Car Insurance in the US?

Ive just been discussing with some friends about how unfair it is here in the UK for new drivers. We are very heavily charged for a car with any kind of power (I got a quote for an st200 for 16000 at 19)

Now, in america, you can drive at 16? And are there any limits as to what you can drive? You see 16 year olds in V8 mustangs etc...

*Scratches head* - what in the world is an "st200 for 16000 at 19"

Aside from not understanding that, in the US insurances rates are primarily tied to your age, sex, and type of vehicle you're driving. Males pay more. Teenagers pay way more. More expensive car will cost you more. Sports car will cost more than a Volvo.

Most states license drivers at age 16, others have a variety of provisional licenses / regulations that place restrictions on driving, or simply do not allow it until a later age.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

16 thousand pounds did you mean and is that for a Ford Mondao ST200? Are you sure it's 16000 and not 1600?

Im lucky... Im 28 and pay next to nothing for my 2.8i
    -- Matthew

it was yes, the mondeo st200, and it was defenetly 16,000 because the person on the phone said : "most people dont earn that".

Its an outrage.

I have to wait now till im 22 for me to get one

i currently drive this: http://p-kings.com/mondeo. That costs me 2500 a year

That is a bit crazy. Do you have 2 years of no claims yet? or have you just passed your test recently? Look forwards to when your over 25 and have more no claims Dont crash or get in trouble with the police then it gets better.
    -- Matthew

Actually New York requres you to be 17 to have a license, unless you do a whole bunch of paperwork and regulation following (driving for 20 hours with a legal driver over 21) etc.. I know that for a basic car, like a honda civic, or a pontiac grand am or something, the cost for car insurance on me (at 17) is about $3k per year.

im in the UK and my insurance for a 1.4 Fiat Punto is £3400 (granted i have 3 points from my motorbike)

i havent got any no claims because i have been on company insurance for two years

the uk are horrid for insurance

Can you not try and put the policy under someones elses name and you be an additional named driver? It works out much cheaper, I pay only £800 or so for a BMW 320D SE (from Norwich Union) and have been quoted only about £1600 for a group 17 insurance car (BMW 530I sport) Pretty good considering I'm only 20 and my younger brother also on the insurance policy is 19.
    Ionplex.com - high quality web solutions

the problem with that though is the Terms and Conditions say i cant drive the car all teh time...

i will only be insured to drive it 'now and again'