copyright laws on website design..

can anyone be imprisoned for copying of website designs? if yes, how long will it be?

-----------------------------------

Phil I. Pines
    "Everything has to be legal"

I'm sure a little research will uncover precedents set on the consequences for theft of intellectual property. I would imagine this has a lot to do with your location, but in the U.S., theft of property deemed to be more than $350 in value is a felony, which will almost certainly result in jail time and the payment of punitive damages and legal fees.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

In a nut shell, Anyone who has stolen a website design/template can normally be asked to have it changed and theyll comply. If they dont, You can have a court order to have the said person(s) to change their name/content/design and to reimburse for damages to name and/or said property. Normally jail-time only occurs if they start reselling your template without your consent and/or without reimbursement for royalties.

Originally posted by the_pm
    I'm sure a little research will uncover precedents set on the consequences for theft of intellectual property. I would imagine this has a lot to do with your location, but in the U.S., theft of property deemed to be more than $350 in value is a felony, which will almost certainly result in jail time and the payment of punitive damages and legal fees.
    But copyright infringement, or theft of intellectual property, isn't prosecuted under the same laws as theft of physical property (why it's treated differently being the subject of continuing legal debate).

The possible criminal penalties in the US would depend on the specific violation and which specific section of the US Code was violated.

Information on a few of the possible penalties is available here on the copyright.gov website.