Question Q's about putting domains up for sale at sedo & greatdomains.com

I'm finally going to put some of my domains up for sale that I haven't been using for years now. I've decided that sedo and/or greatdomains.com would work for me but I have some questions.

First, I know that greatdomains.com might not even take any of my names, but just in case, I thought I'd ask some people who know more about this than I.

Okay:
    1 - Can I list a domain at both sedo and greatdomains, or does one/the other not permit that?

2 - If I park a domain at sedo, can I still list it for sale at greatdomains?

Greatdomains says that the seller sets a minimum reserve price.

3 - How is that reserve price determined? Would I just choose a price or do they 'suggest' a price or range?

4 - Do the buyers ever know what the reserve is/was?

5 - If I were to set a reserve of $1,000 and some buyer offered $800, would I ever know about it? Or is that what the reserve price does; cause lower bids to be filtered out and not even get to me?

6 - If a buyer offers below the reserve, are they told that it was too low?

7 - Their FAQ says that after an offer is made, my "account manager will then facilitate the negotiation process". What does that really mean?

8 - Sedo drops the minimum fee amount if my domain is parked there. If it's a domain I'm not using, is there any reason for me NOT to park it?

9 - I ASSume that my registrar stays the same, so (depending on my registrar) could I park it at sedo and still utilize my email addresses at that domain?

10 - Sedo's faq says 'you negotiate directly with the bidders'. Does that mean that I'm exchanging emails back and forth with the bidder? Or does it go 'through' sedo/sedo's website?

11 - I have some domains that I'd love to just get $50 for (and might not get more than $10). With sedo's minimum charges (waived if I 'park') and charges for front page listing and/or domain appraisal, even that $50 goes pretty fast. Is it even worth it to try and sell something I think might be worth $50 or $20 or even less?

Thanks for any help you all can provide.
    Last edited by FrankieG; 06-21-2005 at 11:51 PM.

I really don't know about GreatDomains... but I can tell you that as far as I can recall, all offers for my domains at Sedo have come through to me (none that I know of have been "filtered out"). I have, as a result of having some domains offered on Sedo, had several people try to bypass Sedo make me offers direct to the email listed in my domain's whois record. Most of these offers were "suspicious" in that they offered extremely low offers or wanted some sort of confusing partnership (mostly where I took all the risk ).

On the other hand, the negotiation on Sedo does take place online in your private account section. You receive an email from Sedo itself that someone has made an offer on your domain and you are encouraged to respond by logging into your account and responding by accepting or making a counteroffer. You can send some text back and forth, but it is moderated by Sedo (to rightfully protect their commission). The nice thing is that it maintains a record by a third party (Sedo) as to the negotiations and then, of course, Sedo helps with the escrow and collection of funds.

If, as you state, you have some low dollar domains that you trying to sell, you might try putting them on eBay with a reserve and then posting a link to the auction on the various domain name forums and in the advertising forums here on WHT.

In a nutshell, if you need money, you sell on the reseller market as described in the paragraph above. WHT, DNForum, etc.. If you believe you have a domain name that is really worth it, then you have to take the "patience is profitable" track like BuyDomains.

BTW, apparently, you can list your domain name for sale on BuyDomains for free and negotiate directly with the potential buyer - but I've never tried it.

Overall, though, I think Sedo has been fair to me. It has given my domain names more exposure than they probably would have received by themselves. I have received an "okay" amount of parking money for clickthroughs although I can usually do better by placing my own links with appropriate affiliate sites (that is a pain though). Sedo keeps track of traffic and clickthroughs and they've always paid me what they said they would.

Just some random thoughts... I guess I'm more tired than I thought
    Last edited by 4solutions; 06-22-2005 at 12:25 AM.
    You may delay, but time will not. --- Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for the reply 4solutions

Originally posted by 4solutions
    as far as I can recall, all offers for my domains at Sedo have come through to me (none that I know of have been "filtered out").

You receive an email from Sedo itself that someone has made an offer on your domain and you are encouraged to respond by logging into your account and responding by accepting or making a counteroffer. You can send some text back and forth, but it is moderated by Sedo
    So how exactly does the 'reserve price' work at Sedo? If you have a $100 reserve price and somebody offers $60, are you 'allowed' to take it? If all offers come through and you can accept below-reserve offers, then what was the point of setting a reserve? I just don't quite understand how they work it.

