Thread: Godaddy SUCKS

Godaddy SUCKS

Godaddy.com does SUCK. I've been using them for a few years without incident. Then earlier this week they shut off my main site's domain just like that, without ANY notice. When I inquired about it I was told the whois info was invalid because in the registrant name field I had used an initial in my last name.

So, I updated the info and waited. Nothing. I was out of town and so the next day when it still wasn't fixed I called again. I was told that they tried to "verify" my phone number but couldn't because they got a voice mail message. Well HELLO? They never told me about wanting to verify my phone number too. No email was sent to me either, just a voice mail. What's next? They gonna send me a letter and make me return it to verify my postal address too?

So... after all is said and done, 3 days had passed by. Those godaddy CLOWNS basically put me out of business for 3 whole days, all WITHOUT notice.

I'm done with these idiots.

What other domain name registrars have you all had good experiences with? I browsed this forum and saw some recommendations for Namecheap. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

this isn't a first, many ppl had the same issue happening

also as per icann rules tehy should give you a notice first
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Wow I didn't know others have had similar experiences with godaddy. I'm definitely moving out of that joint and telling everyone I know to stay away.

I do agree, they should have sent you a notification regarding the issue.

Skeptical,

Have you tried calling their Customer Support?
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Skeptical, you've been enlightened!

Just kidding! Anyway...

Whether people believe it or not, Go Daddy does try to notify the
    registrant and contacts of a domain name if they get an invalid
    WHOIS report. If I recall right, they'll do all 3: phone, fax, and via
    email.

If they don't get a response after a certain time frame (5 days, I
    think), then they'll shut down the domain.

Even if we don't necessarily agree with their policies, we have to
    do what they ask if we want our domains to remain active, safe,
    and problem-free. (well, almost...)

As always, transfer away if you don't like their policies.

Originally posted by davezan
    Whether people believe it or not, Go Daddy does try to notify the registrant and contacts of a domain name if they get an invalid WHOIS report. If I recall right, they'll do all 3: phone, fax, and via email.
    Nope didn't get notice that the last name was invalid. The domain just got suspended.

Got any domain name registrar recommendations?

Namecheap has been very good to me.

to bad to hear..
    Welcome to Namecheap.com
    Cheers,
    wmi

Some people love/hate godaddy, whatever works for you. RegisterFly is another good choice
    Domain Maven

I cannot think of many large holders using godaddy, they simply don't treat their customers properly.

https://www.tdnam.com/trpHome.aspx

They even have a market for the domains you have with them so people can bid before they expire. And when they do... sell em off. Registrars these days are just getting worse and worse and we're the losers of it all.
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out our WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks (Updated: Sep 2016), the most comprehensive look at WP performance

Godaddy had some nasty surprises for me too. Some support answers were very offensive. I moved to namecheap last year and I didnít have any problem since.

I currently use www.idotz.net.

I also had bad experiences with godaddy!!

I will only tell the not so bad one!

I had a .name domain of third level registred with them. One fine day and after renweing the domain they decided I could not change the forwarding settings for the domain.

They're excuse was that they were no longer offering third level registrations and services for .name domains, only second level.
    And because of that settings for third level .name domains were read-only.

So I was stuck with a domain I had paid and could not change settings.
    Could change nameservers, but dns services for a third level domain are diferent from the normal dns services that free dns companys offer.

Well that was the not so bad experience I had with godaddy, as I have had even worse experiences with them!
    Right now I'm in process of leaving them!
    One domain at a time transfering and other services too!
    Just had it! They have no respect for their customers!
    One thing I can promess you! They won't see one more cent from me!

I had exactly the same problem with GoDaddy as you, Skeptical.

I registered 5 domain names and, after about a week, GoDaddy cancelled them without giving me a reason or prior notice. The good news is that they refunded them, though. Also, my password for logging on to GoDaddy had changed.

When I contacted the GoDaddy customer services about this I got no reply and still haven't to this day (that's about 2 months now).

Now I just use 123-Reg (123-reg.co.uk) for my .co.uk domains... GoDaddy won't be seeing much of me again (even though their prices were nice).

Originally posted by dmaven
    Some people love/hate godaddy, whatever works for you. RegisterFly is another good choice
    I have been seeing alot of "RegisterFly Down again" forums lately... I would check into that before actually choosing them

Originally posted by Skeptical
    OK who erased my sig?
    the one thing that came to my mind was that i never knew that godaddy ever had a staff everytime i try to get tech support via long distance your usuallly on hold for quite some time

my question is why waste man power?
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

Originally posted by gilbert
    the one thing that came to my mind was that i never knew that godaddy ever had a staff everytime i try to get tech support via long distance your usuallly on hold for quite some time

my question is why waste man power?
    Everytime I use Godaddy Support.. I wait on the line for 5-10 mins..

Its WAY BETTER then Paypal Phone Support... I have spent HOURS on the line with Paypal before...

I have waited for 30mins!

so terrible

5-10 minutes on hold is average and normal, if it is toll-free it is even better. 30 minutes would be a problem
    Domain Maven

hmmm I guess they should have sent out a warning or notice ahead of time. But this again shows how important it is to keep the whois information up to date and correct
    * Losers make excuses - winners make it happen *
    The only way to discover the limits of the possibilities is to go beyond them into the impossible.

enom is good for name registered...i haven't had a problem with them at all as of now

Re: Godaddy SUCKS

Originally posted by Skeptical
    Godaddy.com does SUCK. I've been using them for a few years without incident. Then earlier this week they shut off my main site's domain just like that, without ANY notice. When I inquired about it I was told the whois info was invalid because in the registrant name field I had used an initial in my last name.
    Skeptical, was that domain originally registered with GoDaddy or transferred to them? Had you at some time, after the initial registration / transfer, gone and changed the contact details?

My point is that if GoDaddy deems the contact info to be wrong (e.g. having an initial instead of a full name), why do they allow a "wrong contact" to be registered in the first place? Why dont they signal the error before the registration is complete?

I too have had my share of problems with GD and now avoid them altogether.

Re: Re: Godaddy SUCKS

Originally posted by wbengal
    I too have had my share of problems with GD and now avoid them altogether.
    me too
    Domain Maven

I can't say it explains all the problems, but if you look at this thread we do see one example of how someone is using the time that you spend waiting on hold for some appropriate tech support:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=422587

Namecheap rules
    have been using this for 2 years without any problems
    ServerFreak Malaysia Web Hosting
    Malaysia Web Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Server
    Y!: serverfreak | MSN: serverfreak @ passport.com

I have Godaddy's basic $4/month webhosting. My webpages are very simple. So far it has worked well for me. Server reliability has been excellent. I don't scientifically monitor them, but my spot checks have shown no down time since I started using them Sep 2004.