Backupd killing my VPS

I've got a HUGE problem.....My VPS backups ( hosts backups) running throughout the night in The USA are killing my VPS at a time when people are browsing here in New Zealand......to the point where nothing works for a while....my loads shoot up....

What to do....I'm launching a community Website and I'll be busy in the NZ evenings....when the backup kills me. A few moments ago yy load average showed: 4.69, 6.01, 3.59

Any suggestions...I dont want to have to leave my host when everything else is great.

Have you spoken to the host to see if they can move you onto another server or similar?

rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

You should be able to change what time it is run. cPanel does this as a cron job and it's as simple as changing

0 1 * * *

on the cpbackup line to

0 13 * * *

for other panels, ask your provider. If that's still not an option, maybe look into rsync'ing from a remote server?
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs
    Powered By JAM - Professional Website Development - PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, AJAX - Projects Small & Large

Yup....seems they are scheduled to run between Midnight & 7am Eastern Time..... thats between 4 & 11 pm my time... hardly ideal.

I suppose most clients are US based.....

I'll continue to negotiate . Thanks for your reply.

Originally posted by The West Win
    Yup....seems they are scheduled to run between Midnight & 7am Eastern Time..... thats between 4 & 11 pm my time... hardly ideal.

I suppose most clients are US based.....

I'll continue to negotiate . Thanks for your reply.
    Of course Should be relatively simple to switch what time they run... though maybe not. I've only delt with cPanel thus far.
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs
    Powered By JAM - Professional Website Development - PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, AJAX - Projects Small & Large

No matter what control panel you run or whether you have a control panel, it should be easy and fast to change the backup scheduling, takes 30 seconds max.

Check if your VPS account comes with support.
    If it does, ask your provider to change it.
    If not, go to Rus , who posted the second reply.
    You sound like someone who can benefit from a managed service.
    What you can do with Cpanel ------------------> |||||
    What you can do with Cpanel XP+CpanelAPP -------> ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Your competitors are cashing in with Cpanel XP & CpanelAPP, are you?

The backups I refer to are NOT CPanel backups...I have no control over these. They are an automated bespoke backup run across many servers. The time these are done suits US clients. It does not suit me in NZ.

There are NO crons controlling this and my provider, while sympatetic to my plight cannot offer a solution.

Check at what times your load is the lowest and get the backup at that time

Did you even read his post?

Originally posted by xxlburger
    Check at what times your load is the lowest and get the backup at that time
    What you can do with Cpanel XP+CpanelAPP -------> ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

You will either have to live it or find someone who would not have the same problems.

Originally posted by u2mike
    You will either have to live it or find someone who would not have the same problems.
    True.
    Have a question?

Possible not backup related after all. Looks like it might be another VPS user on same node hogging for awhile. Provider has switched me to another server so will see how that goes.

Well VPS accounts are partitioned so you shouldnt be affected by activities on other VPSes, unless your provider is being stingy about your minimum allocated resources.
    I mean you cant expect/do much with a guaranteed 96Mhz/32MB RAM account.

Originally posted by The West Win
    Possible not backup related after all. Looks like it might be another VPS user on same node hogging for awhile. Provider has switched me to another server so will see how that goes.