Meta Keywords.. How many Keywords is too Much

I have a question I hope someone can answer here..

Currently I have a problem in the search engines if I do a search for my site name directly it comes up on top but if I search for my main product keywords that are in my meta tag I can never find my site not even in the first 50 pages of search engine listings.

I noticed that one of my competitors has only 2 keywords in his meta tag for his site while another has probably 50 keywords each of the different products he has.

So my question is this.. Is there a limit to how many keywords you can put in the meta tag or should I be putting all my products that I want to pop up in the search in there rather than just the main product.

After all I want people searching for any of my products to find my site easily.

I want to not put too many keywords if it is something that spiders will skip over.

Is there any rule to the max keywords in that meta tag ?

Thanks much for any tips on this.

Western Australia
    are you talking about the meta keywords tag?

the meta keywords tag is generally ignored by most of the major search engines that you need to worry about. (Google, Yahoo! & MSN).

make sure you label each and every page on your site related to the content of that page.

eg; say you offer sony dvd burners, you will have a dedicated sony dvd burner page at label the title <title>Your Company - Sony DVD Burners</title>

<meta name="description" content="Our company offers a variety of sony dvd burners online for purchase">

try and make sure you have a heading on that page <strong><h1>Sony DVD Burners</h1></strong> & content related to sony DVD burners.

Do some keyword research at the likes of

alt tag your logo or an image on that page alt="Sony DVD Burners">

look to submit to a few directories, start at

submit to and consider a yahoo directory listing.

wait and see what happens.

SEO is trial & error, adjust accordingly and keep at it.
    SEO ain't rocket science, alot of it is common sense. Apply that common sense then you should be right.

Good luck with it.
    Freelance SEO Consultant - Been there, done that. Will do it again!