Paypal Tech Support based out of Thailand?

I didn't know Paypal phone support was based out of Thailand till I wait for an hour on hold with them today..I know the last time I called them I got a English speaking person...anyone know when they switched?

Outsourcing is the business flavor of the month. Since last year when I call tech support in the company I work for I'm patched over to IBM India even though it's an internal issue.

i called them friday/thursday(last week) and they were english
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

I'm sure the service is in English not Thai (if you're calling from an English speaking country). Just that the call is being taken by a rep in Thailand. The IT support for the company I work for is all in English but in India. Heavy accents but English.

Outsourced Support Companies techs cannot speak in pure American Accent but you can get someone to do 24x7 phone support for you and that is what your customers need. Customers are hardly able to recognise the location of phone support rep as every other phone operator they call has got Non American accent.

I think quality of service and 24x7 support for customers is most important and it should not make any difference if the call center is based in any other country.

Originally posted by etechsupport2
    ... as every other phone operator they call has got Non American accent.
    How many companies have you called?
    Pretty much all of the outsourced tech supports I've talked to I can barely understand.
    The tech supports from the Asian countries are much easier to understand than the Indian based ones though.
    Haven't been on WHT for 6 years!

jasong,

India also comes under Asia but most of the companies like Microsoft, Aol, Google, IBM, HP, Dell & other top companies of world have setup their own offices in India and they have Trainers to train the phone support techs who are trained to get close to American Accent. Phone Support providers for hosting companies dont have such kind of training program as phone support for the biggest hosting company would need close to 3 - 4 operators online at a time and that is negligible infront of the top companies who have setup offices in India.

Web Hosting in itself has remained a very low margin business and you cannot expect support companies to keep top class trainers top train the phone support techs as what they get from hosting companies is very very less compared to what the inhouse staff gets paid for same work.

When you outsource your phone support then you do that to cut cost and offer 24x7 support to your customers and you have compromise on Accent of the techs as thats the only drawback of outsourcing.
    Last edited by etechsupport2; 06-28-2005 at 06:06 AM.

Originally posted by jasong
    Pretty much all of the outsourced tech supports I've talked to I can barely understand.
    The tech supports from the Asian countries are much easier to understand than the Indian based ones though.
    A LOT of companis in the U.S. outsource to companies in the U.S. Outsource doesn't mean that it has to go overseas, so you'll be surprised. I can name about 10 major companies that outsource to a U.S. company.

Originally posted by jasong
    . Since when did India remove itself from Asia?
    <?php include_once('signature'); ?>

Originally posted by N9ne
    . Since when did India remove itself from Asia?