Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    Photos arriving in e-mail

    My daughter has some photos that were sent via e-mail. She can view them from her e-mail but when she attemps to save them to the hard drive under "My Pictures", the photos are saved but, the photo programs will not recognize the "jpg" format. I asked her to send me a copy of the e-mail and I can open the photos and save them to disk with no problems.

    She tried to open with MS Photo editor and Irfanview and both of them say that they don't recognize the extension. On my computer the extension is Ok.

    Would anybody know of a reason that that happens? I don't have the time to go investigate the problem on her computer, so any quick hints would be appreciated.

    The photos were originally taken with a digital camera.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    2,454
    Taking she has WindowsXP (by the My Pictures), you can easily do this.

    Right click on a picture
    Open with - choose program
    Choose Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
    And Select Always use this program

    Then press okay, and it should open successfully and always open now
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    1,671
    She should open IrfanView, and check that all extensions are associated with the software.

    If that doesn't work, opening the file association setting in windows explorer should do the trick.

    edit: Tyler, just by 1 minute, just by one
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

  4. #4
    Originally posted by Tyler
    Taking she has WindowsXP (by the My Pictures), you can easily do this.

    Right click on a picture
    Open with - choose program
    Choose Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
    And Select Always use this program

    Then press okay, and it should open successfully and always open now
    I knew how to do that and we tried it and no go.

    I believe the problem may be happening during the transfer from her e-mail to the hard-drive. She uses MSN e-mail, but I can't think of a reason that that would be the problem.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    2,454
    Originally posted by tekky60
    I knew how to do that and we tried it and no go.

    I believe the problem may be happening during the transfer from her e-mail to the hard-drive. She uses MSN e-mail, but I can't think of a reason that that would be the problem.
    Is she by any chance using dialup? If she is it is quite possible that it is timing out and resulting in corruption. Have you had a chance to compare the file sizes?
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

  6. #6
    Originally posted by Tyler
    Is she by any chance using dialup? If she is it is quite possible that it is timing out and resulting in corruption. Have you had a chance to compare the file sizes?
    She has broadband from road-runner. Besides, she's had the e-mail save for a while.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    2,454
    Originally posted by tekky60
    She has broadband from road-runner. Besides, she's had the e-mail save for a while.
    Are the files large? If they are there is still a chance that it is corrupt from uploading. What email client is she using to send? What happens when you try and open it with Windows default? If that fails, there is something wrong with the image.
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

  8. #8
    Originally posted by Tyler
    Are the files large? If they are there is still a chance that it is corrupt from uploading. What email client is she using to send? What happens when you try and open it with Windows default? If that fails, there is something wrong with the image.
    Actually, the pictures are some that she took with my camera. She requested that I send her the pictures via e-mail. I sent them with Yahoo e-mail and Hotmail at another time. She can save them to "MY Pictures" from either type of e-mail server, but she gets the 'unrecognized extension' message when she tries to open them for viewing.

    I tied to change the 'default' viewer to MS photo editor, Irfanview and 'MS photo and fax viewer' and none of that worked.

    The photos are large, but I sent them to my wife at work and she is able to open them and is even using some of them as wallpaper.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    3,262
    Have her try naming them with quotes in the save as box.

    "pic1.jpg"

    "pic2.jpg"

    See if that will work by forcing the extension.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cardiff, UK
    Posts
    375
    are you sure there is not a secondary extension a la 3.jpg.zip. check throuh 'hide known extensions'
    Peter Hall
    Tera Web Hosting
    UK Web Hosting and Backup Storage

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,693
    I've had the same problem at times. I just rename the pic to whatever.jpg - manually adding the .jpg to the file name, and then it's fine. For some reason the extension will just disappear or something when downloaded, no idea why. But just adding the extension back on by renaming it works for me anyway.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •