Exclamation GB Weather :: Party's over, flash floods, thunderstorms, hail e.t.c...all on the way.

Article extract >>

Sizzling Britain is about to become engulfed in flash floods, torrential rain, tornadoes, thunderstorms and hail the size of golf balls.

According to forecasters, the heatwave enjoyed by most of the country for almost a week is about to come to an abrupt halt.

They say black storm clouds could bring mayhem to parts of Britain as tennis fans flock to Wimbledon and thousands make the annual pilgrimage to the Glastonbury music festival.

Forecaster Paul Knightly said: "This is a fairly potent situation developing. Storms should start moving into south-western and some southern parts of England and Wales overnight tonight.

"Through tomorrow, Wales and north-western England are likely to have some prolonged outbreaks of rain, with thunderstorms from time to time.

"These may produce torrential downpours leading to local flash flooding."

He added: "Winds in the upper atmosphere will be fairly strong, and this will promote the development of some severe thunderstorms.

"These may bring hailstones up to the size of golf balls, wind gusts up to 65 mph, extremely heavy rainfall leading to local flash flooding, and possibly isolated tornadoes.

"People should remember that with any thunderstorm, the main threat is cloud to ground lightning, and tomorrow's storms are likely to be very electrically active."

His advice: "If a storm approaches, try to get indoors quickly, and do not stand under trees."

Motorists are urged not to drive on flooded highways as less than two feet of fast moving water can wash away a car.

A brief respite is expected when the sun returns on Sunday and Monday but the bad weather will be back later week.

End extract <<

For image :: http://static.sky.com/images/pictures/1155996.jpg

Now i quite like the thunderstorms, to watch and listen to i mean. However tornadoes? flash floods? hail the size of golf aballs? We can do without all that.

Back to normal you might say. With tat and sunny spells, i think we've got pretty much everything covered.

Opinions?? Comments??

Critic,
    Last edited by Critic; 06-23-2005 at 04:37 PM.
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

Yepp everyones talking about that still hot yet, I suppose we need it to top up the reserviors ive enjoyed the hot weather.

Well i live in England and in the South .. unlucky for me really. I have really been enjoying playing tennis and watching Wimbledon undisrupted by bad weather. It's been a great week but 'hey! It's England time for rain!' That's one of things England is most famous for rain.
    http://www.viperhosting.net
    ViperHosting 2005. The new generation "Excellence doesn't have to be expensive"

Originally posted by rackley
    Well i live in England and in the South .. unlucky for me really. I have really been enjoying playing tennis and watching Wimbledon undisrupted by bad weather. It's been a great week but 'hey! It's England time for rain!' That's one of things England is most famous for rain.
    Sure is its funny how people complain about cold weather then complain about the hot weather mee included

I actually want something new to happen because this heatwave is really pissing me off. At the moment I am in my room and it is 27 degrees at 11 at night not nice at all, it is also extreamly humid too so that just makes it worse.
    My Blog - www.Bakie.net
    My Entertainment site - www.SpudMud.com

Originally posted by Bakie
    I actually want something new to happen because this heatwave is really pissing me off. At the moment I am in my room and it is 27 degrees at 11 at night not nice at all, it is also extreamly humid too so that just makes it worse.
    True i suppose we could do with it cooling down nearly midnight and its chilly outside now so thats a bit better.

Originally posted by Bakie
    Scientists say that it is the humidity which helps to create the unique type of weathe we have in the Britain and the wider British Isles i expect. Youv'e probably heard people say that the "heat" here is totally differnt to that abroad. And here, tempertures of 0-8 degrees celsius will feel far colder than much lower tempertures on continental Europe for instance.

Isn't it grat to be special.

Global warming might well change the climate and future generations won't recognise such conditons nor descriptions from people like you and me, but we lived it like countless generations before us, and in that true British trait, love to talk about the weather.

Oh and by the way, here in North London, no sign of any terribly bad weather as yet, it's still warm and muggy [good storm conditions], although they did say that it would hit counties in the South West first i believe.

thanks

Critic,
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

Well, here in the midlands it has been throwing it down with rain all morning with intermitent thunderstorms. I was woken this morning at 7.30 by a huge thunderclap. It is still v. humid and warm. Not particularly pleasant, but at least no tornados so far.
    Peter Hall
    Tera Web Hosting
    UK Web Hosting and Backup Storage

It can throw as much as it wants, just as long as it stops in time for my week long holiday to the Isle Of Wight in 8 days.
    - Jamie Harrop

Bring it on!

Originally posted by rackley
    ever been to scotland?

england's rain and weather is nothing as bad as what we get in scotland... my skin is so white because its not been in contact with the sun for AGES

the scottish weather is probably in the top 5 world'd most unreliable weather, one min its (ABIT SUNNY) next its pouring with rain. Virtually everyone has a runny nose all year around...

i am praying this year we get some sun else i for one am certainly thinking of moving south

the worst of the weather has just gone past reading and is probably hitting slough now. you'll be next london !

Sitting here in Cambridge and the temperature's dropped drastically, and the skies are darkening.

Not long now.....

Originally posted by Slidey
    the worst of the weather has just gone past reading and is probably hitting slough now. you'll be next london !
    ive had thunder since 8 am, and a wee bit of rain, im just north of oxford (banbury), what sort of weather have you just had slidey?

was nice today (we're in winnersh) upto about 10 when it started clouding over. had thunder/lightening about an hour ago but its started to brighten up now. still raining though

had thunder in leicester since about 7:30, hell it made my dog run away,

now its pretty sunny and stopped raining, but for how long

Believe it or not in Lancashire there has not been much rain all day its been dull nad always looked like it was going to rain and it never did.

some nice pics of the storms:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/h...005/html/1.stm

and there was even a tornado in coventry in the midlands:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/c...re/4619225.stm

im in the west midlands and its been thundering and hailing here all day on and off
    http://www.goodridgeelec.com
    Electrical Contractors, West Midlands, UK

Didn't get any storms here in West Yorkshire. We had a little rain, but nothing too much.
    - Jamie Harrop

Blimey! I was sat in an office in coventry all day yesterday and missed the tornado. That would have been cool to see.
    Peter Hall
    Tera Web Hosting
    UK Web Hosting and Backup Storage