Gaming

    I am looking for a good data center in the LA area to house a machine used for my game server company. I need excellent bandwidth and low latency and 1u of space. I am looking to pay about $110/mo for this with 1mbps 95% I am with steadfast/equinix now in chicago and this is the setup I have at the moment and it is going very well. Any suggestions?, I am open to any coast areas of california as I do have some players that are from hong kong looking to get on this server so I want them to have a hopefully low enough ping to be playable! thanks for any input

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6,889
    I'm just wondering, why are you looking at LA instead of San Jose?
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brighton, MI
    Posts
    1,582
    actually I would prefer san jose but it seems like la would be easier to find a DC at since there are so many there. I would be open to there defiantely

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    2,179
    Dude, just do a search! there've been at least 5 threads in the last 2 weeks on LA
    ServGrid - www.servgrid.com - Affordable and Reliable SSD Cloud Solutions
    Premium 10G Network, 2(N+1) Powerplant and SSD Performance
    Web, Reseller, KVM VPS, Storage and Private Cloud Hosting
    Click here to see our SSD Benchmarks!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brighton, MI
    Posts
    1,582
    Originally posted by The Broadband Man
    Dude, just do a search! there've been at least 5 threads in the last 2 weeks on LA

    well that was a productive post wasnt it

    I was asking for personal experience for gaming in los angeles and/or coast based data centers for gaming. I have in fact used the search button this is not my first forum and I did not find anything really relevant for gaming, hence the reason for the post

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    2,179
    Really? Unless all my posts got deleted, I can remember myself posting about this very topic ....

    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hlight=LA+game
    ServGrid - www.servgrid.com - Affordable and Reliable SSD Cloud Solutions
    Premium 10G Network, 2(N+1) Powerplant and SSD Performance
    Web, Reseller, KVM VPS, Storage and Private Cloud Hosting
    Click here to see our SSD Benchmarks!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brighton, MI
    Posts
    1,582
    well thanks for the link, I did not see that one in my searches I was searching for "LA data center" and got a bunch of nothing, things happen I suppose, but i have a pet peeve of mine where people ask for help and people just write "search you will find it" what would someone say if you called dell/compaq and told them you had a problem configuring a raid controller and they told you "dude, read the frickin manual there is tons of things in there"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    2,179
    I don't usually say serach but i personally haveposted in like 3 in the last 2 weeks
    ServGrid - www.servgrid.com - Affordable and Reliable SSD Cloud Solutions
    Premium 10G Network, 2(N+1) Powerplant and SSD Performance
    Web, Reseller, KVM VPS, Storage and Private Cloud Hosting
    Click here to see our SSD Benchmarks!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brighton, MI
    Posts
    1,582
    well that is a good thread and contains the info i needed. I am doing the search again and I am still not even seeing it though....weird

  10. #10
    I have a server going on the corporatecolo.com mzima/gblx network here in the next week or two, once dell ships the server to me. Ive had monitors on their network for a while now, and haven't seen any performance issues. Id give them a ring, and see what you can work out with Jon, or victor. Heck, Ive even talked to Garry for sales questions, and hes the network guy.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    3,038
    Originally posted by concept
    I have a server going on the corporatecolo.com mzima/gblx network here in the next week or two, once dell ships the server to me. Ive had monitors on their network for a while now, and haven't seen any performance issues. Id give them a ring, and see what you can work out with Jon, or victor. Heck, Ive even talked to Garry for sales questions, and hes the network guy.

    Dedicated looks a bit pricey.. I assume they prefer colo?

    -933 MHz Intel processor
    -256 MB of RAM
    -40 GB ATA/100 hard disk
    -65 GB of monthly data transfer
    -Remote reboot
    The Dedicated 100 server is available for $349/month, with a $349 setup fee.

  12. #12
    Actually I didn't even know they had dedicated when I signed up. Their colo price is very reasonable. Ive had quite a few servers on the west coast, and non of the networks Ive been on have been satisfactory. I am hoping this will be a long term location.
    Last edited by concept; 06-25-2005 at 12:48 AM.

  13. #13
    Savvis has 4 data centers in CA. 877-741-2180

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brighton, MI
    Posts
    1,582
    I am interested in corporate colo but is Mizma bandwidth the best choice? I seem to recall reading about how they might not be the best solution for gaming related servers. any input on that? I have been waiting for this other guy to jump on AIM so I can ask him some questions but I have not seen him

  15. #15
    Originally posted by X-Gaming
    Dedicated looks a bit pricey.. I assume they prefer colo?

    -933 MHz Intel processor
    -256 MB of RAM
    -40 GB ATA/100 hard disk
    -65 GB of monthly data transfer
    -Remote reboot
    The Dedicated 100 server is available for $349/month, with a $349 setup fee.

    Colo is about all we do, the link on the site to dedicated servers is actually quite old (outdated pricing), we're going to take it off.
    Garry Dolley @ ARP Networks | gdolley _at_ arpnetworks . com | #arpnetworks on Freenode | @arpnetworks, @bsdvps
    State of the art services, strong community and friendly support
    FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Linux VPS • ARP Metal™ Dedicated Servers • Colocation • IP Transit
    Native IPv6 • VNC Console • Tunnel VNC over SSH • Serial Console over SSH • DNS Manager

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    4,612
    Originally posted by rmurray321
    well thanks for the link, I did not see that one in my searches I was searching for "LA data center" and got a bunch of nothing, things happen I suppose, but i have a pet peeve of mine where people ask for help and people just write "search you will find it" what would someone say if you called dell/compaq and told them you had a problem configuring a raid controller and they told you "dude, read the frickin manual there is tons of things in there"
    You're paying Dell/Compaq to answer the question in those cases. When you have regular people answering questions, you should always show them the respect of doing a proper search before taking up their time. Some people here have a pet peeve exactly the opposite of yours

    In any case, just search, and you will find it. There are plenty of threads in the last couple weeks where people give their personal opinion of LA data centers for gaming. Always try a few variations of your search term.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    8
    i never liked buying from dell/compaq; i build my own so i know exactly what goes in and how it runs from the start

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    3,038
    Originally posted by eliminate
    i never liked buying from dell/compaq; i build my own so i know exactly what goes in and how it runs from the start
    err.. Did you actually read this thread or just skipped to the last post? Not sure what dell/compaq and your building abilities have anything to do with this thread at all..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •