Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Oil touches $60, U.S. demand steams ahead

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050624/...kets_oil_dc_35

I read the newspaper yesterday where it says that the gas prices will be around $3.00 per gallon where I live. So what about all the people who are getting paid only mim wage?

$3.00 per gallon. A tank is say 12 gallons that is $36.00

Mim wage is $5.50 here. You would have to work almost 7 hours just to pay for 1 tank of gas. So if you have to fill the tank up 2 times a week that is 14 hours a week you have to work just to fill the tank up with gas.

So that is about $77.00 you are spending on gas per week. So then you add your car insurance, food, rent, ect a person with mim wage can no longer live under a roof.

Though I hear that Bio gas or what ever it is (made out of grain I believe) is going to become more well known so that we have a chance to get lower gas prices for everyone.

**Added**

Also no we do not have mass transportation where I live (no buses, ect). It is not even mim wage people who suffer but everyone else that is making low amount of money.

thate very cheap to fill a car up. Here in the UK it can cost over 50 to fill up the tank. Which is almost $100....
    Seeksadmin.com Owner: Providing Security, Administration and Optimization since 2001

Now Offering Windows Serivces.

don't worry, its estimated when iraq oil comes in the market the prices will go down dramatically. its just lucky that russia produces SO MUCH OIL else the prices would be even higher right now

check russia's oil production , its crazy, bigger than most asian countries... yet they have little oil! Trying to boost their economy in the short term ^^

Originally posted by Tris-SA
    thate very cheap to fill a car up. Here in the UK it can cost over 50 to fill up the tank. Which is almost $100....
    it depends what TYPE of pertol it is too lol some here are even MORE expensive... The damn tax

what car do you drive Torith?

Originally posted by Tris-SA
    How much is your mim wage in the UK? I know some countries over there are I believe $10.00 per hour?

Originally posted by Slidey
    what car do you drive Torith?
    I drive a Geo Metro as of right now. It is only a 6 gallon tank which gets between 30 to 50 miles per gallon (depending if in town or not). Though I am not so worried about my self (since I get paid way more then mim wage), but I am worried about my friends who are at mim wage.

THE GENERAL MIN WAGE in uk is about 5 which is about $8 i think! but still unacceptable petrol prices!

You earn about 45 per day, they take about 8 tax from you i think, so your left with about 37 per day, take all the other crazy taxes we pay in the uk, the high bill we pay for rent etc. doesn't leave you with much

I rent a flat with my girl friend and we pay 650 Per Month toagther for our 2 bedroom flat in Edinburgh...

when you come to the UK everything is about TAX ^^

seems to me quite often (and im not casting an opinion in your direction here) people who moan about fuel prices in america generally have great big fuel inefficient cars/trucks

Originally posted by Directory
    THE GENERAL MIN WAGE in uk is about 5 which is about $8 i think! but still unacceptable petrol prices!

You earn about 45 per day, they take about 8 tax from you i think, so your left with about 37 per day, take all the other crazy taxes we pay in the uk, the high bill we pay for rent etc. doesn't leave you with much

I rent a flat with my girl friend and we pay 650 Per Month toagther for our 2 bedroom flat in Edinburgh...

when you come to the UK everything is about TAX ^^
    we rent a one bedroom ground floor flat (although quite spacious) with a garage for about the same down south. no central bloody heating though..

people who moan about fuel prices in america generally have great big fuel inefficient cars/trucks
    That's because there's no such thing as a fuel-efficient car in the States.

Originally posted by Steve_F2H
    Hahaha, that is funny. Good joke. Nothing like a good laugh to start the day.
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

seems to me quite often (and im not casting an opinion in your direction here) people who moan about fuel prices in america generally have great big fuel inefficient cars/trucks
    Well I also have a 1990 (I believe it is that old or around that year) Nissan truck. Though since I live 15 miles out of town I do not think I would want to drive it. I believe my truck gets between 8 to 12 miles per gallon (Have not been in the truck since prices been going up).

Though it is 15 miles in town 15 miles to get back to home then about 5 to 10 miles driving in the city. That is between 35 miles to 45 miles per day. That is what I have to do 7 days a week so that is between 245 - 315 miles per week.

On average I fill my tank up 2 times a week. I would not even want to know how many times I would have to fill my truck up a week .

Originally posted by Steve_F2H
    What do you call my car? Though I have noticed the price far cars like mine have gone up in price so that is a good thing I guess.

Once they finish that hydrogen powered car technology, we won't care much about petroleum.
    TS-Host, A Tulip Company - Hosting since 1995! - AS7219
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Bargain Dedicated Servers and High performance Dedicated!
    http://www.ts-host.com/ -@- [email protected] -@- 1-800-977-TOWN

There are ways around the minimum wage problems. You can thin out the oil, so essentially it lasts less but brings the price down too. So for example, instead of getting 30 mpg on regular gas, for $3/gallon, you could use the thinning stuff (forgot the exact name) and pay $1.50/gallon for 15 mpg.

Regardless, alternate sources of energy are coming. I think Honda or someone was working on a hydro-electric-solar-petro powered car (yes 4 sources of energy). Probably cost a bit more, but we will no longer rely so heavily on oil.

don't worry, its estimated when iraq oil comes in the market the prices will go down dramatically. its just lucky that russia produces SO MUCH OIL else the prices would be even higher right now

check russia's oil production , its crazy, bigger than most asian countries... yet they have little oil! Trying to boost their economy in the short term ^^

it depends what TYPE of pertol it is too lol some here are even MORE expensive... The damn tax
    actually russia has some of the worlds largest proven oil reserves. the us just discovered more as well in the utah area and are about to open up the anwar area and offshore areas.

also - to toriths post - grain and other fuel sources are only viable at about 2.70 per gallon. so when they come online the oil market will be manipulated to go under them and try to trash threir invesment. that is why this country needs a real energy policy that will protect that as well as force new alternatives. I am only for government control when it makes sense and it does not. the us is irresponsible in energy consumption - just look at the tax breaks for businesses on cars - it was only if you buy something that is very big. so all these people went out and bought suv;s - that was dumb - but that is the behavior the gov drove. many would have bought economy cars if they would have tailored it that way.

oh well - I do not like the current energy policies and it is one thing that bush and congress better get moving on.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

one more thing - hydrogen is going to be a long time. its silly because there is no ubiquitous delivery system. they need to bget the ball rolling on electric hybrids and ethanol / grain based oil fuels that work with small efficient turbo diesels like in europe. then invest in our nuclear program to provide clean power through overnight car charging of hybrids. the load goes way down at night any way and this would help electric companies better utilize their resources.

this stuff is easy.. come on idiot bureucrats. someone is getting their pockets lined by big oil companies.

also - the delivery system for electricity and grain fuels is already there since it works in existing systems and fuel tanks as well as your home electric lines.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

Originally posted by sailor

this stuff is easy.. come on idiot bureucrats. someone is getting their pockets lined by big oil companies.

That is the only reason I figure why we do not have it yet.

Originally posted by JHosts
    There are ways around the minimum wage problems. You can thin out the oil, so essentially it lasts less but brings the price down too. So for example, instead of getting 30 mpg on regular gas, for $3/gallon, you could use the thinning stuff (forgot the exact name) and pay $1.50/gallon for 15 mpg.

Regardless, alternate sources of energy are coming. I think Honda or someone was working on a hydro-electric-solar-petro powered car (yes 4 sources of energy). Probably cost a bit more, but we will no longer rely so heavily on oil.
    Er....

$3/gallon at 30mpg is the same as $1.50/gallon at 15mpg. I fail to see the savings , its still $0.10/mile.

Ok, this is one thing I don't understand.

Most every other countries tax petrol, the prices per litre is costlier elsewhere.

US has one of the cheapest prices but yet I always read in the news that high oil prices is bad for the present adminstration.

No wonder, companies like GM, Ford, is losing out to Japanese motor companies with their fuel-efficient cars. Good for environment.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4310255.stm

Originally posted by JHosts
    It's too make it so that people with min wage jobs can finance things better.
    Are you serious?
    How would that help them?
    The only difference it would make is have them multiply everything times two. "Normally I would need five gallons. But since they started watering down the oil, I need twice as much. That's ten gallons".
    That's all they would do.
    Haven't been on WHT for 6 years!

Originally posted by jasong
    Are you serious?
    How would that help them?
    The only difference it would make is have them multiply everything times two. "Normally I would need five gallons. But since they started watering down the oil, I need twice as much. That's ten gallons".
    That's all they would do.

Not to mention the extra costs of engine repair when you start screwing around with the gas you are putting through it.

If i may, even if the Iraqi oil production is radically increased, many countries just don't hve the refining capacity to meet the demand, that will now forever be a problem for us.

Youv'e also got to take into account the massive growth areas in China and Africa, in both places there reamin a large percentage who either don'w own a car or sue it to its full extent. This will in turn require more oil and even further grown in the refining sector.

Prices may reduce for a time but sooner or later, they'll begin their upward trend and they might just stay that way.

Torith, what is somebody on the minimum wage to do? Get a higher paid job and just muddle through, convert to LPG, Bio Deisel or hybrid engine technology, or switch to public transport.

Something you American you should know, now don't worry, i'm not going to go on about how you ot get everything cheaper than most people ytet still moan about it.

Actually, mroe than your "holiday season" or the Summer, where you all get in your cars and SUV's and drive countless miles evidentally, well thatcould lead to a price rsie over here in Blightly too.

But if you really don't like it, why don't you make your feelings felt and act, that's what groups did here in Britian a few eyars back. See :: http://edition.cnn.com/2000/WORLD/eu...ritain.petrol/

Critic,
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

Critic that is the problem where I live it is very hard to get a higher paying job then mim wage unless you have other jobs to back it up. In fact managers at most jobs only get paid $7.00 per hour around here.

Also there is no public transport around here, but taxi company which we just got a couple years back. In which they charge an arm and leg.

Also you might pay more in UK but you also get more in mim wage compared to the US. Mim wage where I live is only $5.50 US Dollars.

Originally posted by Critic

Torith, what is somebody on the minimum wage to do? Get a higher paid job and just muddle through, convert to LPG, Bio Deisel or hybrid engine technology, or switch to public transport.

Something you American you should know, now don't worry, i'm not going to go on about how you ot get everything cheaper than most people ytet still moan about it.

Actually, mroe than your "holiday season" or the Summer, where you all get in your cars and SUV's and drive countless miles evidentally, well thatcould lead to a price rsie over here in Blightly too.

But if you really don't like it, why don't you make your feelings felt and act, that's what groups did here in Britian a few eyars back. See :: http://edition.cnn.com/2000/WORLD/eu...ritain.petrol/

Critic,

Public Transportation? Yeah, maybe if I lived in a City or a place that has such a thing. No thanks. Cities creep me out.

Driving all over? Maybe because things are pretty darned far apart here? Hmmm. To go to a Wal Mart, Home Depot etc... I could leave my house at 5:30am, and reach one by maybe 9am.....in my SUV too. See, I need a bigger vehicle so that I can make less frequent trips, and bring it back fully loaded.

I wonder how much fuel is wasted by people going to Football games all over Europe (public transportation burns fuel too... in some manner, and I have been there... they have parking lots full of cars too). Autobahn at high speeds burns more fuel. F1 racing.... I wonder what they go through in a day, + the fans, + the testing. Same can be said of NASCAR, etc... We ALL still consume a ton. As long as we are willing to do so, it will continue.... until the supply and price outmarkets the demand/willingness to pay.

Originally posted by vigor
    http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

Great read.
    <happy>

Yay. Its starting to catch on. :-)

</happy>

<sad>

Don't kid yourself, friends. Expect to hear a lot more of this news in the coming months. As many of you have correctly stated, gas prices in other parts of the world are much higher due to taxes and other charges that are added in. This has helped other countries fend off the level of extreme need for energy that the US has.

Iraqi oil will not be saving the day here. Ultimately, we are at or are nearing the peak. A little more Iraqi oil, which is roughly 10% of US imports (last time I checked) just does not have enough of an impact.

Hydrogen -- don't kid yourself. It's a long ---- long --- way off. (Besides, how are you supposed to store the crap, it's the simplest element in the Universe??)

TalkMilitary -- You're not going to like this one bit, but that SUV you are driving is speeding up the onslaught of communism.
    OMG!! WEBHOST RESOURCES!
    Webhost Resources
    Read about your company in the news
    Web Hosting Press Releases

Originally posted by danman

TalkMilitary -- You're not going to like this one bit, but that SUV you are driving is speeding up the onslaught of communism. [/B]
    Please prove how my 1990 Jeep is speeding up the "onslaught of communism".

I would REALLY enjoy that. Other than the fact that a German Company purchased Chrysler, I think you are way outta your league. You do know what Communism is no? Been there? Seen it? Or lived it? Curious. hahahahahahaha

Originally posted by Tulip-Dennis
    Once they finish that hydrogen powered car technology, we won't care much about petroleum.
    You think that it will actually be cheaper when that happens? Nah Exxon, BP, Shell etc wouldn't stand for that!
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management Search Engine Optimization Pay Per Click Email Marketing

Originally posted by TalkMilitary
    Please prove how my 1990 Jeep is speeding up the "onslaught of communism".

I would REALLY enjoy that. Other than the fact that a German Company purchased Chrysler, I think you are way outta your league. You do know what Communism is no? Been there? Seen it? Or lived it? Curious. hahahahahahaha
    Thanks for the laugh.

I had 1991 Jeep Cherokee back in the day, and I averaged about 17MPG. Compared to other gas guzzling beasts, the MPG is great. But if you compare to where our cars should be, you'll realize its way to low.

Once the oil crash hits full swing, we simply won't be able to maintain the socioeconomic structure that we currently have. Governments will fall, and communism, (not the crap you hear about in the news) will fill the void. It's not going to be utopia.
    OMG!! WEBHOST RESOURCES!
    Webhost Resources

Originally posted by danman
    Thanks for the laugh.

I had 1991 Jeep Cherokee back in the day, and I averaged about 17MPG. Compared to other gas guzzling beasts, the MPG is great. But if you compare to where our cars should be, you'll realize its way to low.

Once the oil crash hits full swing, we simply won't be able to maintain the socioeconomic structure that we currently have. Governments will fall, and communism, (not the crap you hear about in the news) will fill the void. It's not going to be utopia.
    That is fine, you can avoid my questions if you need to.

I use my Jeep, and pack it full when I use it.

The funny thing about these "Newly smart" ( I get grief when I say kiddies... the kiddies report my posts") people, is that I have been hearing this same junk for a few decades. The end is near.... yadda yadda. I remember in the early 70's, people running about saying all the oil will be gone in 10 years. It keeps repeating, everything somebody thinks they know it all... "the world is gonna end".

My opinion.. so what! You know the boy who cried wolf? You "experts" are having the same effect. Nobody (other than kids here that think they can make cars run on water/raine).

To truely know of what you speak, economics is a huge part. If you do not "get it", your ideas are just... "your ideas".

You wanna help? stop surfing the www. Do you know how much petroleum goes in to the www? Look at all of the plastics (cases, HHD parts, media, insulation, yadda, yadda, yadda). All petroleum based. Hypocrite comes to mind right about now.

People need to stop making hosting companies, lower server demand, so less petroleum goes into the industry.

It's amazing running out of oil will even affect the web hosting industry.
    --

I heard a very interesting interview today on npr with t. boone pickens and alan greenspan. they are basically saying that oil will reach its peak in 2010 meaning that we have used half the global supply and now we are on the downturn - they say we will never see 40$ oil again. in fact it will get worse and there will likely be wars and governments collapsing coming.

this is very bad and unless govs do something quickly to come up with alternatives and conservation - we will use the other half in the next 40 years.

that is a really f'd up legacy to leave our children.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

Public Transportation? Yeah, maybe if I lived in a City or a place that has such a thing. No thanks. Cities creep me out.

Driving all over? Maybe because things are pretty darned far apart here? Hmmm. To go to a Wal Mart, Home Depot etc... I could leave my house at 5:30am, and reach one by maybe 9am.....in my SUV too. See, I need a bigger vehicle so that I can make less frequent trips, and bring it back fully loaded.

I wonder how much fuel is wasted by people going to Football games all over Europe (public transportation burns fuel too... in some manner, and I have been there... they have parking lots full of cars too). Autobahn at high speeds burns more fuel. F1 racing.... I wonder what they go through in a day, + the fans, + the testing. Same can be said of NASCAR, etc... We ALL still consume a ton. As long as we are willing to do so, it will continue.... until the supply and price outmarkets the demand/willingness to pay.
    Public transport isn't for or possibly for evrybody, at least not on a regular basis, i can understand that. For personal travel, i am forced to use it.

My comment about the Summer holidays and Americans "driving all over", i think i need to expand on it jsut a little. The original sentence and typing was totally mangled so that might be a contributing factor .

The point was, in the Summer there is a rise in car use and long distacne travel at that, i heard an anaylyst say only lat week that this year itwill be a factor in price levels here in Britain.

And your last paragrapoh, what's your point exactly?? That we use petrol too, i didn't need to be told that one.

Oh and in response to a statement you made about Oil reserves to another WHTer. Yes there is oil that remains and no it won't run out in a decade. But costs will rise and other facotrs like the environment will be taken into account, so i think that over time we will introduce the "end"...all by ourselves, at least for the general motorist. In a way, similar to the change over time in which we heat our homes, they'll still be cars, just greener fuels and mroe efficient engines.

Critic,
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

When adjusted for inflation, gas prices today are a bargain...

Fact: Our national average gas price in 1950 was 25 cents a gallon. YES! That's a fact - four gallons for a dollar! Amazing isn't it? Do you really think that's cheap? Well, do you know that at today's dollar value, that 25 cents equates to approximately $1.93?

That's a calculation for inflation from 1950 to 2004.

Consumer Price Index (CPI) Inflation Calculator

Originally posted by tekky60
    When adjusted for inflation, gas prices today are a bargain...

Fact: Our national average gas price in 1950 was 25 cents a gallon. YES! That's a fact - four gallons for a dollar! Amazing isn't it? Do you really think that's cheap? Well, do you know that at today's dollar value, that 25 cents equates to approximately $1.93?

That's a calculation for inflation from 1950 to 2004.

Consumer Price Index (CPI) Inflation Calculator

So today gas prices are well over $2.
    I don't see how that is a bargain.

Originally posted by blue27
    You should quite seriously read that article, take it with a shaker of salt if you want. While I cant personally validate the numbers, the points (facts nowdays) are all there and pretty accurate from what I can see. Bottom line, production peaked over a decade ago, demand is still on the rise. Once supply is overlapped by demand, prices increase exponentially until "what the market can bear", no longer includes the original market (if gas was $20/gallon, it wouldn't be the same "market" persay as the current $2/gallon, because none of the previous users could really afford it).

Its a pretty grim and scary article, and unfortunatly, its signifigantly more likely then not, that we're all going to have to suffer through it. Kinda like getting your wisdom teeth out, you know its almost certain to come, you just dont know when.

Originally posted by blue27
    I knew that somebody would point that out. But, consider that gas prices are fluctuating on a weekly, almost daily basis. I will be a while before prices stabilize.

But, LOOK!!!!! at the following table (in the link) and see a big reason as to why the price of gas in the U.S. is not much lower than $2.00 per gallon. THEN, you have to consider that in 1950, taxes were nowhere near what they are today. So, if you were to still have the same tax rates of the 1950s, gas prices would be much lower than $2.00 per gallon!!!!

Gasoline Tax Rates by State

At the same time, take special note of the fact that The Federal Gas Tax is 18.4 cpg. That's in addition to the state tax!!!!!

Torith: take special note of the gas tax in Montana. That's 27.75 (state) + 18.4 (federal) or more than 46 cents per gallon!!!!

Another Note: the federal gas tax from 1950 to 1980 was just 4 cents per gallon!!!!
    Last edited by tekky60; 06-24-2005 at 09:26 PM.

Gas at $2+ a gallon would be a bargain. Normal price in my part od the USA is close to, or above $3 per gallon. And no free socialist medical care either. No Govt pot, no Govt supplied heroin either. Hmmm
    Originally posted by tekky60
    I knew that somebody would point that out. But, consider that gas prices are fluctuating on a weekly, almost daily basis. I will be a while before prices stabilize.

But, LOOK!!!!! at the following table (in the link) and see a big reason as to why the price of gas in the U.S. is not much lower than $2.00 per gallon. THEN, you have to consider that in 1950, taxes were nowhere near what they are today. So, if you were to still have the same tax rates of the 1950s, gas prices would be much lower than $2.00 per gallon!!!!

Gasoline Tax Rates by State

At the same time, take special note of the fact that The Federal Gas Tax is 18.4 cpg. That's in addition to the state tax!!!!!

Torith: take special note of the gas tax in Montana. That's 27.75 (state) + 18.4 (federal) or more than 46 cents per gallon!!!!

Another Note: the federal gas tax from 1950 to 1980 was just 4 cents per gallon!!!!

That is fine, you can avoid my questions if you need to.

I use my Jeep, and pack it full when I use it.

The funny thing about these "Newly smart" ( I get grief when I say kiddies... the kiddies report my posts") people, is that I have been hearing this same junk for a few decades. The end is near.... yadda yadda. I remember in the early 70's, people running about saying all the oil will be gone in 10 years. It keeps repeating, everything somebody thinks they know it all... "the world is gonna end".

My opinion.. so what! You know the boy who cried wolf? You "experts" are having the same effect. Nobody (other than kids here that think they can make cars run on water/raine).

To truely know of what you speak, economics is a huge part. If you do not "get it", your ideas are just... "your ideas".

You wanna help? stop surfing the www. Do you know how much petroleum goes in to the www? Look at all of the plastics (cases, HHD parts, media, insulation, yadda, yadda, yadda). All petroleum based. Hypocrite comes to mind right about now.
    Without creating an all out flame-war, I will say this:

I think your logic is fundamentally flawed. Us "kiddies" are the driving force of change in society.

Let's put your logic into perspective:
    Don't those "kiddies" who think black people should be treated equal are a bunch of leftist bastards? What about those ******* "kids" who think our women should be able to work? And don't even bring up those jerks who are trying to stop good ol' street justice.

I'm not seriously comparing you to this -- but I am comparing your logic to it. America is starting to wake up and realize that what we are doing is wrong, as we always seem to do. The status quo, as wonderful as it is, can not be maintained for much longer.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that computers are not saving energy. In fact, if you read my posts in the "10 Years" thread, I specifically mentioned that I do not think we will be able to maintain the web hosting industry like we currently are. The average computer consumes twice its weight in resources during production!

You also seemed to have missed one important point about all of my posts. You will never hear me talking about "cars that can run on rain." In fact, I'm one of the biggest pessimists when it comes to the impending energy crisis. I can say with near certainty that we are heading down some seriously bumpy roads. Why? THERE IS NOTHING LIKE OIL!

Oil at $10 a gallon is BARGAIN. People don't seem to understand how incredibly efficient and lightweight oil is. Its transportable, its easily harnessed, its very dense, and it has an EROI of nearly 30. (A 3,000% gain!)

I see the only hope in our world to be solar power. But if we are to utilize Solar power, it will need to be radically different then how we are currently doing it.
    OMG!! WEBHOST RESOURCES!
    Webhost Resources

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast