Question Looking for some advice with my first paid web development job

well ive finaly taken the plunge and decided to activly start promoting myself as a freelance web developer, and i got my first job! Its for a local bridal shop that wants to take there buisness online and international with an ecommerce site. that is the easy part for me. now i need to find them a hosting company which for me has been not so easy so far.

i was thinking that a managed dedicated linux server or a VPS would be best (leaning more tords dedicated), that way to start off the database and webserver could be run on one machine. then as time goes by and the site begins to create more traffic, the database could be moved to a 2nd machine. but with so many choices out there its hard to narrow in on a few choices to present my client with.

so i bring the question to those who have done this sort of thing before. one of my main concerns (asside from price) is support. Anyplace that cant replace broken equipment within a few hours is of no intrest to me. ive been looking into rackspace a lot lately but i would also like to check out some other companies that may offer similar support and services. if anyone could point me in the direction of a few id really appreciate it.

im also looking for the same type of info when it comes to credit card proccesing and SSL Certs(other than verisign).

Thanks

If you are looking for fast hardware replacement and ssl certificate. I personally like 1&1 internet LTD.

The have a wide range of hosting plan inlcuding linux dedicated and windows dedicated.

check ev1servers.com you can find more dedicated plans.

Why are you looking for a dedicated server for this?
    Zeeder - Big Bandwidth Hosting!
    Great Hosting. Better People. Switch Today!
    Visit Zeeder

Originally posted by Zeeder
    Why are you looking for a dedicated server for this?
    I am kind of wondering the same thing. It is great to think big but a dedicated server for one local bridal shop starting off is going to be wasting your clients money. Even with heavy promotion it will take some time for the site to take off so why not simply grow into the dedicated server. Go with a good shared account or VPS and save your client hundreds of $$ per month until they need to spend it.

If you are looking for a good quality dedicated server company you might look at RackSpace (fully managed) FastServers (fully managed).

Robert
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

so you think a good VPS will have the power and bandwidth to run apache, mysql, and possibly also handle mail? ive never had a high traffic site im not sure what to expect in terms of bandwidth use in a month or how fast a database could grow. i really just want something thats gona be easy to use and manage for my client once the project is done. and with a company that wont lock them into a contract.

ive been looking at the VPS plans offered at liquidweb, does anyone use those?

so you think a good VPS will have the power and bandwidth to run apache, mysql, and possibly also handle mail?
    Unless the application you're developing has some special needs, is resource intense, or you expect a lot of traffic right away, a VPS should have enough power to do all that.

Is there some component of your application that prevents you from using a shared account?

John
    SolidState - Open Source Billing Solution for Web Hosts

exactly unless you need something special a normal shared account or VPS should be perfect. We have several clients running multiple DB's on shared accounts that see some pretty high traffic and have not seen any load issues.

Not only will you save your client money and look like a hero it is so easy to move from one host to another when the time comes to upgrade to a dedicated if you ever need to.

Robert
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Congratulations on your first paid web development job. Believe me, the first paid web dev project I had felt really good too. I suggest putting a portfolio site together with work that you have done for people.

Second, with regards to your questions, I don't think you will need anything beyond a shared account, and that is honest. Dedicated servers can be expensive, and as many around here know, managed services require attention.

You will need to be taking in a ton of traffic (which is unlikely to start, not without some ingenius and clever search engine optimization and a lot of money invested into marketing) to justify a dedicated server rigt away.

Good luck with your endeavors and congratulations again on your first paid development job.
    Small Business Web Hosting with DOT45
    24/7/365 Technical Support; Windows Shared Environment; ColdFusion MX, ASP.NET, PHP, MS SQL, MySQL, Online Store Software, SiteBuilder, Secure Webmail via IlohaMail