Good Dedicated Server for Game Servers?

I'm looking for an EXCELLENT dedicated server provider located in Texas for Game Servers. I need this location to have good pings at Mexico. I'm looking for something around $70 monthly. It will be for personal use and not selling game servers.

Thanks & Regards.

If you're in Mexico someplace in Texas would likely work well, and in your price range you're probably looking for a server from LayeredTech.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Do they offer good bandwidth for gaming servers? Good latency?

LucasGE,

They're out of the SAVVIS datacenter the last I checked, I haven't had much experience with them but nonetheless you don't read too many bad things about them around here.

Do a search nonetheless.

You can find out more details at their site:
    http://www.layeredtech.com
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

No, I just want something good. Ok, forget the price range, recommend me some good dedicated server providers for Game Servers. Good bandwidth and latency. It's just for a few game servers. (6 - 7 Maybe?) Also I would need to know what kind of machine should I get for this. I havn't ever managed Game servers.

Thank you.

LucasGE,

for 6 or 7 of them I would recommend even stepping it up a notch hardware wise and going for a dual xeon.

There are going to be companies with better pings for Mexico "outside" of texas, distance really doesn't play an insane role these days with some of the companies and their ninja routing.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

There is a company I can't remember right now, providing AMD Barton 3000+ at around 60 - 70 managed. Anyone know it?

LT or any one of their resellers should be able to get you a good connection out of Texas, there are also a number of other providers in various other facilities in TX that may be able to get you competative pricing and an equally strong network.

I suggest using the *SEARCH* feature and checking the offers forums.

Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz
    80GB IDE Hard Drive
    1024MB RAM
    Bandwidth: 1000GB
    Private VLAN
    Tier 1 Bandwidth = 1000 GB Bandwidth
    Operating System = Windows 2003 Standard
    Control Panel Software = *No Control Panel
    Uplink Port Speed = 100 Mbps Uplink

Is this good? And for how much servers?

LucasGE

That really all depends on the number of gamers in each, but for example a cs game requires 90MB of ram "to start".

RAM might be your limitation afterall but depends - give it a shot and test. Properly configure them and you shouldn't have a problem reaching the goal.

Don't run any web services on the same machine though - espescially mysql.
    David

How much servers do you think I could hold with this:

AMD 3000+ Barton
    36GB SCSI Hard Drive 10K RPM
    1024MB RAM
    Bandwidth: 1000GB
    Tier 1 Bandwidth
    Secondary SCSI Hard Drive = 36GB SCSI Hard Drive
    Windows 2003 Standard
    Drive Controller = IDE
    Uplink Port Speed = 100 Mbps Uplink

Around 16 slots each server.
    Last edited by LucasGE; 06-22-2005 at 05:46 PM.

I had a great experience with a ezzi.net dual xeon server. It is probably a little out of your price range, but at peak usage we had 5 Call of Duty servers running on it, Teamspeak, 1 Battlefield 1942 server, 1 Halo server, 1 Unreal Tournament, and 1 CS server and it ran 2 phpNuke websites.

It was in New York, but I had 22ms pings from Florida and one guy in Seattle has a 45 ping, not bad at all. I'd highly recommend them for any game server.

What game are you planning on running?

Dual Xeon is really the way to go with game servers, we've always had trouble with Dual Opterons or single CPU systems.

For 6-7 games you should be looking at a Dual Xeon which even from a cheaper company like LT will run you close to $200 per month.

Originally posted by HP-David
    LucasGE,

for 6 or 7 of them I would recommend even stepping it up a notch hardware wise and going for a dual xeon.

There are going to be companies with better pings for Mexico "outside" of texas, distance really doesn't play an insane role these days with some of the companies and their ninja routing.

dual xeon for 6 or 7 gameservers, you gotta be kidding, a p4 can handle em just fine. P4 2.8 HT or something like that with a gig of ram.

Good Dedicated Servers

Hi,

I wonder if you would consider a provider with a NOC (DC) on the west coast near California?! You are very likely to come across hosting companies which offer good branded servers at prices well within your budget
    Telepacket Inc.
    http://hostingpacket.com (Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Dedicated Hosting)
    Phone: 1-888-711-6081
    Email: [email protected]