Big or small problem... or not a problem at all?

Just wondering, when renting a dedicated server, should you always have at least 10 times more bandwidth than HDD space? For example, is it justified to have a 160 GB HDD but only 1000 GB webspace? this is one of the main things I look at when finding a dedicated server for myself.

I recently bought one because it has 160 GB webspace and 2000 GB bandwidth. The other ones I had were 1000 GB bandwidth so that is why i'm wondering.

Is webspace:bandwidth ratio important or no?

Keep in mind, the sole purpose of my dedicated server is to sell web hosting so I would like my hosting packages to have 10 times more bandwidth than webspace.

Well it depends on what kind of hosting you are doing.. Adult sites take up alot of transfer but personal sites much less.. It would depend on what you are targeting..

cheeky,

that should be one of the last things on your list of concerns, unless you plan on MASSIVELY overselling.

the reason i'm concerned about this is because I don't want to oversell bandwidth

just keep in mind that 2000gb / 20gb per account = 100 accounts * $5/month = $500/month revenue - $200 server cost does not equal $300 profit.

im not sure what you mean, can you explain that a little more?

Originally posted by TulipSystems
    just keep in mind that 2000gb / 20gb per account = 100 accounts * $5/month = $500/month revenue - $200 server cost does not equal $300 profit.
    Surely the gross profit on that *DOES* equal $300/m :p

Anyway, in answer to Mr.Cheeky - no there is no set formula and neither does there need to be.
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

so do you think it would be okay to have a dedicated server with 200 gb webspace, 1000 gb bandwidth, and be able to sell web hosting packages like the ones here?

Sell at the prices that fit your market. What type of people are you trying to target with your business plan?
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

just any type of people, theres no one specifically

If I were you I woulda done so.. by the time you sold out all your space and you need more you should just upgrade to a bigger disc when needed, when you'r clients "buy you out" of the space.. if you know what I mean.. so I woulda started with a small one, then upgrade evreything when stuff are selling if you'r not even sure who to target you probably dont have the perfect plan, so stay with small lowcost stuff until you know you make profit outta it..
    my 2c ..and I'm n33b

Originally posted by othellotech
    Surely the gross profit on that *DOES* equal $300/m :p

Anyway, in answer to Mr.Cheeky - no there is no set formula and neither does there need to be.
    well technically yes, but as such with most new hosts they forget important things like licensing, support, disaster, etc.

well, in that case, i'd make about $290 because the only other thing I have to pay for monthly is a clientexec license.. but then again, $290 isnt the gross profit once again, it will be a little lower because of paypal fees

yeah, expect roughly 4% from paypal

and whats your time supporting the clients worth ? all of that goes into working out the nett profit

but we digress, if you're not overselling then you need to build and price the plans according to what you want to make from the server, and to differentiate your offering somehow from the million other hosts out there
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules