Thread: NAS and RAID

NAS and RAID

Hello all

So I'm looking at purchasing a NAS with RAID solution. I've been searching and finding quite a few solutions, but picking what is best for me is what I'm getting confused about.

A secondary problem is choosing between RAID 1, and RAID 5. I think RAID 1 is the way to go despite the extra "cost" for space, since the data will even be more secure at the one location, plus the offsite backups. Any ideas?

So the NAS solutions I've seen are:
    Buffalo Tech Terabyte Network Attached Storage its $999, but doesn't do NFS and isn't in rack form factor.

Then there is the AMAX iNAS 104HS 4bay SATA NAS, which is 1U, has diskless booting, and is ~$2k for same amount of space as above
    [1TB with no raid]

Are there any other options that I should consider? Future upgradeability and stability is very important.

The Amax is pretty cheap for a NAS. I normally user the Dell PowerVault 775 Storage Server 2003 for Windows NAS and light Unix via SFU. I also like running the PowerEgde 1850 as a NFS for the Unix/Linux end of things when I need a solution for most linux/unix and then use gateway for NFS for windows.

the NetApps are pretty sweet also, big price tag though. I run my NAS with RAID 5 on the storage and RAID 1 on the OS. RAID 5 gives better performance over RAID 1. I also prefer to be able to expand my RAID 5 by adding HDs. I also like to use LVM on a linux system to be able to expand partitions on the Raid set

Are you going to be using this for both Windows and Unix/Linux or mostly Windows or Linux. If this is more of a linux/Unix solution then I would just use NFS, and then use NFS gateway on a separate machine for Windows.

raid 5 is giving you better performance on a NAS device then raid 1?? How many HD's are in your raid 5?

Houston, TX
    Have you checked into any Coraid solutions? It's pretty cool stuff at a rather affordable price when comparing to iSCSI or Fiber. They use a technology called AoE, which is ATA commands over Ethernet. I won't get into it all, but you could check it out and see what you think.