effective WHT advertising & promotions

For those who have had effective ads in the WHT advertising section, can you give some advice to newcomers?

What types of promotions have been efective, what stong points of your ads to WHT readers seem to be drawn to?

I have places a couple of ads, and have not had a single email from anybody. Does anybody want to critique my current ad? http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=416792
    While your at it, please let me know what you think of my website - http://www.bluedotlabs.com.

Please note, this post is not to advertise my other ad or website, but to get some feedback from fellow hosting companies.
    J. Michael Katip • mike [at] BlueDotLabs [dot] com • www.BlueDotLabs.com
    FREE ClientExec Billing Software • FREE Design Templates
    Discounted GeoTrust SSL Certifcates (FREE Installation)
    25% OFF ALL STANDARD & RESELLER HOSTING PLANS COUPON CODE: "WHT25OFF"

I think your ad is veeeery long!
    If you look at any other ad, they just put up the most important info, that is the special promos, etc.

Try to make it shorter.

One more thing, it doesnt mean that you will get new clients, its not like that. You have to find a way to enter the competitive market here & be popular before anybody at WHY will trust you, Keep this in mind.

Please don't take my post at critisizm, you aksed for advices, I have given mine.
    •••AESERVER UAE Hosting & Domains [www.aeserver.com]•••
    United Arab Emirates' Premier Webhosting & Domain Name Registrar.
    •••ae Domain Administration (aeDA.ae) accredited registrar | Register your .ae today!•••

I'm assuming you have a Hyperthreaded server in which case your advertisement is quite misleading.

1) "Memory: 1,000 MB" is a double turnoff, first because it shows technical ignorance and second because for a dual Xeon with HT it's a laughstock.

2) PHP 4.3.9 is ages old and has several exploits.

3) Your prices are much too low to awaken any confidence, it looks like gross overselling.

4) I clicked through to the website and to put it mildly, it's strange... and usability is very low.

Don't take it the wrong way, I put down all this criticism because you were specifically asking for what's wrong...

Originally posted by aeserver
    I think your ad is veeeery long!
    If you look at any other ad, they just put up the most important info, that is the special promos, etc.

Try to make it shorter.
    I was actually thinking the same thing myself. At first I thought it would be good toprovide more information, but after taking a second look I probably wouldn't read something that long either. Apparently there is a time limit on editing your posts, so I was unable to change the length. But hey....now I know for next time.

Originally posted by Karthick
    I'm assuming you have a Hyperthreaded server in which case your advertisement is quite misleading.
    I stated nothing but the actual information about the system. Why would you assume Hyperthreading? How is your assumption misleading?

http://www.bluedotlabs.com/images/cpu.jpg

http://www.bluedotlabs.com/images/cpu.jpg - Two of those could easily be virtual CPUs and they MOST LIKELY are.

Thanks,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Originally posted by RambOrc
    1) "Memory: 1,000 MB" is a double turnoff, first because it shows technical ignorance and second because for a dual Xeon with HT it's a laughstock.
    Can you explain the technical ignorance comment? Sure I could give a more exact number like 1021688k. Or was the ignorance because 1GB of ram is not enough for a decent web server?

Once again, check out the pic in my previous post - it is a QUAD XEON Machine, not dual.

2) PHP 4.3.9 is ages old and has several exploits.
    The current version on the server is actually 4.3.11, I apparantly need to update the information listed on my site as well. Which is probably a good reason just to list the installed software and not the specefic versions in an ad.

3) Your prices are much too low to awaken any confidence, it looks like gross overselling.
    Thanks for pointing that out. Its hard to find the line btwn affordable and apparant gross overselling. With the low cost of hard drives these days though, it is very easy to toss in a new hard drive when needed, making mild oveselling practical.

4) I clicked through to the website and to put it mildly, it's strange... and usability is very low.
    What exactly did you find strange, and unusable? I find most web hosting sites look very similar, I was trying to look different but not strange. I'm sure if you thought that, others might as well.

Don't take it the wrong way, I put down all this criticism because you were specifically asking for what's wrong... [/B]
    No worries, and thanks to all those gave input. I can't inprove anything if I don't know what to work on.

Well actually 1 GB RAM is 1024 MB, not 1000.

As for the 4 CPUs in WHM (I guess that's where you got it), it displays a HT CPU as two CPUs (which is dead wrong basically since HT's performance boost is something like 30%). If you pay anything less than $500 (make it rather $1000) monthly if it's a dedicated or if you paid for it less than $5000 (and steeply upwards) if you bought it for colo, then I can guarantee you it's not a quad Xeon. Quad Xeon systems cost way more than double the price of a Dual Xeon system.

[B]Well actually 1 GB RAM is 1024 MB, not 1000.
    I know that, but most consumers don't. I was just giving them a round number.

Hmm, ive never saw a REAL quad xeon in WHM, but i think it would show 8 CPU's (because dual Xeons show 4 - 2 have HT and the other 2 are physical).

Ive used dual xeon servers before and i saw the same thing.

IMO 1GB Ram sounds better then 1000mb (the correct term is 1024 though).

- Eddy
    Tired of jumping web hosting providers? Tired of OVERSELLING? Tired of Poor service/quality?
    Are you Finally realizing You Get What You Pay For In Life?
    If So...Please Visit ***** eServicesUnlimited***** - We Guarantee 100% Satisfaction we promise that!

My guess a dual with HT

Perhaps I was showing my ignorance when I had my specs posted.
    Until now, I was unaware that WHM would show a hyperthreaded server as two. I did just confirm with my host (FatNetwork) the sever is indeed dual w/ hyperthreading. I can't beleive that they would market it as having 4 actual CPUs.

The reason I was under the impression that my server actually has four processors is because I was actually told so. The following was taken from the FatNetwork site:

"Your reseller account will be placed on a server with the following minimum specifications: QUAD (4 Processor) XEON @ 2.4GHz"

I have a 3Ghz P4 w/ hyperthreading in my machine at home, apparently I should be telling my friends I'm running a dual processor machine when I'm not.

When I asked about this I was told "We use 2 xeon processors with hyperthreading on all our reseller boxes. The hyperthreading makes the system run as though there were 4 cpus."

When confronted on how misleading this is, and after informing them that I now had to update my site and advertising because claiming to have four processors is just wrong, I was told the following.

"Not a problem, however, it is widely known in the industry as "quad-xeon" becuase of the hyperthreading."

Frankly that sounds like an excuse for false advertising if you ask me. This has been the first problem I have had with FatNetwork, but it is seriously making me reconsider sticking with them. The service and support has been excellant, but I'm not sure I want to support somebody who is that misleading.

Would I be wrong to switch to another host and then ask for my money back because I was not receiving what I paid for?

BTW - I have just submitted a request to have my post in the ad section deleted, and I have updated my site so that I am not equally misleading.

Originally posted by Blue Dot Labs
    "Not a problem, however, it is widely known in the industry as "quad-xeon" becuase of the hyperthreading."

Frankly that sounds like an excuse for false advertising if you ask me. This has been the first problem I have had with FatNetwork, but it is seriously making me reconsider sticking with them. The service and support has been excellant, but I'm not sure I want to support somebody who is that misleading.
    That's a blatant lie. Dual Xeons with Hyperthreading are NOT known as Quad Xeon.

You have been tricked and mislead. You should do more research and try and choose a more ethical providor next time.

(which is dead wrong basically since HT's performance boost is something like 30%)
    I don't think so. Actually I don't think it would be any more than 5%, if that.

Quad Xeon systems cost way more than double the price of a Dual Xeon system.
    You're looking at about $15,000 for a Quad Xeon system since you need Xeon MP, so it's much more than double the cost.

I don't think so. Actually I don't think it would be any more than 5%, if that.
    I meant the upper limit, since there is no point talking about a minimum performance increase because it's with all such technology 0% (under specific circumstances, even a real dual or quad CPU system may be exactly as slow as a single CPU system).

You're looking at about $15,000 for a Quad Xeon system since you need Xeon MP, so it's much more than double the cost.
    You mean "much more than double" is a bigger number than "way more than double", hence your correction?

BTW as an aside information, you don't need Xeon MPs to build a quad (or even bigger) system, several companies have developed systems years ago that use special boards to hook up several dual boards into a bigger whole. IBM e.g. has a server line that allows you to build a server with up to 32 CPUs using Xeon DPs (and yes you can configure it the way that any OS will see the whole conglomerate as a single computer).

I meant the upper limit, since there is no point talking about a minimum performance increase because it's with all such technology 0% (under specific circumstances, even a real dual or quad CPU system may be exactly as slow as a single CPU system).

You mean "much more than double" is a bigger number than "way more than double", hence your correction?

BTW as an aside information, you don't need Xeon MPs to build a quad (or even bigger) system, several companies have developed systems years ago that use special boards to hook up several dual boards into a bigger whole. IBM e.g. has a server line that allows you to build a server with up to 32 CPUs using Xeon DPs (and yes you can configure it the way that any OS will see the whole conglomerate as a single computer).
    Even maximum performance lift is not as much as 30%. I missed the "way" obviously.

http://www.2cpu.com/articles/41_4.html

Linux 2.6 and Hyper-Threading - Static HTML and MySQL

"Enabling HT on this machine results in a 29% increase in requests per second."

http://www.2cpu.com/articles/41_4.html

Linux 2.6 and Hyper-Threading - Static HTML and MySQL

"Enabling HT on this machine results in a 29% increase in requests per second."
    My judgement is from my own first hand experience.

this thread was intended to discuss effective wht advertising, and although I do like where the discussion is going, it does appear to be somewhat off topic....so I have created a new discussion for the cpu related talk "Quad Xeon Servers ( AKA Dual Xeons with Hyperthreading )" - http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=418499

Hopefully the correct title on that thread will lead to better exposure....and perhaps this topic will either return to the topic of advertising, or just get lost in the shuffle....

Thanks to everybody who gave me input on my site, and even more thanks to the cpu discussion. My eyes have really been opened and I really want to look into this further and get back to my host on the subject, but I think the new thread is a better place to discuss cpu matters.