If you believe you have a domain name that is really worth it, then you have to take the "patience is profitable" track like BuyDomains.

BTW, apparently, you can list your domain name for sale on BuyDomains for free and negotiate directly with the potential buyer - but I've never tried it.
    I'll have to check out BuyDomains; I don't know how they work.
    Thanks again.

I suggest you have your domains listed as "Make Offer" on Sedo. People WILL low ball you... but as you negotiate, you get a feel for how bad they want it. You might want to check out Sedo's FAQ's at: http://www.sedo.com/faq/index.php?&language=us

and, more specifically, about the difference between ‘Fixed Price’, ‘Asking Price’ and ‘Minimum Offer’ at: http://www.sedo.com/faq/index.php?ac...en&language=us
    You may delay, but time will not. --- Benjamin Franklin

1 - Can I list a domain at both sedo and greatdomains, or does one/the other not permit that?
    yes its possible to list both, they allow it

2 - If I park a domain at sedo, can I still list it for sale at greatdomains?
    same as above

Greatdomains says that the seller sets a minimum reserve price.

3 - How is that reserve price determined? Would I just choose a price or do they 'suggest' a price or range?
    i think they suggest you a price if you dont have a price in mind and they help you in determining the right price for the domain

4 - Do the buyers ever know what the reserve is/was?
    no they dont

5 - If I were to set a reserve of $1,000 and some buyer offered $800, would I ever know about it? Or is that what the reserve price does; cause lower bids to be filtered out and not even get to me?
    yes they will inform you

6 - If a buyer offers below the reserve, are they told that it was too low?
    they will tell him the min offer should be in X range

7 - Their FAQ says that after an offer is made, my "account manager will then facilitate the negotiation process". What does that really mean?
    means GD agent will pass the words between the buyer and seller to reach final price not like sedo where u can discuss via online negotiation thread

8 - Sedo drops the minimum fee amount if my domain is parked there. If it's a domain I'm not using, is there any reason for me NOT to park it?
    the minimum fee of transfer not the price paid for the domain, and yet u can park domains without offering them for sale at sedo too

9 - I ASSume that my registrar stays the same, so (depending on my registrar) could I park it at sedo and still utilize my email addresses at that domain?
    yes you can, just URL frame or forward the domain to www.sedoparking.com/example.com

10 - Sedo's faq says 'you negotiate directly with the bidders'. Does that mean that I'm exchanging emails back and forth with the bidder? Or does it go 'through' sedo/sedo's website?
    goes through sedo website like small forum thread without knowing each others and u can pass contact information there as the text is monitored

11 - I have some domains that I'd love to just get $50 for (and might not get more than $10). With sedo's minimum charges (waived if I 'park') and charges for front page listing and/or domain appraisal, even that $50 goes pretty fast. Is it even worth it to try and sell something I think might be worth $50 or $20 or even less?
    sedo charge 10% on any sale via the parking link where did u read they waive the fee if its parked there?
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Thanks for all the answers Bashar !

Originally posted by Bashar
    Originally posted byFrankieG
    11 - I have some domains that I'd love to just get $50 for (and might not get more than $10). With sedo's minimum charges (waived if I 'park') .... that $50 goes pretty fast.
    sedo charge 10% on any sale via the parking link where did u read they waive the fee if its parked there?
    The 'fee' I was referring to is the "minimum commision fee", not the 10% (the "$50" part of the: 10% of sales price with a minimum of $50). This minimum charge defeats any sale of under $50, so selling a domain for even $50 would be a waste of time. But if the domain is parked there, then there is no $50 minimum so I could sell a domain for $50 and walk away with $45 instead of nothing.

http://www.sedo.com/services/prices.php3?language=us
    "New! Park your domain with Sedo and pay no minimum commission fee!"

Thanks again!
    Last edited by FrankieG; 06-22-2005 at 03:46 PM.

yeah its 10% with no minimum so if you sell a domain for $60 for example the fee is $6
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

FrankieG,

The domain name should be parked at Sedo in order to have 10% commission fee. Also it depends on your domain name extension as well
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.